Rico Gathers Espn Sports Science

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Basketball is a very physical sport with no pads, especially for the bigs. He will have no trouble catching the ball, no trouble running hard through contact, no problem running routes.

The issues for basketball converts are understanding passing schemes, how to read a defense and run the correct route at a split second so he doesn't hang the QB out with an int.....and then there's the blocking schemes as well.

Broges74

JerryJonesMustGo
Reaction score
Lol. Guys like him don't get laid out. It's not like he's a track star, then your comment would make sense.

Mike Tyson said it best, everyone has a plan until they get hit. Big guys are not, this is the NFL where you nightmares are real.

Cowboy06

Professional Positive Naysayer
Reaction score
I'm curious about the guy, but a lot of the catches in those clips weren't clean. He looks like he's fighting the ball.

Give it time. I think he will be fine if he can get the basics down. If not, it was just another 6th round pick...If we hit on it...man oh man...

conner01

Reaction score
Rico is a long ways from being a football player. He has to learn to be a natural pass catcher, run routes, block, heck he even needs to learn the rules and language of the game. But he is a freakish athlete with huge hands and in a short time of working with Flynn made some huge strides. He's not going to help you this year but with his size and athletic ability, if he is motivated to put in the work he could develope into a solid weapon. He needs to start today and work every single day on it, but he appears to be serious about it. You can teach a guy the game, you can't teach that size and athletism

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
Interesting prospect, for sure. You have to wonder, though, if this kid could have been signed as an UDFA. He'll definitely be one of those interesting camp watches, for sure.

maybe but we might of had to fight with other clubs for his rights then.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score

don't think he meant this year, but I do know what he meant. How many years does Witten have left? Have to find someone somewhere. Think maybe the Cowboys are hoping this guy can be that guy in a few years.

vicjagger

Reaction score
If I may be so bold as to use the term recently invented by the infamous Bosstapp, he's prospectacular.

dallasdave

Reaction score
I just have to expand on this little caveat because it clearly highlights the things I witnessed for 3 straight days. Our front office was on point this year and very strategic in filling needs through the draft. This was the first draft in a very long time for me that was a real pleasure from start to finish. You nailed it here. Rico would have never signed as a UDRFA here given the log jam at TE. So we nabbed him with an inconsequential pick in the 6th. Two birds. One stone. We get a guy that we were interested in who would not have signed outside of the draft process and make him feel wanted (albeit behind the log jam) by drafting him. Brilliant.

:thumbup:

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Wow didn't realize he was that big.

Side note for mma fans Jon Jones is 6'4" with 84.5" reach lol

Maxmadden

Reaction score
I feel Basketball players are the best athletes and most basketball players, especially power and small forwards could be very good at football and the transition isn't that great.
Many of the skills of basketball translate to football. Positioning your body being the main one.

This is something that football players struggle with. That is why there have been successfull transitions from basketball to NFL TE. It comes natural to a BB player.

Don Corleone

Reaction score
Interesting prospect, for sure. You have to wonder, though, if this kid could have been signed as an UDFA. He'll definitely be one of those interesting camp watches, for sure.

He had 26 teams scouting him. Someone was going to draft him late.

DC Cowboy

Reaction score
I feel Basketball players are the best athletes and most basketball players, especially power and small forwards could be very good at football and the transition isn't that great.
Many of the skills of basketball translate to football. Positioning your body being the main one.

take a look at the forward from VCU, can't remember his name, but he is a guy I think NFL teams will look at next year.

chicago JK

Reaction score
I know it goes against everything Jerry stands for, but I hope they limit the vision of Gathers in his public words and just let him focus of getting a crash course on football play and tight end play until camp opens up. No need to make grand statements of Antonio Gates or future starter, etc. Just let him work on his craft quietly.

For Gathers, he should be living in Valley Ranch the next few months. Anytime a coach has time for you, he should take it. Anytime a QB wants to get some throwing in, he should be there. Right now is probably the best time for him. When camp opens up, there will be so many moving parts that he won't get as much one on one instruction. Now is the time where he should get a ton of one on one instruction.