***Rip on Romo Thread***

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
Stautner;4158599 said:
Well, you can if you want to be unreasonable.

With the 1st INT there was still almost 11 minutes in the 3rd Quarter - way too much time to pull in the reigns and risk changing the momentum.

With the second INT, that was the 7th play of that possession, and 5 of the 7 plays were runs. Besides, the pattern was a short one, not dowfield .... none of this was remotely Matrzesque.

The 3rd INT was pure improvisation by Romo, which is where he often gets in trouble.

Teams still score with the run. Look at the Ravens doing it as I type this message. It's about moving the chains, eating up the clock, giving the other team as little time to work with as possible.

Stautner

Reaction score
Zman5;4158624 said:
On the second INT, those 5 runs went for something like 7,6,4,7, 1 yards. The run game was working. It was 3rd and 2, and coach techmo calls a shot gun pass play. How can you say that is not a bad play calling? I would have either ran it or at least play action pass from a run formation. Why tell the whole world we are going to pass when the down and distance dictated that it could have been more of a run play?

The EASY answewr to your question is that we had been getting 1st downs from the shotgun on 3rd and short ALL GAME LONG up to that point, including times when it was 3rd and 2. Yes, there are some advantages you lose going from the shotgun, but there are advantages you gain, but it doesn't suit you to recognize that part of the equation.

It's easy to 2nd guess now, but considering how successful we had been on 3rd down throwing from the shotgun, that 2nd guessing has no foundation. It just amounts to judging after the fact based on the result rather than on what made sense at the time.

I am confident at the time you weren't screaming at Garrett through the TV when you saw the shotgun on 3rd and short, just like you weren't yelling at him the numerous other times throughout the game when we went from the shotgun on 3rd and short.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
mmillman;4158528 said:
:bow:

I agree 100%

Romo needs to manage a game better. That was pathetic.

Romo doesn't call the plays. You can give Garrett part of the blame for that.

Stautner

Reaction score
Star4Ever;4158688 said:

You think Garrett called a play to throw into tight coverage or double coverage or to improvise and underthrow to the target on the improvisation? I really don't think those are in the playbook.

utrunner07

Reaction score
Star4Ever;4158688 said:

Um....actually....Im pretty sure most times they go to the line with a run and a pass called, it is then Romo's job to decide whether to check out / KILL KILL KILL!!!!! I may be wrong.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Stautner;4158705 said:
You think Garrett called a play to throw into tight coverage or double coverage or to improvise and underthrow to the target on the improvisation? I really don't think those are in the playbook.

Let's not get ridiculous. I'm not saying Garrett said, "Tony, I want you to throw into tight coverage and just see if they can make the interception". Garrett does what he always does. He gets too cute on a fairly regular basis. On third and 2, I want to see us either run the ball or at least stay out of the shotgun and take the snap from center. We either make the first down or we don't, but with a huge lead, punting is not always a bad thing. But, some of you guys absolutely never think Garrett makes a mistake. Have fun with that.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
utrunner07;4158716 said:
Um....actually....Im pretty sure most times they go to the line with a run and a pass called, it is then Romo's job to decide whether to check out / KILL KILL KILL!!!!! I may be wrong.

No, not anywhere near always.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
utrunner07;4158716 said:
I am jumping in at the middle of something that I could be reading wrong. If so, I apologize. The OC calls the play and an audible usually. The QB reads the Defense and has the option to check out as you say to the audible. It is kind of rare for QBs other than Peyton Manning to have total control of the play calls.

dboy214

Benched
Reaction score
Star4Ever;4158726 said:
Let's not get ridiculous. I'm not saying Garrett said, "Tony, I want you to throw into tight coverage and just see if they can make the interception". Garrett does what he always does. He gets too cute on a fairly regular basis. On third and 2, I want to see us either run the ball or at least stay out of the shotgun and take the snap from center. We either make the first down or we don't, but with a huge lead, punting is not always a bad thing. But, some of you guys absolutely never think Garrett makes a mistake. Have fun with that.
no point arguing with stautner, he was defending garrett after the jets debacle too.

RealCowboyfan

Championship
Reaction score
Point blank in order for Romo to succeed, Cowboys need a running game. That's how you can minimize mistakes from Romo and probably increase his success, than he's having just getting over 300 yards, he could probably win the game with a comfortable lead and not happen to work extra hard just to not lose the game. This is for Jason Garrett..... C'mon MAN!:bang2:

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
RealCowboyfan;4158747 said:
Point blank in order for Romo to succeed, Cowboys need a running game. That's how you can minimize mistakes from Romo and probably increase his success, than he's having just getting over 300 yards, he could probably win the game with a comfortable lead and not happen to work extra hard just to not lose the game. This is for Jason Garrett..... C'mon MAN!:bang2:

I just don't see how people continue to fail to realize this. Running the ball consistently requires toughness AND patience. It requires a mindset. You just can't give up on it, especially when you've got a huge lead in the second half. We didn't actually give up on running today, but we did not run the ball as much as we should have. The fact that Romo threw 47 passes pretty much proves that.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I'm not sure how they break it down, or how people want to slice it, but I know this.

When I see that a teams QB had 47 pass attempts that makes me cringe. Even when it happens to work out, as it has before with the Cowboys, that many pass attempts is simply too many.

Stautner

Reaction score
Star4Ever;4158787 said:
I just don't see how people continue to fail to realize this. Running the ball consistently requires toughness AND patience. It requires a mindset. You just can't give up on it, especially when you've got a huge lead in the second half. We didn't actually give up on running today, but we did not run the ball as much as we should have. The fact that Romo threw 47 passes pretty much proves that.

In the 2nd half we were running the ball 43% of the time until we lost the lead. Probably would have been more than that had Rom not throw a pick on 1st down.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Stautner;4158811 said:
In the 2nd half we were running the ball 43% of the time until we lost the lead. Probably would have been more than that had Rom not throw a pick on 1st down.

You see a problem with that? With a 24 point lead in the second half we should've been running the ball more than 43% of the time, especially on first down.

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
Star4Ever;4158821 said:
You see a problem with that? With a 24 point lead in the second half we should've been running the ball more than 43% of the time.

I agree. 60-70% ratio seems about right to me.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
ConcordCowboy;4157870 said:
He deserves to be ripped.

There is no defending him today.

But I will say that my helicopter ride in Kauai today after the game made me forget this game for awhile anyways.

Aloha!

You Dog! Man, I am jealous. I've been wanting to go to Hawaii for a few months now. I think I will go in Jan when I return from China. Have fun.

Stautner

Reaction score
Star4Ever;4158821 said:
You see a problem with that? With a 24 point lead in the second half we should've been running the ball more than 43% of the time, especially on first down.

JonJon;4158852 said:
I agree. 60-70% ratio seems about right to me.

So, with 87% of the 2nd half left to play we should have abandoned almost any semblance of the offensive style that had built the lead and pulled in the reigns?

I guess the defense should have quit attacking with 87% of the 2nd half left as well so as to avoid giving up a big play.

Just completely change what had been working to dominate the Lions to that point - and with 87% of the 2nd half left to play.

We did change - we were running more - but it would be absolutely moronic to compoletely bail on what had been working so successfully when there was some much of the game left to play. we pulled the reigns a little on the passing game, but there is no way we should have pulled the plug.

Besides, how many of that remaining 57% was dinks and dunks and screens? It's certainly not as if we were airing it out.

Garrett did what he needed to - pull the reigns in a bit and use mostly quick short passes, but at the same time recognize the bread and butter of the offense and allow that to contribute.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Stautner;4158894 said:
So, with 87% of the 2nd half left to play we should have abandoned almost any semblance of the offensive style that had built the lead and pulled in the reigns?

I guess the defense should have quit attacking with 87% of the 2nd half left as well so as to avoid giving up a big play.

Just completely change what had been working to dominate the Lions to that point - and with 87% of the 2nd half left to play.

We did change - we were running more - but it would be absolutely moronic to compoletely bail on what had been working so successfully when there was some much of the game left to play. we pulled the reigns a little on the passing game, but there is no way we should have pulled the plug.

Besides, how many of that remaining 57% was dinks and dunks and screens? It's certainly not as if we were airing it out.

Garrett did what he needed to - pull the reigns in a bit and use mostly quick short passes, but at the same time recognize the bread and butter of the offense and allow that to contribute.

You just don't get it, and I don't know if it's because you don't want to or just can't see it. I never said we should go to a 3 yards and a cloud of dust offense, but we have to be smart. Romo's first and third interceptions were not dink and dunk passes. They were dangerous passes. The slant was also a dangerous pass because it requires a lot of timing by the QB and the WR, and Robinson has almost no experience with Romo. You said yourself in one post that one of Romo's interceptions was on first down (his third interception actually). That was an extremely stupid play call given the situation. I just don't see how anyone can not find some (quite a bit if you ask me) fault with Garrett in losing this game. We couldn't even gain a half yard in the first quarter when we drove the ball on our second possession. I've seen enough the past 3-4 years to know this team lacks the toughness and/or preparation to have a consistently successful running game. That is on the coaching staff.

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
Stautner;4158894 said:

Completely bailing out would be a 100-0% run to pass ratio, which is not what we are suggesting. We are suggesting better ball control and game management. Just because one method was working to get us the lead doesn't mean we need to do the same thing for the remainder of the game.

There comes a time when you must adjust your game plan to situations of the game and clock. We failed to make the proper adjustments and it consequently put the team in position to lose the game.