Twitter: Rivera on McCarthy’s winning claim, “I think it’s a mistake”

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Is he suppose to say "I don't have faith in my players ability to win this game?" Just because some Cowboys fans are doubting the team right now, doesn't mean that they aren't going to have confidence that they can win this game. McCarthy said that he expects his team to win, that isn't exactly a guarantee. Jason Garrett staying silent did nothing to help the Cowboys at times in big divisional games that decided the winner of the NFC East or who was going to make the playoffs. The team still lost big division games when Garrett was the coach. And those teams didn't need any extra motivation to beat the Cowboys. So why would the WFT need McCarthy to give them the incentive to be motivated for this game?
He shouldn’t say anything publicly as such. Unless he’s worried we could lose.

Or he’s following in our owners footsteps providing confidence or selling hope to fans.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Is he suppose to say "I don't have faith in my players ability to win this game?" Just because some Cowboys fans are doubting the team right now, doesn't mean that they aren't going to have confidence that they can win this game. McCarthy said that he expects his team to win, that isn't exactly a guarantee. Jason Garrett staying silent did nothing to help the Cowboys at times in big divisional games that decided the winner of the NFC East or who was going to make the playoffs. The team still lost big division games when Garrett was the coach. And those teams didn't need any extra motivation to beat the Cowboys. So why would the WFT need McCarthy to give them the incentive to be motivated for this game?
Some people are just cowards.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It's good for the rivalry. Now, Jimmy's guarantee? That was a ballsy and outlandish statement and I'm glad McCarthy wasn't pounding his chest when he had his moment. Gives the mediots something to chirp about and I think it kind of backs the WFT into a corner. Let's see who comes out punching. I want to see the Cowboys get back into smash mouth mode.
That’s a possibility. He was just following Jethro’s prompt to promote viewership for the game and hope for the fans.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
He shouldn’t say anything publicly as such. Unless he’s worried we could lose.

Or he’s following in our owners footsteps providing confidence or selling hope to fans.

Could the same be said for Rivera? Are fans going to say that he should have just stayed silent, not respond to McCarthy and just let his team do the talking on the field on Sunday? Now if the Football team loses, there will be people saying that he just gave the Cowboys bulletin board material, just like some will claim that McCarthy gave the Football team bulletin board material if the Cowboys lose.

Reactions: CWR

LucaBrasi

Sleeps with the fishes
Reaction score
It’s interesting that MJM would pick this week to casually throw out a guarantee.

As many have pointed out, it’s really about getting his own team some confidence.

but Big Mike also has a good memory. He mentioned to the team during the preseason, that the Cardinals “kicked your *** last year.” Pretty weird to bring that up in preseason. I’m certain MM vividly recalls Bostic destroying Dalton last year and his team’s tepid response to it, as well as the WFT taking delight in burying his team in the 4Q last year on Thanksgiving.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
LOL......this is taking a life of its own but if MM wanted spice up the rivary, mission accomplished. I thought they would ignore it but looks as if Rivera is using to get his guys fired up.....big time.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Could the same be said for Rivera? Are fans going to say that he should have just stayed silent, not respond to McCarthy and just let his team do the talking on the field on Sunday? Now if the Football team loses, there will be people saying that he just gave the Cowboys bulletin board material, just like some will claim that McCarthy gave the Football team bulletin board material if the Cowboys lose.
Did Rivera guarantee a Wash win?
I thought he just said McCarthys guarantee was a mistake.

CWR

Reaction score
The players didn’t guarantee a win. McCarthy did.

How critical is this win to the confidence of this team . If we lose could this become a dumpster fire?

I think this game is bigger for his leadership of this team than most want to admit. I’m going to say it’s the biggest game of his Cowboy stint thus far. That’s probably why he chose making such a bold statement this week . That’s makes it more about him .

It absolutely is his biggest game as a Cowboy. This game all but wins the division for us.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Washington always, always gets up to play Dallas. Every year when Dallas goes to DC, the fans are rabid and the Skins play that way.

Nothing McCarthy said will make Washington play any harder than they already were.

On the other hand, I think that this very well could galvanize Dallas and make them backup what their coach said.

I see nothing negative that could come from it, as far as Dallas is concerned. However, I do see a chance that it can be a positive for the Cowboys.

At worst, it won’t make a damn bit of difference. At best, Dallas actually has the same intensity that the skins always have.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Of course but the fact he felt this was necessary this week brings it into question. Is he concerned we could lose and the team needed this?
I already responded to you upon the subject and do not feel the need to repeat myself.