Twitter: Rivera on McCarthy’s winning claim, “I think it’s a mistake”

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Psychology is huge in sports....it's become a big thing, coaches need to pick their spots...this team needs to be called out right now.....I'm glad he did it.
Now we’re getting somewhere.

Why does he feel this team needs to be called out right now?

CWR

Reaction score
It’s interesting that MJM would pick this week to casually throw out a guarantee.

As many have pointed out, it’s really about getting his own team some confidence.

but Big Mike also has a good memory. He mentioned to the team during the preseason, that the Cardinals “kicked your *** last year.” Pretty weird to bring that up in preseason. I’m certain MM vividly recalls Bostic destroying Dalton last year and his team’s tepid response to it, as well as the WFT taking delight in burying his team in the 4Q last year on Thanksgiving.

There was way too much hype from them beating down our JV squad last year. I cant wait to kill em Sunday.

Nav22

Reaction score
Did anyone actually see McCarthy say this?

Honestly, it seemed like it kinda slipped out accidentally.

As if he wanted to say, “We’re going to try to win” and instead he said, “We’re going to win.”

The reason I say that is because he was asked a minute later about bulletin board material for Washington and he seemed almost embarrassed, saying something like, “Well what am I supposed to say? Of course I think we’ll win...”

My point being, I don’t think he had any intention of making such a bold statement when he started his presser. It kind of slipped out and has now taken on a life of its own.

Oh well. We’ll kick their ***es anyways.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Probably because they aren't playing up to their capabilities and they are out of excuses. Time to make a run. Can't take the back door into the playoffs and expect success.
Yep
See, there’s more to why he felt this team needed this. I think he’s feeling this could blow up if we come up short this week.

Reactions: CWR

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Whether you like him or not as HC, McCarthy always displays confidence in his team. That means a lot to his players.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think the fact that the staff is back and most of the injured players are back......plus playing a division rival makes this a very important game.
No doubt it’s an important game.

I’m going to call it the biggest game in his Cowboy tenure to this point.

I think he’s feeling the weight of this game and what a loss could do to the psyche of the team. And the effects it could have on the season and possibly his future here. I’m going to go out on a limb and say he’s coaching for his job Sunday.

This all might explain why he felt this was the moment needed to guarantee a win.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
The last time McCarthy arrogantly said something was after the Denver game when him and Dak both said "I hope every team from here on out play us the way Denver played us".

Yeah, well, careful what ya wish for.

McCarthy and this team isn't good enough to guarantee anything without sounding stupid.

If you lose after guaranteeing a win you should be fired on the spot.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
No doubt it’s an important game.

I’m going to call it the biggest game in his Cowboy tenure to this point.

I think he’s feeling the weight of this game and what a loss could do to the psyche of the team. And the effects it could have on the season and possibly his future here. I’m going to go out on a limb and say he’s coaching for his job Sunday.

This all might explain why he felt this was the moment needed to guarantee a win.
Let's hope he's right

rambo2

Reaction score
The last time McCarthy arrogantly said something was after the Denver game when him and Dak both said "I hope every team from here on out play us the way Denver played us".

Yeah, well, careful what ya wish for.

McCarthy and this team isn't good enough to guarantee anything without sounding stupid.

If you lose after guaranteeing a win you should be fired on the spot.
Talk about sounding stupid, you take the fing cake.

Mannix

Reaction score
I am more worried about firing the refs up to screw us over....Corky, just keep your mouth shut!!!

slick325

Reaction score
As big as the game is for the WFT, division title hopes and playoff ramifications, I find it hard to believe that this statement finally convinces Washington to play really hard and really well. If that is the motivation, Dallas may beat this team by 17+ on Sunday.