Ro McClain's house fire ruled arson

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nobody's missing that fact, thats the entire point of this thread. I'm taking issue with you acting like paying someone to burn your house down to claim insurance is common as ordering take out. When someone Burnt his house down saying he did it is just jumping to conclusions with no evidence of anything. It was in December meaning he got paid the majority of this years salary, probably had some Oakland money left over even after his divorce and was going to have to wait for any insurance payout. Why then when all you had to do was wait a couple of months for a new deal from a team risk going to jail when you already have priors and a bad rep.

It seems less likely that he would have the motivation to do this than millions or ordinary Joes. Many reports when the Cowboys got him was that he didn't need money and that was the reason that he was a threat to retire again. He got about 30M from the Raiders and is said to have been responsible in his spending. He was known more for hunting/fishing than blinging-out.

Vacant houses are commonly the target of arson and vandalism. I had a vacant house for awhile and people were constantly breaking into in and this was in the middle of a neighborhood where the houses averaged about 800K.

A regular Joe could be under extreme duress if he was about to be foreclosed on, but I don't see McClain being under duress because a vacant off-season house was for sale.

Summary:
It seems like his motivation would be very low and lower than the average Joe's motivation to burn his own house down.

On the flip side, McClain probably had more people that have an ax to grind with him and most average Joes. His ex wife or probably any number of old associates that thought he should have given them big wads of money.

yimyammer

Reaction score
I agree 100% with what you're saying but the problem is that most athletes don't see it that way. They tend to not exactly be the most fiscally responsible people in the first place. Furthermore, they see contracts as another way of "keeping score" of how much they get relative to other players. So the last thing on their mind is how far their dollar goes in Texas relative to, say, California.

Compounding the problem is the fact that you have agents - some of the worst scumbags on the planet - interested only in maximizing the bottom line for themselves and not necessarily acting in their client's best interest.

Now don't get me wrong... a lot of athletes factor in things besides money.... I'm just saying that those who are interested in money tend to ignore things like tax rates, cost of living, etc...

No doubt but if jerri is the great salesman everyone proclaims him to be, then he should be at least attempting to make these points in addition to another aspect I forgot to mention, that being the prestige of playing for the Cowboys (most valuable franchise, etc). If they can simply negotiate an average of 5% savings across a 140M cap, that would free up an additional 7 million that could be used to sign one or two key guys. It doesn't take a huge discount for it to add up and I think they should fight for every dollar, especially in a competitive league where every edge counts.

Something I'd like to know is if jerri/cowboys mgt could work out a marketing package with its sponsors in advance that could represent $X dollars per year to players that met their marketing requirements. Then they could go to a player and say we'll pay you $X/yr and when you sign the contract you'll automatically get another $Y/yr from our sponsors. It could be the extra juice that gets us some key players but I don't know if this has been addressed in the rules to the point where its not allowed.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I like you as a poster on football subjects, so don't take this the wrong way, but I'm curious about your age and background. You seem to have different take on the off-field issues than most people around here.

So what, the only thing we all share is our love for the Cowboys. We don't talk politics or religion because they are lightning rods. But some people immediately start to insult people if they disagree with them. I don't take it personal until they do.

justbob

Just taking it easy
Reaction score
Keep it between the lines gentlemen and ladies...Hate for another one of you to miss a day or so.

Rogah

Reaction score
No doubt but if jerri is the great salesman everyone proclaims him to be, then he should be at least attempting to make these points in addition to another aspect I forgot to mention, that being the prestige of playing for the Cowboys (most valuable franchise, etc). If they can simply negotiate an average of 5% savings across a 140M cap, that would free up an additional 7 million that could be used to sign one or two key guys. It doesn't take a huge discount for it to add up and I think they should fight for every dollar, especially in a competitive league where every edge counts.

Something I'd like to know is if jerri/cowboys mgt could work out a marketing package with its sponsors in advance that could represent $X dollars per year to players that met their marketing requirements. Then they could go to a player and say we'll pay you $X/yr and when you sign the contract you'll automatically get another $Y/yr from our sponsors. It could be the extra juice that gets us some key players but I don't know if this has been addressed in the rules to the point where its not allowed.
I am on the same page. While I think it would be illegal for the Cowboys/Jerruh to be involved, I do think playing here gives a lot more exposure for an athlete than just about anywhere else, and exposure = $$

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The local sports talk radio guys have asked free agent signing the question about the lower taxes in Texas many times and none of them that I know of really considered it part of their decision.

Rogah

Reaction score
The local sports talk radio guys have asked free agent signing the question about the lower taxes in Texas many times and none of them that I know of really considered it part of their decision.
Agreed. Heck, if that was something that athletes were taking into account, then the teams in the high-income-tax states would complain about the unfair advantage for the teams in the no-income-tax states and probably try to get some sort of salary cap adjustment.

But athletes don't care about these things so it isn't an issue.

yimyammer

Reaction score

Are you saying they asked the player or the agent?

I don't doubt most players fail to consider these issues considering how many end up broke. The agent certainly won't advocate for it since he doesn't want a lower contract given he is paid on a percentage. Uphill battle to be sure but I would still emphasize the tax advantage as one piece of the overall package that comes with playing for the Cowboys.

If I was the owner I'd hire talented people to teach my players money management, basic accounting, how to excel after their career, etc as a perk and as a way caring for the players. Since I would already be gravitating toward intelligent players, I'd like my chances of them grasping the financial advantages of playing for the Cowboys.

I'm not a jerri fan but the man has made a lot of money and I think a lot of players look up to him in that respect, he could use this influence to the teams betterment

yimyammer

Reaction score
I am on the same page. While I think it would be illegal for the Cowboys/Jerruh to be involved, I do think playing here gives a lot more exposure for an athlete than just about anywhere else, and exposure = $$

I admit it does sounds a little sketchy, but thats what people thought about big signing bonuses being prorated when SF did it in 94'

The Cowboys make more money than anyone and it would be great if that translated to some advantage on the field.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
This thread will be closed if you people continue to post out of bounds. First and only warning.

erod

Reaction score
Mostly, I think this story helps to reduce the amount of money teams will offer McClain, which could play into Dallas' hands in re-signing him.

However, if anything criminally gets attached to him over it, better to just move along.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Doubt he'll be able to demand any sort of contract.

Like the rest of the league has forgotten about his past?

Any contract he gets will be low risk.

This...are we forgetting Ro has some shade to his past? But no way, he's the most logical, sensible player we have seen in awhile? We got him cheap for a reason. All that said, I don't care if he did it or not, I would have him back regardless (well not if convicted obv.) because I like that squirley edge he brings. You need a little crazy on D.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Abode won't sell. House burns. Car reportedly scene driving away from the seen.
Arson ruled.
I think Barneby Jones should be called in.
Jerra, let us hold of on any negotiations with Ro. I half meine suspicions but it would be inappropriate to postulate what my big brain is thinking.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
This thread has also gotten on my last nerve and is being pruned to the Rant Zone where people can speak in unknown English dialects all they want.

khiladi

Reaction score
It was damn obvious that it was shady when it happened. I'm certainly no lawyer, but sounds like it could be a problem for Ro. Wonder if he was dumb enough to leave a paper trail back to himself that the police can find.

Seriously... Why would a property on sale for months and expensive invite arson for no reason? They aren't getting any real benefits out of it. It's not a big jump in rationale.

Last edited:

khiladi

Reaction score
I will continue to say that I will never understand why "fans" want players to play a game as violent, physical, long term health and potentially life threatening....for a discount!!!!!!!!!! Are the owners selling the game "experience" at a discount? Is there a "cap" on what tickets, parking, jerseys, beer, suites, hot dogs, popcorn, hats etc...can be sold at?

What's even more comical is having expectations for people that we don't have for ourselves? We leave jobs for more money all the time.

khiladi

Reaction score
and I'll never understand how "fans" can't comprehend how a player can net more money playing for a team in a city with no state income taxes, cheaper cost of living, better overall team (O-line) that can prolong his career and earnings not to mention the greater marketing opportunities (& therefore more money outside of their football salary) even though the actual salary paid is less than they could have received elsewhere. In other words, a player can make more by taking less with some teams and Dallas is one of those teams that can offer the benefits mentioned

That technically doesn't fall into a 'hometown' discount. :)

khiladi

Reaction score

That just shows how dumb they are. I read up a little on Lebron's decision to play in Miami as opposed to 'bigger' markets like New York, and the numbers are significant.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That just shows how dumb they are. I read up a little on Lebron's decision to play in Miami as opposed to 'bigger' markets like New York, and the numbers are significant.

For many of them it's about bragging rights more then the money itself.