Ro McClain's house fire ruled arson

Aven8

Reaction score
You're kidding me, arson?? What gave that away the unknown car fleeing the scene in a gated community?? :rolleyes:

I hope it Ro wasn't involved however. Dude is a stud and I want him back.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
These days, people break into abandoned homes to steal the copper wire and pipes. They also burn evidence that ties them to crimes. I live in the car theft capital of the world. Gangs steal cars to do a drive by or a robbery and the car is found somewhere burning up to erase the DNA evidence.

Could he have hired someone to do this? Of course he could have. Is it likely? No, because he will get less for it as an insurance pay off than he would on a sale because it doesn't cost as much to pay for the construction to rebuild. Maybe not even half. A completed home is worth more than the materials to build it, otherwise no one would build homes to sell them.

In other words, I doubt that he had anything to do with this, and even if he did, the likelihood of there being a way to tie him to this is slim and none. He wasn't there. From all I have heard no one can identify the car, meaning it could be any one of thousands in the area, and as I said, DNA evidence is probably long gone.

Will the rush to judge anything the Cowboys do is evil crowd ever concede that? Of course not. I am sure he has already been convicted in their court of public opinion.

Rogah

Reaction score
and I'll never understand how "fans" can't comprehend how a player can net more money playing for a team in a city with no state income taxes, cheaper cost of living, better overall team (O-line) that can prolong his career and earnings not to mention the greater marketing opportunities (& therefore more money outside of their football salary) even though the actual salary paid is less than they could have received elsewhere. In other words, a player can make more by taking less with some teams and Dallas is one of those teams that can offer the benefits mentioned
I agree 100% with what you're saying but the problem is that most athletes don't see it that way. They tend to not exactly be the most fiscally responsible people in the first place. Furthermore, they see contracts as another way of "keeping score" of how much they get relative to other players. So the last thing on their mind is how far their dollar goes in Texas relative to, say, California.

Compounding the problem is the fact that you have agents - some of the worst scumbags on the planet - interested only in maximizing the bottom line for themselves and not necessarily acting in their client's best interest.

Now don't get me wrong... a lot of athletes factor in things besides money.... I'm just saying that those who are interested in money tend to ignore things like tax rates, cost of living, etc...

Last edited:

black label

Reaction score
guilty.gif

Sportsbabe

Reaction score
Sure you do, why is it reasonable to suspect him of doing it then, when he's getting paid and has his career back on track and things are finally going well for him. A person can't sell a home for market value so the burn it down. That's reasonable if you are a lunatic. You are acting like paying someone to torch you home is as commonplace as your paper being delivered or getting a haircut, it's not, do not pretend like it is and try and convince yourself you aren't deluded as to claiming whats reasonable.

55 Likes

Reactions: BAZ

Sportsbabe

Reaction score
I don't know why you are taking it so personally.

You are missing one gigantic fact- The House WAS Burned Down

If I predicted McClain was going to burn his house down last year, that would be unreasonable. But someone burned his house down and based on what I have read about him and his actions in the past, I believe he could have done it.

Sorry if that violates some kind of code of yours, but I'm sure you'll get over it.

Thank you for finally getting to the heart of your entire argument.

Carolina Cowboy

Reaction score
No way the guy burned his own house down with all of the memories and memorabilia he had collected there. I'm just not buying into that ...

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Not sensitive, it's just stupid to call accusing someone of burning their house down with no evidence "reasonable".

Of course he's the number one suspect, he's the only suspect. Settle down Columbo

+1 for the use of Columbo. I was gonna run with Baretta.

Columbo's way better. ;)

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I think he may be looking for the big bucks a bit too soon in view of his somewhat limited playing time.
The fact that the destruction of his home is of such a suspicious nature may not help his cause, either.
Of course there's no justification to assume he's responsible but the possibility alone is just a bit scary.

Rogah

Reaction score
No way the guy burned his own house down with all of the memories and memorabilia he had collected there. I'm just not buying into that ...
While I realize the police need to perform due diligence, I don't buy it one bit either. He may have had the house insured for $1.5 million, but that doesn't mean that burning the house down gives him a $1.5 million gain.

Even if we accept the idea that maybe the house wasn't really worth the full $1.5 M, it would still have to be worth *close* to that amount. So the only financial gain from burning it is the difference between the insurance payout and what he would have gotten for the house when it sold. We're talking a couple hundred thousand, max. Yeah, lotta money for you and me but not much for millionaire athletes.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Doubt he'll be able to demand any sort of contract.

Like the rest of the league has forgotten about his past?

Any contract he gets will be low risk.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
While I realize the police need to perform due diligence, I don't buy it one bit either. He may have had the house insured for $1.5 million, but that doesn't mean that burning the house down gives him a $1.5 million gain.

Even if we accept the idea that maybe the house wasn't really worth the full $1.5 M, it would still have to be worth *close* to that amount. So the only financial gain from burning it is the difference between the insurance payout and what he would have gotten for the house when it sold. We're talking a couple hundred thousand, max. Yeah, lotta money for you and me but not much for millionaire athletes.

People with a lot more money than he has have committed crimes for even less. Money is always a strong motivator. It doesn't mean he's guilty but it can't be used to rule him out.

Frozen700

Reaction score
He's a good player, but not a guy I would go crazy about keeping.

Frozen700

Reaction score
Doubt he'll be able to demand any sort of contract.

Like the rest of the league has forgotten about his past?

Any contract he gets will be low risk.

Exactly what I was thinking. He played a pretty good year(Not Great) and thinks he's now due a big contract?

***** please

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They also said sources had told them that he's looking for the biggest pile of cash on his next deal, and that Dallas would get no hometown discount.
They have no clue what he is thinking.

Rogah

Reaction score
People with a lot more money than he has have committed crimes for even less. Money is always a strong motivator. It doesn't mean he's guilty but it can't be used to rule him out.
Committed crimes for less? Sure. Committed *arson* on a 7-figure home for a net gain of pennies on the dollar? Gotta say I can't think of any such examples.

I know your personal philosophy on life is everyone accused of a crime in the media must automatically be 100% guilty so lock 'em up, but the rest of this country doesn't work that way.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Committed crimes for less? Sure. Committed *arson* on a 7-figure home for a net gain of pennies on the dollar? Gotta say I can't think of any such examples.

I know your personal philosophy on life is everyone accused of a crime in the media must automatically be 100% guilty so lock 'em up, but the rest of this country doesn't work that way.

You obviously don't know anything about me sport.

But if you don't think someone would do something stupid and criminal for a 'few 100k' then you are being super naive. And you have no idea about how much he owes or stands to gain on the deal. You are just making up the pennies on the dollar.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, admitting the guy with the most to gain is the number suspect is going off the deep end

The insurance company is only going to pay market value. His list price will have no effect on the price set by the insurance company.

I don't know about that area, but it's not really a down real estate market this year around here. It's the best it's been in 10 years.

If he owe more than it's worth, then he can just let the bank take it and he owes nothing.

Multiple sources indicated back when the Cowboys signed him that he had managed his money from his first contract and didn't really need money as a motivation to un-retire. He got about 30M from the Raiders.

Vacant houses are the most likely to be the subject of random arson.

Rogah

Reaction score
You obviously don't know anything about me sport.
I know you always assume everyone is guilty, sparky.
But if you don't think someone would do something stupid and criminal for a 'few 100k' then you are being super naive.
First of all, a "few 100k" is the extreme high end of what he stood to gain. In all likelihood, the actual amount would be much, much less - and quite possible nothing at all (or even a negative amount).
And you have no idea about how much he owes or stands to gain on the deal. You are just making up the pennies on the dollar.
What he owes on the house is completely irrelevant. We know his house was insured for $1.5 million. Someday when you move out of your parents' basement, you'll learn that insurance companies don't insure houses for more than what they are worth. Theoretically, burning a house down should be a zero-sum game for the homeowner.

Realistically, it is possible that it was insured for more than the actual offers he was getting so while there may be a profit-motive, it is still not going to be a huge amount of money (by pro athlete standards). Pennies on the dollar.