Rob Ryan critiques our defense on the last drive

waldoputty

Reaction score
Rob Ryan's D gave up 35 or more points twice in 2 years here. Marinelli has done it 3 times in our first 5 games.

Defenses give up lots of points against great QBs.
There is no shame there.
The shame is when there is no adjustment (Jan game?) and refusal to adjust because that is 'my system'.

That is ok.
We will keep Marinelli for the rest of the year.
We get a better draft position that way.

Zman5

Reaction score
no he didnt
he said the linebackers didnt fill the gap on 1 play and didnt communicate on who takes the qb or rb in the next, that mike should spy Rodgers
he then said bad call by coordinator
not that Marinelli has a bad scheme no matter how many times you keep saying it

Did you watch the whole video? Obviously not. The words he used were "really bad playing and bad scheme". It's at the 39 second mark. Watch the whole video before making a dumb comment.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I guess I'll be that guy.

Gotta reserve judgment on Rod since that Chicago defense over his years there was one of the most playmaking defenses I've seen lately. It's up there with Seattle from a few years ago. They singlehandedly made that team competitive. QBs were scared in the pocket, and they forced a ton of turnovers.

They also had Julius Peppers, Briggs, Urlacher, and one of the most underrated corners in the modern era in Tillman.

I'm not opposed to replacing Rod, but I'd want to give him one more year with a front office that actually goes and gets some horses this off-season.

The Titans defense has also been pretty terrible and their coordinator is Dick LeBeau. Does anyone think he's a bad coach?
I think he's another old guy that people are figuring out or have figured out. It's a young man's game imo.....

gmoney112

Reaction score
Both those plays ended with the runners getting out of bounds, too. Just ****ty defense.

God, I hate not being able to field a defense that can beat teams on its own. It makes football so much less fun to watch, it just kills me.

Build through the draft bro!!@@

I think the young guys will get better and the defense will improve, but typically if you don't ever want to spend money on your front 7, it's hard to get a competitive front.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Build through the draft bro!!@@

I think the young guys will get better and the defense will improve, but typically if you don't ever want to spend money on your front 7, it's hard to get a competitive front.

The LB play, and the tackling this year...it's hard to watch.

I do think having Lee and Hitchens back, and Jaylon off the field will represent a huge improvement. We need to sign a veteran LB during the bye week and bring him up to speed, though. Smith can't play right now and shouldn't be getting snaps. I've got some hope for the DL, too, though they're so damn inconsistent. Maybe that settled down now that everybody's back and we get more assignment-sound football. The secondary will come together if we get better S play from Heath. Or replace him. Though Woods was the S who whiffed on the RB run that let him get out of bounds on that final drive, too, IIRC.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wh

whether Rob is better or worse, has no bearing on his being right about Marinelli not scheming better. I don't have to be a SkyDiver to know if ur chute doesn't open ur a dead man

To be clear, Rob wasn't criticizing the scheme. He was criticizing the LB and S execution. These guys need to play better football. No scheme is going to work with LB missing assignments, tackling poorly, and Ss not covering the primary target in game-ending situations.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You got the LB part right but he specifically called out the scheme being bad for the reason why Heath couldn't make it to help out. He said that's the wrong call in the redzone and that's on the coaches.

Yeah, he said the call was bad on the TD throw, as Rod called a field coverage where there wasn't room for a S to get over the top for a redzone play, leaving Lewis in appropriate inside leverage coverage and no room for the S to get over the top, so the back shoulder throw was open.

And he did say 'scheme' earlier, but I think he meant play call. Either way, his point was clear. I'm going to bet Marinelli would disagree with what his players' responsibilities were on that call for redzone if you asked him, though.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
We've upgraded from Rob Ryan. We have a coordinator who can get 11 men on the field versus Ryan's 10 man package.

yesterday zeke's big run in the fourth quarter to start that drive Green Bay only had 10 on the field. They had some issues getting themselves lined up yesterday.

Zman5

Reaction score
Yeah, he said the call was bad on the TD throw, as Rod called a field coverage where there wasn't room for a S to get over the top for a redzone play, leaving Lewis in appropriate inside leverage coverage and no room for the S to get over the top, so the back shoulder throw was open.

And he did say 'scheme' earlier, but I think he meant play call. Either way, his point was clear. I'm going to bet Marinelli would disagree with what his players' responsibilities were on that call for redzone if you asked him, though.

You can interpreted however you want but the exact words he used were "really bad playing and bad scheme."

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You can interpreted however you want but the exact words he used were "really bad playing and bad scheme."

He did. I'm not disagreeing. Just pointing out that he was primarily criticizing the call, then, later in the vid.

camelboy

mgcowboy
Reaction score
Rod Marinelli's defense ladies and gentlemen ..

Regardless how bad Rob Ryan is/was, it is not the case here. Just pay attention to the information. The point is how bad this defense is executing and how bad calls are .. I couldn't believe that 2nd shot where the two LBs going for the RB and leaving AR sneak to the side .. WOW

:cool:

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Valid point.

No matter what play the defense calls there, there's going to be a weakness somewhere. Obviously in that coverage the safety wasn't going to get over to help corner.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Shut up Rob, we would have been down by 45 at that point if you were still here.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rod Marinelli's defense ladies and gentlemen ..

Regardless how bad Rob Ryan is/was, it is not the case here. Just pay attention to the information. The point is how bad this defense is executing and how bad calls are .. I couldn't believe that 2nd shot where the two LBs going for the RB and leaving AR sneak to the side .. WOW

:cool:

That wasn't Marinelli's fault on that play.

That was a screw-up between the two linebackers.

And like what was pointed out on the video, if Sean Lee is in there, that probably does not happen.

While I get the angst with Marinelli, to blame him for everything in that sequence is wrong.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You got the LB part right but he specifically called out the scheme being bad for the reason why Heath couldn't make it to help out. He said that's the wrong call in the redzone and that's on the coaches.
All 3 looked like player error.

Woods was over for double-coverage on the other receiver which should have let Heath truely double the receiver that caught the ball.

blindzebra

Reaction score
My biggest gripe with Rod is his substitution pattern, and a lot of our struggles have come because of it. How many times in the first four games were we killed because he swapped out the entire DL. We have bodies but there is a huge drop off from Lawrence and Collins to Charlton and Davis. There should have never been a time where all 4 starters were off the field at the same time. It was slightly better against GB but that was only because they added Irving to the mix. Hell when Gruden is yelling Lawrence is out if I am Palmer I am chucking it deep, you know something is wrong.