Saint Jason Witten
Robert Quinn
Randall Cobb
Christian Covington
Kerry Hyder
George Iloka
Codey McElroy

giphy.gif
Not sure there's enough room for both Witten and McElroy on this team. I'm thinking Jason will have to make his way back to the booth.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Lawrence would have gotten 10 sacks in 2016 if not for the suspension and back injury.
You just list the 3 reasons he is not going to get near Mack money. He is not The Mack. He has been unreliable in the past. Usually money brings out more of what you really are as a person. He was a problem and suspended at Boise State, and the NFL. He has had 2 good years in a row after being unreliable.

I think $20M is the right start for a multi-year deal. He is only 26 so you on want a 4-5 year deal.

I wish they have an option year on the Quinn making it a 2 year deal (2019-2020). However, I think he is renegotiated the remaining year of his deal (2019) to lower his $12M base. Quinn was out of position in a 3/4 D. He is a 4-3 RDE. D-Law is a 4-3 LDE better at run support. Quinn is not a lover of run stopping. He likes to zoom off the edge at the QB.

Therefore, D-Law is more valuable long term. But the unreliability early in his career has the Jones boys worried. I would pay him $22M and add to his contract repayment of guarantee (penalty clause) if suspended or arrested.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This deal makes me think that the team still believes Gregory has a future. Get Quinn in here for a year, in case he doesn't make it back this year, but if he does make it back, our RDE rotation will be REALLY good.

I'd give that more credence than any talk from anyone thinking Quinn can replace Lawrence in any way.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Exactly right. At this point, Quinn likely isn't better than what we lost in Randy Gregory getting suspended. But it lessens the hit to some degree. He's certainly better than any of the other options this team had, despite what some fans were trying to sell us.

We certainly aren't going to improve the defense trading away arguably our best defensive player for a roll of the dice and replace him with Quinn who's a lesser player. Re-signing DLaw and adding Quinn makes us better. Our defense would take a huge hit losing DLaw and Gregory who combined for 17 sacks last season and replacing them with Quinn and a draft pick or someone we already have on the roster.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Do Owners have to pay guaranteed salaries during a lockout?

I would think they would have to

Good question but wouldn't players have to PLAY to get paid and if there's no football being played.....sounds like a fine-print thing.
Just me but I'm guessing they would only have to pay players nursing pre-lockup injuries.

ksg811

Reaction score
if Cowboys allow him he can negotiate a deal with other teams

Cowboys don't have to give permission. They placed the non-exclusive tag on Lawrence. He's free to negotiate with any team. It's extremely costly for the other team to sign (2 first round picks), but there is nothing preventing talking contract with Tank then approaching Dallas with trade offers.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I'd give that more credence than any talk from anyone thinking Quinn can replace Lawrence in any way.

LOL ...Quinn contracts seem to answer this with a resounding NO. I think about, a ONE year contract not exactly screaming long-term confidence. Hell an extra year at team option say a little more but based on what's reported, even that's not there.

Sydla

Reaction score
Now get Ansah's agent on the phone and let Ware search out a team for a trade and that big contract he wants.

Sydla

Reaction score
LOL ...Quinn contracts seem to answer this with a resounding NO. I think about, a ONE year contract not exactly screaming long-term confidence. Hell an extra year at team option say a little more but based on what's reported, even that's not there.

He's Gregory's replacement.

Ansah would be the guy replacing Lawrence. If a rumor breaks that the Cowboys have kicked the tires on Ansah, you know they are ready to say peace out to him.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
IMHO, yes.
Big men who rely on power and strength, a foot injury is problematic.
But more concerning is that in the Marinelli scheme, he's not a good fit due to slow lateral quickness.

Ogbah only had 20 bench reps(23 percentile), while running a 4.63 40 at 273 pounds(91 percentile).
You've got the wrong guy.

This is 25 year old Ogbah, who with 95% confidence has not had his best days behind him.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Man, I'm already pinching myself to see if all of this roster change is for real.

Oh, Lawrence will be signed also...with disgruntled 'fans' or not.

Myself, I'm rooting for a plan stuck along with, and is now proving a good plan of money management and player acquisitions of the top variety now.

I'm giving credit for the franchise having arrived once again...but myself, I won't be playing you owe me chips any this season. This is football, and I'm rooting for a good team.