Robert Quinn Suspended 2 games

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Read the statement from his agent. It's interesting.

He takes medication for seizures. His attorneys had the local pharmacy pull records and it turns out that right before they pulled Quinn's prescription, the pharmacy pulled the drug that triggered the failed test. They think when they mixed the medication, it's possible some of the residue got on Quinn's medicine and caused the failed test.
Sadly...even when the league is proven wrong...they are going to do what they want to do.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Yeah, he got acrewed a bit here.
But Jerry agreed to the arbritror (probably to take Goodell out of jt) and even though there was so very little in his system—impossible trace amount to be there for juicing—they still spilt the difference between 0 and 4 games.

Entire career has been clean.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Its not logic, its your online schtick. And Cal Poly will be right behind you.

The tests are for compounds at certain levels that would indicate abuse (i.e. 5 mg) If you go down to a level small enough (0.3 mg like this), everything will show up. Masking agents MAY block enough of a compound that a test at a higher level wouldn't catch it but you wouldn't use a compound decades old as a masking agent if you really trying to hide a modern PED.

You have fatal viruses in your body right now, just not in amounts that your immune system can't handle. The FDA allows for a certain amount of rat feces in hamburgers, but its a trace amount.

Online schtick to ask questions and require a greater burden of proof than lazy "we wuz robbed" reasoning (whining)? When did standards sink so low.

Of all the numbers and ratios spit out by Quinn's agent, he also doesn't say whether the levels found were below the level the league tests for, which would be in their favor as well. What were those levels? The longer we discuss this, the more questions arise. It's also clear that's why the agent admitted they didn't have enough proof of an oopsie. You and the other CONSPIRACY! ringleaders continually ignore this.

You want to address the double standard paragraph in my post you avoided last time?

And again, what of Quinn's agent's own statement that they had inadequate proof? People cry all up and down about Elliott's suspension without enough proof (and I agree) but at the same time want to cry about Quinn's suspension when their camp themselves admit inadequate proof. You can't have CONSPIRACY! both ways.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I’d wager good money Quinn’s rep is waaay overplaying the contamination angle.

First, his rep is really banking on trying to establish the fact the diuretic was processed in the same pharmacy as Quinn’s seizure meds. Fine. That’s not earth-shattering news. What I bet he’s not being upfront about is when the actual processing of the probenecid occurred. He’s only hedges on it happening before Quinn’s meds were.

Second, in a pharmacy where people have real health altering issues where you have medications meant to both increase your blood pressure as well as lower it, cross contamination is a serious concern. So the idea there’s just pill dust haphazardly collecting on a sorting table and getting sorted into other prescriptions is silly (I’m talking about the notion in general, not saying this is what you believe).

*It should be noted probenecid is a well-known masking agent (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/20020372/) so it’s pretty rich to forward the notion that if there was somehow some cross-contamination this just happened to be the drug.

This is what stood out for me too. I find it hard to believe that a pharmacy - a place known to deal with multiple chemicals and multiple drugs - does not have protocol and procedure governing a sterile environment when it comes to fulfilling prescriptions, knowing that even a milligram of the wrong substance can have serious, if not deadly, implications to a customer and result in a multimillion dollar lawsuit.

And if this, indeed, is the case in Quinn's situation, then he should sue for damages because this has definitely financially impacted his career.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Online schtick to ask questions and require a greater burden of proof than lazy "we wuz robbed" reasoning (whining)?

Its schtick when its a topic you know nothing about, then you dream up some questions and pretend you are superior to the posters here.

Sydla

Reaction score
I’d wager good money Quinn’s rep is waaay overplaying the contamination angle.

First, his rep is really banking on trying to establish the fact the diuretic was processed in the same pharmacy as Quinn’s seizure meds. Fine. That’s not earth-shattering news. What I bet he’s not being upfront about is when the actual processing of the probenecid occurred. He’s only hedges on it happening before Quinn’s meds were.

Second, in a pharmacy where people have real health altering issues where you have medications meant to both increase your blood pressure as well as lower it, cross contamination is a serious concern. So the idea there’s just pill dust haphazardly collecting on a sorting table and getting sorted into other prescriptions is silly (I’m talking about the notion in general, not saying this is what you believe).

*It should be noted probenecid is a well-known masking agent (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/20020372/) so it’s pretty rich to forward the notion that if there was somehow some cross-contamination this just happened to be the drug.

There is someone in this thread who refutes part of your theory. Earlier in this thread someone said he was a pharma tech and said this happens way more than you realize.

Sydla

Reaction score
This is what stood out for me too. I find it hard to believe that a pharmacy - a place known to deal with multiple chemicals and multiple drugs - does not have protocol and procedure governing a sterile environment when it comes to fulfilling prescriptions, knowing that even a milligram of the wrong substance can have serious, if not deadly, implications to a customer and result in a multimillion dollar lawsuit.

And if this, indeed, is the case in Quinn's situation, then he should sue for damages because this has definitely financially impacted his career.

You can find it hard to believe but there are now two people in this thread who worked as pharma techs and said this is absolutely something that could happen.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Its schtick when its a topic you know nothing about, then you dream up some questions and pretend you are superior to the posters here.

If only people had answers to my questions. Then perhaps you drama queens would have more to stand on than "because his agent said so!"

Still going to avoid my post a second time? In your case maybe I'm not pretending, lol.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
You can find it hard to believe but there are now two people in this thread who worked as pharma techs and said this is absolutely something that could happen.

I don't think most doubt it can happen no matter how they view this. There's human elements involved so there'll always be screw-ups just like with officiating. The question is whether the drug simply being in the same building means that contamination "most likely" happened. Without answers to at least those questions I asked, I don't think one can conclude that. The drug could have been in and out of the building 3 months before and still qualify for the "prior" period Quinn's agent stated.

Again, the point glossed over or flat out ignored is that Quinn's agent himself said they didn't have enough proof for their case. Why is no one addressing that? I get it.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I'm not disputing that it could happen. I don't think it's likely.
Furthermore, if it DID happen, then Quinn should sue. That constitutes negligence.

Sage3030

Reaction score
Interesting but I’m not convinced the anecdote from the tester holds true.

From 2014:
https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/cy...ping-result-for-masking-agent-probenecid/amp/

From 2019:
https://www.uci.org/inside-uci/press-releases/uci-statement-on-martin-maes

What also should be considered is the fact probenecid has been a banned masking agent for many decades which probably speaks to the fact not many pro athletes are getting popped for it regularly.

Here’s the outcome of your first link:

https://www.velonews.com/2014/08/ne...pharmacist-takes-doping-positive-blame_343150

Seems very similar to the Quinn situation...

Here’s the scoop on your second link:

Dr Tom Jerram, who prescribed the drug to help boost the effects of antibiotics, described the wound as “life or limb threatening”. Both Martin and his team manager Mark Maurissen inquired if the drug was banned but there was apparently no phone signal to check.

As the Probenecid was prescribed by a trained doctor, the GT team applied to the UCI for a TUE (Theraputic Use Exemption), which allows athletes to take prohibited substances without punishment if they have a medical need. The UCI denied this request on June 1, after the failed tests, but they did accept that the drug would not have enhanced his performance and was administered by a doctor so handed down a more lenient punishment than the maximum possible two year ban.

Maes was tested again in Madeira (May 12th) where he returned a negative. The UCI have imposed a 90 day suspension starting from the weekend after Madeira that will end the weekend of the Whistler EWS. He will be stripped of his wins from Tasmania and Rotorua but will be able to keep his result from Madeira. He will not be eligible to race the Whistler EWS.

https://m.pinkbike.com/news/martin-...rotorua-and-tasmania-receives-90-day-ban.html

So neither of those guys were actually using it as a masking agent, and one was eerily similar to Quinn’s situation.

We have had a couple pharmacy techs post in this thread that agree cross contamination is entirely plausible. They work in the industry. They do it day in and day out. They know.

Pharmacies aren’t sterile like you would usually think like say a surgical room is sterile. It’s not. You can see the pharmacists doing their job on a counter right in front of you. It’s not sterile.

Last edited:

Dre11

Reaction score

Also, my daughter is a very experienced pharmacy tech at a hospital pharmacy and yes she says it's a real issue.

Dre11

Reaction score
I don't think most doubt it can happen no matter how they view this. There's human elements involved so there'll always be screw-ups just like with officiating. The question is whether the drug simply being in the same building means that contamination "most likely" happened. Without answers to at least those questions I asked, I don't think one can conclude that. The drug could have been in and out of the building 3 months before and still qualify for the "prior" period Quinn's agent stated.

Again, the point glossed over or flat out ignored is that Quinn's agent himself said they didn't have enough proof for their case. Why is no one addressing that? I get it.

Did you not Read? It was proven the prescription that is used for gout was just filled before Quinn's.

Dre11

Reaction score
Here’s the outcome of your first link:

https://www.velonews.com/2014/08/ne...pharmacist-takes-doping-positive-blame_343150

Seems very similar to the Quinn situation...

Here’s the scoop on your second link:

Dr Tom Jerram, who prescribed the drug to help boost the effects of antibiotics, described the wound as “life or limb threatening”. Both Martin and his team manager Mark Maurissen inquired if the drug was banned but there was apparently no phone signal to check.

As the Probenecid was prescribed by a trained doctor, the GT team applied to the UCI for a TUE (Theraputic Use Exemption), which allows athletes to take prohibited substances without punishment if they have a medical need. The UCI denied this request on June 1, after the failed tests, but they did accept that the drug would not have enhanced his performance and was administered by a doctor so handed down a more lenient punishment than the maximum possible two year ban.

Maes was tested again in Madeira (May 12th) where he returned a negative. The UCI have imposed a 90 day suspension starting from the weekend after Madeira that will end the weekend of the Whistler EWS. He will be stripped of his wins from Tasmania and Rotorua but will be able to keep his result from Madeira. He will not be eligible to race the Whistler EWS.

https://m.pinkbike.com/news/martin-...rotorua-and-tasmania-receives-90-day-ban.html

So neither of those guys were actually using it as a masking agent, and one was eerily similar to Quinn’s situation.

We have had a couple pharmacy techs post in this thread that agree cross contamination is entirely plausible. They work in the industry. They do it day in and day out. They know.

Pharmacies aren’t sterile like you would usually think like say a surgical room is sterile. It’s not. You can see the pharmacists doing their job on a counter right in front of you. It’s not

Exactly

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score

That's why I said, in the next CBA, there should be a provision where the players can voluntarily report prescribed medication. This allows the league officials to understand what is in the medications so that, if traces of the medication are found in the drug test, the league knows what is going on. Thus, appropriate action can be taken.

dallasdave

Reaction score
That's why I said, in the next CBA, there should be a provision where the players can voluntarily report prescribed medication. This allows the league officials to understand what is in the medications so that, if traces of the medication are found in the drug test, the league knows what is going on. Thus, appropriate action can be taken.
Great point

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
what ever happened he is still suspended and that's the bottom line and it hurts the team

Tussinman

Reaction score
Huge slap in the face to the front office. They paid Quinn good money to help replace a suspended Gregory and now both of them are suspended.

At least one positive is he won't have to rush coming back from hand surgery. He'll have any extra two weeks to recover