Twitter: Robinson Back to CB per Fish

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If they show enough, they’ll get their chance.

They certainly haven’t so far. 4th and 5th round picks in 2020 that have never seen the field. I’m not even sure if either one has even been active yet.

That’s what OTAs and camp is for. Let’s face it, coaches want to keep the best players. I don’t think they care how or when they got them.

When it’s attached to valuable draft commodities, it should. Any pick that gets released without ever seeing the field is a huge failure.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
They certainly haven’t so far. 4th and 5th round picks in 2020 that have never seen the field. I’m not even sure if either one has even been active yet.

When it’s attached to valuable draft commodities, it should. Any pick that gets released without ever seeing the field is a huge failure.
Last year was an anomaly and should just be discarded. No real off season, no preseason games, trying to implement an entirely new defensive scheme under those circumstances, etc. The veteran starters had tremendous issues trying to adjust, so it’s not exactly a surprise rookies were lost.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Last year was an anomaly and should just be discarded. No real off season, no preseason games, trying to implement an entirely new defensive scheme under those circumstances, etc. The veteran starters had tremendous issues trying to adjust, so it’s not exactly a surprise rookies were lost.

Circumstances certainly didn’t help. But now I’m not sure whether Robinson or Anae will really get that opportunity or time to develop here. The team has drafted or signed plenty of numbers at their respective positions.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Circumstances certainly didn’t help. But now I’m not sure whether Robinson or Anae will really get that opportunity or time to develop here. The team has drafted or signed plenty of numbers at their respective positions.
Yep and all we can do is keep the best of them.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I didn’t know this but apparently Robinson has been asked to switch positions three times now during this off-season alone.

“Then, in the offseason, Nolan was fired and Quinn was hired. And on March 4, Robinson received new marching orders from Harris, who told the 23-year-old he'd be moving back to cornerback.

So that was that. Until, March 9, when Quinn phoned Robinson to inform him to tap the brakes on the switch, and that the coach had big plans for Robinson as a safety.

Which was fine ... until this week, when another meeting resulted in another move. Robinson, who is playing on a four-year contract worth $4.02 million with a signing bonus of $729,000, was informed by Quinn, Whitt and Harris that he's moving back to cornerback.”

https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/.amp...und-reggie-robinson?__twitter_impression=true

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Well the guys who drafted him, asked him to move positions, still wouldn't play him. So i'm gonna bet his chances of sticking around are slim but probably better than before.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And wasted picks are wasted picks.
Every team has them. I know you know this, but in the middle to late rounds every team is looking for a trait or quality in a prospect that they hope indicates an ability to play in the NFL. Maybe something that transcends what teams might otherwise see in a prospect. But despite those efforts many don't work out.

Last edited:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I didn’t know this but apparently Robinson has been asked to switch positions three times now during this off-season alone.

“Then, in the offseason, Nolan was fired and Quinn was hired. And on March 4, Robinson received new marching orders from Harris, who told the 23-year-old he'd be moving back to cornerback.

So that was that. Until, March 9, when Quinn phoned Robinson to inform him to tap the brakes on the switch, and that the coach had big plans for Robinson as a safety.

Which was fine ... until this week, when another meeting resulted in another move. Robinson, who is playing on a four-year contract worth $4.02 million with a signing bonus of $729,000, was informed by Quinn, Whitt and Harris that he's moving back to cornerback.”

https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/.amp...und-reggie-robinson?__twitter_impression=true
True or not, it's the offseason. He isn't wasting time working with the team on one position and then switching and working on another. All that's happening is the media throwing words out for people to read.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Every team has them. I know you know this, but in the middle to late rounds every team is looking for a trait or quality in a prospect that they hope indicates an ability to play in the NFL. Maybe something that transcends what teams might otherwise see in a prospect. But despite those efforts many don't work out.

Problem being that the 'traits' the team is looking for changes every year or two along with the defensive coordinator. That's the problem.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Problem being that the 'traits' the team is looking for changes every year or two along with the defensive coordinator. That's the problem.
I can see where that could be a problem to some degree, but with Anae, for example, it was the D-Coordinator in place when he was drafted that chose not to play him last year, so we can't blame that on a new guy looking for different traits. I also don't buy the idea that a new coordinator will turn his back on an existing player just because he didn't provide his input when that player was drafted. In other words, I think Quinn and the position coach will make their own evaluation of Anae (and others), and they won't ignore talent if they see it. Sticking with the example of Anae, even if Anae isn't an ideal scheme fit, if, but they decide he has true pass rush talent, they can find a way to use him, even if as a situational player.

Last edited:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I can see where that could be a problem to some degree, but with Anae, for example, it was the D-Coordinator in place when he was drafted that chose not to play him last year, so we can't blame that on a new guy looking for different traits.

I'm not "blaming" either coordinator, I'm blaming a shifting system that's causing drafted players to be put into disadvantaged situations. A system that's ultimately been hurting this team for years - going back to Taco over TJ Watt and even years prior.

I also don't buy the idea that a new coordinator will turn his back on an existing player just because he didn't provide his input when that player was drafted. In other words, I think Quinn and the D-Line coach will make their own evaluation of Anae, and they won't ignore talent if they see it.

So are you going so far as to suggest that you think that Anae will make this year's team?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not "blaming" either coordinator, I'm blaming a shifting system that's causing drafted players to be put into disadvantaged situations. A system that's ultimately been hurting this team for years - going back to Taco over TJ Watt and even years prior.

So are you going so far as to suggest that you think that Anae will make this year's team?
You said the shifting systems were the result of changing coordinators, so you actually did cite that as a cause.

In any case, Taco over Watt didn't occur because the system shifted, it occurred because they weren't willing to change the system. They held firm to the idea of a player that was more in the traditional 4-3 DE mold rather than going with someone that was more a OLB/DE hybrid.

No, I am not suggesting Anae will make the team this year - or that he won't. I'm just saying I believe Quinn and the D-Line coach will make their own evaluation rather than automatically dismiss him because he wasn't drafted with their input, or if they think he might not be an ideal scheme fit. In other words, if they see enough talent they will look for a way to use it, and if they don't he could be cut or spend another year as a seldom used backup.

Last edited:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You said the shifting systems were the result of changing coordinators, so you actually did cite that as a cause.

I made my point clear.

In any case, Taco over Watt didn't occur because the system shifted, it occurred because they weren't willing to change the system. They held firm to the idea of a player that was more in the traditional 4-3 DE mold rather than going with someone that was more a OLB/DE hybrid.

No, it occurred because they had no system. And simply allowed that coordinator the decision-making ability, which they’ve continued to do. And that’s why they missed on better talent and why they’re once again sitting on players that don’t fit.

No, I am not suggesting Anae will make the team this year - or that he won't. I'm just saying I believe Quinn and the D-Line coach will make their own evaluation rather than automatically dismiss him because he wasn't drafted with their input, or if they think he might not be an ideal scheme fit. In other words, if they see enough talent they will look for a way to use it, and if they don't he could be cut or spend another year as a seldom used backup.

And I don’t think we ever see him on the field in a regular season game before he’s cut. Another player caught in the wash of ever-changing coaches, schemes, and physical requirements.

cowboyec

Reaction score
i thought his path to the 53 was easier at S.
lotta vets and higher draft picks ahead of him in that CB group.
his shot has to be what he does on spec teams.
block some punts like he did in college and he'll make it.
i'm root'n like hell for him.
we need the depth.