Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Manning?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
SacredStar;3820813 said:
Again, with that defense.....yes.

You act as if it was all Rodgers leading the Packers to the SB. Even when their coach says they would not have made the playoffs w/o the stellar play of their defense. He said nothing about Rodgers being the main reason GB made it, yet states the main reason was the defense.

So you're saying Rodgers had little to do with their success he was carried by the Packers defense? LOL

Do you think their coach believes like you that any QB could have led his team to the SB? If you believe the Packers could have gotten to the SB with Flynn would you trade Rodgers?

You could get three #1's for him so would you trade him?

If you think the Packers could have the same success with any QB this should be a no brainer for you. :laugh2:

Stautner

Reaction score
ringmaster;3820879 said:
As obvious Stautner you're missing my point too.

You called people hypocrites for giving Roethlesberger a pass for a bad playoff game because you felt the same people would have been all over Romo for the same kind of game. That was the point you made, and the point I am talking about. And despite your claim to the contrary, you did just speficify the one game without putting it in the context of Ben's entire playoff record.

The reality is, once a QB has accomplished the goal of winning a Super Bowl, much less 2, of course he wont revceive as much flak for a poor performance in a playoff game, and of course when a QB has a dismal playoff record he is going to get more flak for a poor performance in a playoff game. That's not hypocritical, that's just a reaction to one QB who has already proven something as opposed to one who has failed to prove something.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
ringmaster;3820650 said:
Romo Bias now who looks silly.

Please read and comprehend what I'm saying before you post.

Roethlisberger is what he is and please spare me again with this o-line stuff his defense was better than ours in 2005 try again.

Defenses wins championships.

I just made you look incredibly SILLY! LOL You said Roethlisberger would get killed behind the Cowboys OL that only gave up 27 sacks combined with Kitna and Romo. :laugh2:

Roethlisberger got the hell knocked out of him in 08 getting sacked 46 times behind the worst OL in SB history and still lead his team to a championship.

You claimed he would have get killed behind this years Cowboys OL. :lmao: Dude Roethlisberger played 12 games this season and got sacked 2 more times than Romo, Kitna and McGee combined. LOL Your copy of football for dummies is in the mail. :laugh2:

ringmaster

Reaction score
Stautner;3820897 said:
You called people hypocrites for giving Roethlesberger a pass for a bad playoff game because you felt the same people would have been all over Romo for the same kind of game. That was the point you made, and the point I am talking about. And despite your claim to the contrary, you did just speficify the one game without putting it in the context of Ben's entire playoff record.

The reality is, once a QB has accomplished the goal of winning a Super Bowl, much less 2, of course he wont revceive as much flak for a poor performance in a playoff game, and of course when a QB has a dismal playoff record he is going to get more flak for a poor performance in a playoff game. That's not hypocritical, that's just a reaction to one QB who has already proven something as opposed to one who has failed to prove something.
Carry on.

SacredStar

Reaction score
KJJ;3820893 said:
So you're saying Rodgers had little to do with their success he was carried by the Packers defense? LOL

It doesn't matter what I believe, but obviously McCarthy believes the defense was the main reason.

Of course Rodgers had something to with their success, never said he didn't, but he didn't have as much to do with it as the defense did, or as much as you imply.

That defense literally shut down every offense it faced...every single one. Every game they lost was by 4 points or less. Several games they won were because of turnovers forced by the defense, many of those turnovers were scores by the defense.

If the defense didn't get those turnovers, the team loses, no matter how well Rodgers played.

A turnover ended the playoff game in Philadelphia, the defense shut down Matt Ryan, a turnover ended the comeback by the Bears in a playoff game, plus a pick six pick by Raji put the Packers in the lead for good. Turnovers saved many games for the Packers this season, w/o them, and that defense, GB is not in the Super Bowl, or even the playoffs.

What don't you understand about that? :bang2:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
gbrittain;3820773 said:
You have referred to Ben Rs "clutchness" in last weeks game and Romo's meltdown against B-more in 2008.

Romo against B-More 2008. The first three quarters Romo did not play well admittedly. With only 2:51 remaining in the third and into the 4th Romo goes 14 of 22 for 177 yards 0 INTs and 2 TDs on three scoring drives to include a field goal. 17 points scored in the 4th quarter.

Would have been "clutch" and enough to win the game except that the defense gave up two back to back runs of 77 and 82 yards

This is not clutch?

That is why I am confused when Ben R plays terrible but makes a play or two in crunch time he gets the clutch label and if Romo plays terrible but goes 14 of 22 for 177 yards 0 INTs 2 TDs, a field goal in less than 18 minutes with the game on the line...you go with the Romo melted down line?

Romo put the Cowboys in an early hole against the Ravens in 08 with 2 costly int's to Ed Reed.

He didn't play well for 3 quarters and the team got behind because of it. Even though Roethlisberger didn't have a good game Sunday his play didn't put his team in a hole.

When the game got tight Roethlisberger started playing his best football picking up critical 3rd downs.

Not every win is going to be pretty and regardless of how ugly it was it got the Steelers to the SB.

You find out a lot about the character of a QB and what kind of leader they are when things aren't going well.

Roethlisberger never melted down when the going got tough he hung in and made plays to help his team preserve the win.

gbrittain

Reaction score
KJJ;3820925 said:
Romo put the Cowboys in an early hole against the Ravens in 08 with 2 costly int's to Ed Reed.

He didn't play well for 3 quarters and the team got behind because of it. Even though Roethlisberger didn't have a good game Sunday his play didn't put his team in a hole.

When the game got tight Roethlisberger started playing his best football picking up critical 3rd downs.

Not every win is going to be pretty and regardless of how ugly it was it got the Steelers to the SB.

You find out a lot about the character of a QB and what kind of leader they are when things aren't going well.

Roethlisberger never melted down when the going got tough he hung in and made plays to help his team preserve the win.

Let Romo go 10-19 for 133 yards o TDs and 2 INTs and lets see how many "ugly" games he wins in Dallas? :lmao: And then if somehow Romo manages to pull it off, I want to see you on the board praising his performance.

Ben R does not even win "ugly" last Sunday if his defense does not gift him a TD.

gbrittain

Reaction score
KJJ;3820925 said:

Oh and BTW...

I guess Ben Rs two INTs were of the "clutch" variety versus Romo's "choke" variety??? :laugh2:

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
gbrittain;3820977 said:
Oh and BTW...

I guess Ben Rs two INTs were of the "clutch" variety versus Romo's "choke" variety??? :laugh2:

I do know if Romo had the type of days Rodgers and Roethlisberger had on Sunday, we would have won "in spite of him" and been told he deserves NO credit for the win.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
SacredStar;3820920 said:
It doesn't matter what I believe, but obviously McCarthy believes the defense was the main reason.

Of course Rodgers had something to with their success, never said he didn't, but he didn't have as much to do with it as the defense did, or as much as you imply.

That defense literally shut down every offense it faced...every single one. Every game they lost was by 4 points or less. Several games they won were because of turnovers forced by the defense, many of those turnovers were scores by the defense.

If the defense didn't get those turnovers, the team loses, no matter how well Rodgers played.

A turnover ended the playoff game in Philadelphia, the defense shut down Matt Ryan, a turnover ended the comeback by the Bears in a playoff game, plus a pick six pick by Raji put the Packers in the lead for good. Turnovers saved many games for the Packers this season, w/o them, and that defense, GB is not in the Super Bowl, or even the playoffs.

What don't you understand about that? :bang2:

SacredStar;3820920 said:

You're right is doesn't matter what you believe you have too much of a Romo bias to be taken seriously.

I bet MccCarthy also believes his team wouldn't be playing in the SB if he didn't have an outstanding QB. Rodgers had a lot to do with their success.

The Packers have had some real good teams through the years that couldn't get to the SB because of Favre's mistakes.

You won't find a team that has a great defense that also has a QB who's inefficient and turns the ball over a lot.

The Packers defense was ranked 5th this season.

In 08 the Cowboys defense was ranked 8th and couldn't even make the playoffs because Romo's game went in the tank.

The Packers had several tight games early in the season that could have had them sitting home had they not squeaked them out.

They edged Det 28-26 and got past Minn 28-24. They lose those games and they wouldn't be where they are now.

Having an efficient QB enables them to control the ball in some of these games which helps their defense.

The Jets were ranked 3rd in total defense but gave up 45 points to NE during the regular season when their offense couldn't stay on the field because Sanchez was struggling and turning the ball over 3 times.

Most good defensive teams don't spend a lot of time on the field because they usually have offenses that can control the ball running and throwing.

You can believe what you want but you put some average QB on this Packers team and they would have never made the playoffs.

Apollo Creed

Stackin and Processin, Well
Reaction score
gbrittain;3820961 said:
Let Romo go 10-19 for 133 yards o TDs and 2 INTs and lets see how many "ugly" games he wins in Dallas? :lmao: And then if somehow Romo manages to pull it off, I want to see you on the board praising his performance.

Ben R does not even win "ugly" last Sunday if his defense does not gift him a TD.

Don't even bother with the Romo haters, they're the blind leading the blind. No real perspective, just short sighted, stat staring, sportsceter watching average Joe fans that need to be mad at something.

Ben has always been bailed out by his defense.

He's very rarely single handedly won his team many games, Romo on the other hand has seemed to be our only hope for the past 3-4 seasons.

When you look back on his entire career here in Dallas, outside of the end of the 09 seasons - he's never received much help from his defense or special teams. Countless missed kicks, poor field position, no turnovers, let alone defensive touchdowns.

Romo has done an incredible job given the circumstances. He's consistently ran for his life, dealt with drive killing penalties, drops by receivers, and no support from either of the other two phases of the game. Couple that with an overbearing, conservative, and burnt out Tuna, and aw shucks gee golly guy like Wade - he hasn't really received much help from his coaching staff either. Especially in terms of clock management, play calling, and making personel changes.

It's a shame he's been wasting away on the bench and in a circus organization under these conditions. Even when we were 1-7 he was playing solid football and showed some real heart in games where the entire team/coaching staff fell apart.

When I got to meet him I let him know that there are real fans that have perspective and can see the bigger picture when forming opinions, I could tell he appreciated hearing that. Never have I seen a player so unjustly criticized in media and by fans, especially locally. You'd think after 15 years of watching scrub after scrub take snaps under center - they'd appreciate a talented, franchise saving, humble Wisconsin kid that brought us back to relevance even though he was dealt a pretty crappy hand.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
gbrittain;3820977 said:
Oh and BTW...

Roethlisbergers int's didn't come when the game was on the line like Romo's does. Ben's int's didn't put his team in an early hole like the heaves Romo gift wrapped for Ed Reed against the Ravens in 08.

You're dogging Rothlisberger and he just led his team to the SB. :laugh2: He's got 2 SB rings so let's all make excuses why he succeeds and our QB doesn't.

I'm sure it will make us all feel better about Romo. LOL

Romo tossed a pick late against the Steelers in 08 that sealed the Cowboys fate. He had 4 turnovers in that game 3 int's and a fumble. A total MELTDOWN!

While he was melting down Roethlisberger was making play after play with our defense hanging all over him.

Romo had a chance to beat the Giants in the closing seconds in the 07 playoffs but the game ended with a pick in the endzone.

SacredStar

Reaction score
KJJ;3820987 said:
You're right is doesn't matter what you believe you have too much of a Romo bias to be taken seriously.

I bet MccCarthy also believes his team wouldn't be playing in the SB if he didn't have an outstanding QB. Rodgers had a lot to do with their success.

The Packers have had some real good teams through the years that couldn't get to the SB because of Favre's mistakes.

You won't find a team that has a great defense that also has a QB who's inefficient and turns the ball over a lot.

The Packers defense was ranked 5th this season.

In 08 the Cowboys defense was ranked 8th and couldn't even make the playoffs because Romo's game went in the tank.

The Packers had several tight games early in the season that could have had them sitting home had they not squeaked them out.

They edged Det 28-26 and got past Minn 28-24. They lose those games and they wouldn't be where they are now.

Having an efficient QB enables them to control the ball in some of these games which helps their defense.

The Jets were ranked 3rd in total defense but gave up 45 points to NE during the regular season when their offense couldn't stay on the field because Sanchez was struggling and turning the ball over 3 times.

Most good defensive teams don't spend a lot of time on the field because they usually have offenses that can control the ball running and throwing.

You can believe what you want but you put some average QB on this Packers team and they would have never made the playoffs.

Nothing against you man, but I never once mentioned Romo in this thread, defending him or putting him down. But also, it doesn't matter what you think. You are not right, and what I am saying might not be right, but I am just repeating what Mike McCarthy said. So you're saying the coach of the Packers is wrong.

Associated Press: While Aaron Rodgers wins over fans running one of the leagues most dangerous offenses, the Packers would not be preparing a spot in the Super Bowl this week without an aggressive, consistent defense.

Clay Matthews: If we keep playing defense the way we're playing, it will be hard for anyone to beat us.

KJJ: But let's give all praise to Aaron Rodgers because w/o him, they are sitting at home.

SacredStar

Reaction score
KJJ;3820987 said:

Hmmmm, McCarthy states the exact opposite:

But the defense’s stellar play not only has kept the Packers in games when the offense has struggled, it’s also allowed McCarthy to take more chances in his play-calling, knowing the defense will get a stop more often than not.

“You have not ever seen us …,” McCarthy said, his voice trailing off before what figured to be the phrase “get blown out” or words to that effect. “We’ve lost some games here, but we’ve been in every single contest. (The defense) gives us an opportunity to play offense the way we do. We can be wide open. (Or) we can hunker down (and) run the ball, based on who we’re playing and how we want to play each week.”

http://www.channel3000.com/sports/26355319/detail.html

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
gbrittain;3820961 said:

He had an ugly win the 6 turnover game against Buffalo in 07. It took playing against bad team for him to overcome that turnover fest.

It's virtually impossible for Romo to win ugly in a playoff type game because his turnovers are so damaging and they come in clusters.

He's an impulse throwing gunslinger who's game can apart after one big mistake especially on the road in a playoff type situation.

Once he gets rattled in a big game and the defense starts breathing down his neck the wheels start coming off.

If you could ever put your Cowboy bias aside for one minute maybe you'll start seeing things more clearly but you're in denial. He's a good QB but he has issues in big games he's not clutch like these other QB's.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Re the early hole against the Ravens, IIRC, one of the INTs was at the end of the half and only allowed the Ravens to cut into the lead, not put us in a hole.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
SacredStar;3821041 said:
Nothing against you man, but I never once mentioned Romo in this thread, defending him or putting him down. But also, it doesn't matter what you think. You are not right, and what I am saying might not be right, but I am just repeating what Mike McCarthy said. So you're saying the coach of the Packers is wrong.

Associated Press: While Aaron Rodgers wins over fans running one of the leagues most dangerous offenses, the Packers would not be preparing a spot in the Super Bowl this week without an aggressive, consistent defense.

Clay Matthews: If we keep playing defense the way we're playing, it will be hard for anyone to beat us.

KJJ: But let's give all praise to Aaron Rodgers because w/o him, they are sitting at home.

You did mention Romo saying he could be successful with the Packers. You believe he could have taken that team to the SB.

That sounds like you're defending him blaming the Cowboys for his failures.

In my opinion the Packers wouldn't be where they are without an elite QB who doesn't make ill timed mistakes.

The Packers will not beat the Steelers with their defense if the Pack is going to win it will be because of Rodgers and their passing game.

For the Packers to win the SB it will come down to Rodgers having to make plays against that Steelers defense.

Spreading that defense out with multiple WR sets is the way to beat the Steelers. The Packers are certainly aren't going to beat them at their own game.

birdwells1

Reaction score
Apollo Creed;3820998 said:
Don't even bother with the Romo haters, they're the blind leading the blind. No real perspective, just short sighted, stat staring, sportsceter watching average Joe fans that need to be mad at something.

Ben has always been bailed out by his defense.

He's very rarely single handedly won his team many games, Romo on the other hand has seemed to be our only hope for the past 3-4 seasons.

When you look back on his entire career here in Dallas, outside of the end of the 09 seasons - he's never received much help from his defense or special teams. Countless missed kicks, poor field position, no turnovers, let alone defensive touchdowns.

Romo has done an incredible job given the circumstances. He's consistently ran for his life, dealt with drive killing penalties, drops by receivers, and no support from either of the other two phases of the game. Couple that with an overbearing, conservative, and burnt out Tuna, and aw shucks gee golly guy like Wade - he hasn't really received much help from his coaching staff either. Especially in terms of clock management, play calling, and making personel changes.

It's a shame he's been wasting away on the bench and in a circus organization under these conditions. Even when we were 1-7 he was playing solid football and showed some real heart in games where the entire team/coaching staff fell apart.

When I got to meet him I let him know that there are real fans that have perspective and can see the bigger picture when forming opinions, I could tell he appreciated hearing that. Never have I seen a player so unjustly criticized in media and by fans, especially locally. You'd think after 15 years of watching scrub after scrub take snaps under center - they'd appreciate a talented, franchise saving, humble Wisconsin kid that brought us back to relevance even though he was dealt a pretty crappy hand.

Tony is that you?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
SacredStar;3821046 said:
Hmmmm, McCarthy states the exact opposite:

But the defense’s stellar play not only has kept the Packers in games when the offense has struggled, it’s also allowed McCarthy to take more chances in his play-calling, knowing the defense will get a stop more often than not.

“You have not ever seen us …,” McCarthy said, his voice trailing off before what figured to be the phrase “get blown out” or words to that effect. “We’ve lost some games here, but we’ve been in every single contest. (The defense) gives us an opportunity to play offense the way we do. We can be wide open. (Or) we can hunker down (and) run the ball, based on who we’re playing and how we want to play each week.”

http://www.channel3000.com/sports/26355319/detail.html

We'll see if McCarthy feels the same way after the SB because if the Packers win I see Rodgers being the MVP.

The game is going to come down to Rodgers having to make plays against that tough Steeler defense for Green Bay to win.

Like I said in the previous post you can't just line up against the Steelers and beat them at their own game.

Green Bay will have to stop the run but the only way they're going to move the ball affectively and put points on the board is by spreading out the Steelers D with multiple WR sets.

This is how the Cardinals almost beat the Steelers in the SB 2 years ago. You pretty much have to air it out against them because it's too hard to run against them consistently. Most of the SB's lately have come down to a QB having to make a play to win.

I don't see that changing in this game.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
KJJ;3820925 said:

Roethlisbergers defense hides his ineptness. I can't believe some of you don't see that.

That pick Ben threw Sunday was a great example.

Just a complete impulse throw and his defense just got him the ball back.

Rodgers > Romo

Big Ben < Romo