Rodgers comment made me understand dislike for him!

negativecreep

Reaction score
ME too, but we all know the NFL/refs will make sure its GB vs. NE.
Yes, yes they will. After 22 years as a diehard fan, it feels like its closer to WWE than the NFL back then, I know not the greatest comparison...starting to wonder who's pockets these refs are in.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
But not a real pass rusher in any one of them. Gregory, he had the tools but he was too light so it was a race to the bottom, to see if he would self destruct or not. Either way, it's clearly a position that we have not really invested in the way we need to IMO. I hope we get lucky but at some point, we gotta solve it or we will continue to see the same results IMO.

250 is not too light to pass rush in the slightest.

Plankton

Reaction score
THE NFL sales its Super Bowl adds sometimes years in advance . So it wouldn't matter if cowboys faced the pats. Those ratings would have reflected for future sales.

The NFL is a business all 32 teams operate equally as one with he exception of the Dallas Cowboys.

The NFL and all 32 teams split tv deals equally. It doesn't matter if you are the owner of the lousy Browns or the owner of the number one team Patriots.

The NFL also splits gate fees and merchandise sales. With the exception of the Cowboys who are the only NFL team that keep their merchandise sales.

So if someone buys a Tom Brady jersey, a percentage of that money stays with the Pats and the rest gets split up umongst the NFL and all the NFL teams, except for the COWBOYS.

However when someone buys a DAK Prescott jersey , Jerry keeps those profits to himself.
Cause of the deal he made back in the 90s.

A couple years back when Romo was having a great season. Him and Rodgers where being considered MVP candidates.

Now ask your self this...... if you are an NFL team owner and either Rodgers or Romo has to win the MVP, who do you give it to?

It would make the most sense to give the MVP to Rodgers because people will want to buy that jersey. All those profits will get split up umongst all owners with the exception of Jerry.

Cowboys have NOT had an MVP since Jerry made his deal.

Now imagine a Super Bowl between Cowboys and Pats. People will be excited and buy DAK Jerseys, Elliot jerseys, as well as Brady, and Gronk jerseys.

Now if you own an NFL team how do you profit from Cowboys vs Pats????
You as an owner will be getting extra money from the Patriot jersey sales ONLY, but will be getting ZERO from the Cowboys sales.

So if the Super Bowl is any two teams but the Cowboys. Then you as an owner will be getting money from BOTH sides.

THE NFL is in the business of making money. Do you think a multi billion dollar organization would leave things up to chance?

None of this is true as you write it.

Ad sales are done for the Super Bowl year of. Trust me on this - I work in the business. If the Cowboys are in the game, the spots will sell at higher rate. The spots aren't sold in advance because they haven't set the rate that they are looking to hit for the spots. Typically, they figure this out after the season begins.

As far as the Cowboys and merchandise, you haven't represented the agreement correctly. The Cowboys do share what they sell - they are required to contribute what their expected contribution would have been without the agreement. If they sell above that number, they pocket the excess. None of the league partners have lost any money as a result. It just creates the incentive for the Cowboys to sell more.

The owners do not vote on the MVP - sports writers do. The owners are not influencing who gets the award.

greatwallofdallas

Reaction score
None of this is true as you write it.

Ad sales are done for the Super Bowl year of. Trust me on this - I work in the business. If the Cowboys are in the game, the spots will sell at higher rate. The spots aren't sold in advance because they haven't set the rate that they are looking to hit for the spots. Typically, they figure this out after the season begins.

By what I understand is big companies are able to reserve Super Bowl add spots in advance to secure a better rate.
And smaller companies that buy adds later in the season are the ones paying premium prices.

Serious question since you are in the business. You said they figure add costs after the season begins. If someone wanted to advertise in Super Bowl 51, how long in advance do they get a price per minute?

Plankton

Reaction score
By what I understand is big companies are able to reserve Super Bowl add spots in advance to secure a better rate.
And smaller companies that buy adds later in the season are the ones paying premium prices.

Serious question since you are in the business. You said they figure add costs after the season begins. If someone wanted to advertise in Super Bowl 51, how long in advance do they get a price per minute?

Depends on the network involved and the demand from the actual advertisers. It also depends on when they want their spots to run - first break? End of quarter? Halftime? All have different values and importance, and the nets can leverage this.

Nets can ask for what they want - the advertisers then decide to accept the rate. More often than not, the big advertisers - beer companies, automotive, etc. - will pony up. If the economy is going strong, the inventory will be sold out a week or more before the game is played.

Don Corleone

Reaction score
Yes, yes they will. After 22 years as a diehard fan, it feels like its closer to WWE than the NFL back then, I know not the greatest comparison...starting to wonder who's pockets these refs are in.

I have a coworker that has an NFL referee cousin. Each ref does get 4 tickets to the Super Bowl under the condition that they don't sell them. I often wonder if they want to see their team in the game and this influences their calls.