Roger Goodell has a Jerry Jones problem

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Did I miss this????

• Email
This story appears in ESPN The Magazine's Dec. 4 Fans, Family, Food, Football Issue. Subscribe today!

THERE WAS A PAUSE. It was Aug. 9, inside Roger Goodell's sixth-floor office at the NFL's Park Avenue headquarters in New York City -- down the hall, past the executives' offices and his assistant's desk, and through a large, thick wooden door that is both imposing and usually left open to serve as a welcome. Goodell huddled over a speakerphone with general counsel Jeff Pash. On the other end was Jerry Jones. Adhering to the protocol of giving owners a 48-hour heads-up before a major disciplinary issue involving their team is announced, Goodell and Pash informed Jones that after a 13-month domestic violence inquiry, the Dallas Cowboys' star running back, Ezekiel Elliott, would face punishment -- a six-game suspension.

The line went quiet. Seconds passed. Goodell's decision was an unconscionable violation of trust, Jones later told associates, because he believed that the commissioner had assured him this past spring that there would be no suspension. Jones saw in Elliott a genuine opportunity, a player so good that he had made Jones believe that this year he just might win a Super Bowl for the first time since 1996. His anger was palpable. Finally, according to sources with direct knowledge of the call, Jones broke the silence. He aimed his words not only at Goodell's decision but also at his role as judge, jury and executioner in the case.

"I'm gonna come after you with everything I have," Jones said. Then he mentioned Deflategate. "If you think Bob Kraft came after you hard, Bob Kraft is a p---y compared to what I'm going to do."

http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/...w-coming-led-dallas-cowboys-owner-jerry-jones

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Well hopefully Jerry does go after him hard. Make it really hard, really uncomfortable, and just go after him.

It would be so great, I mean one of the greatest moments in sports in my lifetime, if Dallas could some how find a way to win the Superbowl this year and force Goodell to have to hand Jerry Jones the trophy.

That's a moment I'd love to see.

hornitosmonster

Reaction score
Roger is in trouble if it's true he only has the support of 12 owners. Jerry doesn't need the owners to be on his side, he only needs them to be tired of Roger. It appears 20 or so are

Sydla

Reaction score
Egos run amuck.

Kraft is bitter Jerry didn't back him in Deflategate. Others are bitter that Jerry wields too much power.

At the core, the problem is as Jerry and other owners have said........... Goodell has created a fiefdom where wields wide power, sometimes to the detriment of the league and the owners are basically stuck............. largely because they don't have anyone to replace Goodell.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
everything about this season sucks.

That quote from Robert Kraft to Goodell in the summer "My guy got four games for footballs whats the holdup" about zeke says it all.

A bunch of billionaires are fighting like school girls and in the end the fans pay.

Just like to point out Jerry raised ticket prices again this past year.

also all those stories about jerry building the stadium with his own money and what a brilliant buisnessman he is seem pretty off the mark, he begged the league for a loan. that is where the money came from to finish the stadium.

Its impossible to like Jerry.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
everything about this season sucks.

That quote from Robert Kraft to Goodell in the summer "My guy got four games for footballs whats the holdup" about zeke says it all.

A bunch of billionaires are fighting like school girls and in the end the fans pay.

Just like to point out Jerry raised ticket prices again this past year.

also all those stories about jerry building the stadium with his own money and what a brilliant buisnessman he is seem pretty off the mark, he begged the league for a loan. that is where the money came from to finish the stadium.

Its impossible to like Jerry.

Jerry really didn't use his own money in the end.
Well he did, but got it back or is getting it back.

$300 Million came from Arlington. He had loans and I assume some of his cash for the other $900 million.
The season ticket holders and the PSL's paid or is paying most of that back to him.
some paid it up front, as well as the any private boxes. Others financed for up to 30 years at 8% interest.

For the PSL's you paid a good portion over the 1st year every 3 months.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Jerry really didn't use his own money in the end.
Well he did, but got it back or is getting it back.

$300 Million came from Arlington. He had loans and I assume some of his cash for the other $900 million.
The season ticket holders and the PSL's paid or is paying most of that back to him.
some paid it up front, as well as the any private boxes. Others financed for up to 30 years at 8% interest.

For the PSL's you paid a good portion over the 1st year every 3 months.

yea I am aware I have one.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry Jones is gonna go J.R. Ewing on Roger Goodell. Somewhere Larry Hagman is smiling up at Jones.

Don't Mess with Texas!
I think Jerry has been sitting back, waiting until the right time to get his payback from the salary cap screwing and other things. he waited for the Zeke situation to play out and then reacted accordingly.

It has been a while in the works IMO, but patience is a virtue here as usual with most things in life.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
yea I am aware I have one.

I tell myself every day, especially now, I am glad I sold mine.
I had the club level, 300 seats, 2 seats at $16K per seat and $340 per ticket each game.
I got out for break even before 2016 season.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
I tell myself every day, especially now, I am glad I sold mine.
I had the club level, 300 seats, 2 seats at $16K per seat and $340 per ticket each game.
I got out for break even before 2016 season.

I almost sold my tickets this past year. Part of me wishes I did.

Then I got my statement and the ticket prices were raised and I was really wishing I did. Everytime the team sniffs success they raise prices.

Tired of sitting amongst visiting fans and fans who only come to one game and all they do is get up to get more food/drinks and take pictures. People who do not understand the etiquette of how going to a live game works. If the ball is about to be snapped and a play run do not make everyone get up so you can get back to your seat. It makes me mental and it happens constantly. I have already had two minor arguments about it this season. During the giants game a guy told me he will do what he wants because he paid 350 for this seat. I told him A. that is your fault its a 120 dollar seat and B. We are here to watch the game not keep moving so you can keep getting beers and fries.

The end of my time of going to the stadium is coming to an end.

canters

Reaction score
I read this today and think it tends to confirm JJ’s belief that Roger lied to him. I loved the comparison of Kraft to the female body part. If in fact there is a planned meeting of the owners next month to discuss the contract, then this story may have legs. I am pulling for JJ for once.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
so actually bob kraft and other owners put the pressure on goodell to suspend zeke isn't there something wrong with this picture

Reaction score
Egos run amuck.

Kraft is bitter Jerry didn't back him in Deflategate. Others are bitter that Jerry wields too much power.

At the core, the problem is as Jerry and other owners have said........... Goodell has created a fiefdom where wields wide power, sometimes to the detriment of the league and the owners are basically stuck............. largely because they don't have anyone to replace Goodell.
with the revenue share model of the NFL, many owners should be very appreciative of JJ

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Did I miss this????
  • Email
This story appears in ESPN The Magazine's Dec. 4 Fans, Family, Food, Football Issue. Subscribe today!

THERE WAS A PAUSE. It was Aug. 9, inside Roger Goodell's sixth-floor office at the NFL's Park Avenue headquarters in New York City -- down the hall, past the executives' offices and his assistant's desk, and through a large, thick wooden door that is both imposing and usually left open to serve as a welcome. Goodell huddled over a speakerphone with general counsel Jeff Pash. On the other end was Jerry Jones. Adhering to the protocol of giving owners a 48-hour heads-up before a major disciplinary issue involving their team is announced, Goodell and Pash informed Jones that after a 13-month domestic violence inquiry, the Dallas Cowboys' star running back, Ezekiel Elliott, would face punishment -- a six-game suspension.

The line went quiet. Seconds passed. Goodell's decision was an unconscionable violation of trust, Jones later told associates, because he believed that the commissioner had assured him this past spring that there would be no suspension. Jones saw in Elliott a genuine opportunity, a player so good that he had made Jones believe that this year he just might win a Super Bowl for the first time since 1996. His anger was palpable. Finally, according to sources with direct knowledge of the call, Jones broke the silence. He aimed his words not only at Goodell's decision but also at his role as judge, jury and executioner in the case.

"I'm gonna come after you with everything I have," Jones said. Then he mentioned Deflategate. "If you think Bob Kraft came after you hard, Bob Kraft is a p---y compared to what I'm going to do."

http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/...w-coming-led-dallas-cowboys-owner-jerry-jones

This is great. Thanks.