Roger Goodell has a Jerry Jones problem

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Egos run amuck.

Kraft is bitter Jerry didn't back him in Deflategate. Others are bitter that Jerry wields too much power.

At the core, the problem is as Jerry and other owners have said........... Goodell has created a fiefdom where wields wide power, sometimes to the detriment of the league and the owners are basically stuck............. largely because they don't have anyone to replace Goodell.

He should be..

That is the only problem I have with Jerry in all of this. He waited until it was on his doorstep before he got angry.

All of the owners should've came down on Goodell for his abuse of power ages ago but they only get upset when it's their turn.

Sense it's such an issue right now they better ban together and do something about Goodell or they can just sit back and wait until it's their turn.

Ghost12

Reaction score
Difference is that guys like Blank, Kraft and Mara were actively seeking punishment for EE, even though he had proof that he didn't abuse Thompson. Jerry wasn't actively seeking punishment for Brady despite Brady being practically caught red handed and the entire SpyGate mess. All Jerry did was say that he supported Goodell when he was asked what he thought of DeflateGate.

Ghost12

Reaction score
He should be..

That is the only problem I have with Jerry in all of this. He waited until it was on his doorstep before he got angry.
This.

Not only did he wait until it was on his doorstep, he was an active supporter of previous abuses of power by the league office.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
It appears the owners are acting like spoiled billionaire children, all grabbing for a bigger piece of the money pie. At the same time, they're unable to get together on many issues that are bringing the NFL down. It's obviously become personal issues between various groups of owners to settle various issues that have them incessantly fighting amongst themselves.

The biggest issue of all right now seems to be the one between Goodell, a few of his cronies and Jerry. It's a rotten shame that Ezekiel Elliott has taken the hit for Goodell's vendetta against Jerry, which has obviously become highly personal. Even so, to the point that Goodell has corrupted his own investigation to get his way to suspend Zeke Elliott. Unfortunately, Zeke is the one paying the price for the turmoil going on between Goodell and Jerry, which is something entirely beyond his control. What a mess!

Who knows which factions will ultimately gain control of the power struggle currently taking such a terrible toll on the league and its owners? It seems certain that the NFL will continue to regress in it's solvency and general well being in the meantime. That, in and of itself, might well have the potential to cause the owners to reconsider granting Goodell a renewal of his contract. Let's just hope it does, for the good of the majority of those concerned and affected.

Last edited:

Ghost12

Reaction score
Bob Kraft is stupid of the basic rules of logic.

Brady violated the PC due to all the evidence pointing to him violating the rules of the game. He affected the integrity of game, i.e. fair play and fair competition. His punishment was justified in all sense of the rules despite the notion that the Patriots would have most likely won the game without it ever happening.
The Patriots/Brady punishment was not justified because it was ridiculously out of proportion to the established precedent of what happens to players and teams when caught in an equipment violation, such as walkie-talkies, stick'em, illegal gloves, sideline heaters, etc.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Difference is that guys like Blank, Kraft and Mara were actively seeking punishment for EE, even though he had proof that he didn't abuse Thompson. Jerry wasn't actively seeking punishment for Brady despite Brady being practically caught red handed and the entire SpyGate mess. All Jerry did was say that he supported Goodell when he was asked what he thought of DeflateGate.

That's a big difference and it shows that there is some professional jealousy against Jerry.

And I also believe that some of this was amplified by Jerry having the guts to say that if a Cowboys player protests the anthem, he will be benched. No other owner said that and you have to draw the conclusion that they were for the anthem protests. And how dare Jerry to say that he won't allow for it on his team.

YR

Why didn't they just go after him for all of the stupid stuff besides the DV case.

IF they would've suspended him for 2 or 3 games for conduct detrimental to the league nobody could've said anything really other then Goodell once again being inconsistent but they chose DOMESTIC VIOLENCE and 6 GAMES!!!!! Why?!?!?!

These multi Millionaires / Billionaires are supposed to be so smart. Maybe they're just idiots with money.

Ghost12

Reaction score
It appears the owners are acting like spoiled billionaire children, all grabbing for a bigger piece of the money pie. At the same time, they're unable to get together on many issues that are bringing the NFL down. It's obviously become personal issues between various groups of owners to settle various issues that have them incessantly fighting amongst themselves.

The biggest issue of all right now seems to be the one between Goodell, a few of his cronies and Jerry. It's a rotten shame that Ezekiel Elliott has taken the hit for Goodell's vendetta against Jerry, which has obviously become highly personal. Even so to the point that Goodell has corrupted his own investigation to get his way for the sake of suspending Zeke Elliott. Unfortunately, Zeke is the one paying the price for the turmoil going on between Goodell and Jerry, which is something entirely beyond his control. What a mess!

Who knows which factions will ultimately gain control of the power struggle currently taking such a terrible toll on the league and its owners? It seems certain that the NFL will continue to regress in it's solvency and its general well being in the meantime. That, in and of itself, may have the potential to cause the owners to reconsider granting Goodell a renewal of his contract. Let's hope it does.
It hope it does too, but I am very worried about Jones overplaying his hand. IMHO, he is actually starting to make Goodell look like the sympathetic figure here, especially among other owners.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Why didn't they just go after him for all of the stupid stuff besides the DV case.

IF they would've suspended him for 2 or 3 games for conduct detrimental to the league nobody could've said anything really other then Goodell once again being inconsistent but they chose DOMESTIC VIOLENCE and 6 GAMES!!!!! Why?!?!?!

These multi Millionaires / Billionaires are supposed to be so smart. Maybe they're just idiots with money.
Probably thought Elliott would just accept it. All these court cases take something away from the game.

ThreeandOut

Reaction score
This just confirms that Zeke's suspension has never been about guilt or innocence. This is just a bunch of jealous, vindictive owners looking to stick it to Jerry. I'm all for getting rid of Goodell but the rot runs much deeper in this league. What these owners are doing is far worse for the integrity of the game than Brady deflating some footballs or Pete Rose betting on games.

Ghost12

Reaction score
The main reason I got mine was when row 1 opened up. A friend was going half with me on it. He had to back out a few years later du to financial reasons. Then I took over both seats. I had to travel for my work a lot, so started selling them, but that too was a headache, working about selling them to at least break even. that is an entire different story LOL.

I had season tickets at Texas Stadium for 2 years and wanted to have first dibs at the new stadium. The sales rep said he could not tell us where comparable seats would be or what was being offered to us. Which was BS. All he said was it was about halfway up in the top 400 section around the 40 yard line.

He had offered row 8 in section 313, as that was the only other area we were interested in for the prices in other areas. We told him we would think about it. but 4 days later he called and said row 1, 2 seats just opened up. so we took those.

I hindsight, I am glad we did, I do not regret it at all. But it was time to move on from them, and have no regrets selling them.
Now if I want to go to a game, I will just buy tickets to a single game, and know where I want to sit, and how much I am willing to pay.
They lost me from transferring to the new stadium when I read the fine print that the PSL's are actually just a 30 year lease - which is a fact I think a lot of Cowboys S.T.H.ers to this day still don't realize. Basically their value will dwindle down to $0 within ~20 years from now.

I bet anything the STHers are going to be forced to re-buy those licenses in 2039.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
The Patriots/Brady punishment was not justified because it was ridiculously out of proportion to the established precedent of what happens to players and teams when caught in an equipment violation, such as walkie-talkies, stick'em, illegal gloves, sideline heaters, etc.
The punishment was justified. The extent of the punishment is arguable.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He should be..

All of the owners should've came down on Goodell for his abuse of power ages ago but they only get upset when it's their turn.

Sense it's such an issue right now they better ban together and do something about Goodell or they can just sit back and wait until it's their turn.

I don't necesarily disagree, but it is a competitive league. If you think you've got a contender, maybe you don't stick your neck out for Tom Brady and the Patriots. Especially if you think they were probably skirting rules again.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
I think Jerry has the Chiefs, Rams, and Texans on his side ( his inner circle).

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Jerry said Tyron is not out yet for sunday night.

Wont comment on who will play for him if he doesnt play.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I don't necesarily disagree, but it is a competitive league. If you think you've got a contender, maybe you don't stick your neck out for Tom Brady and the Patriots. Especially if you think they were probably skirting rules again.

Then you get what we have now...

A commissioner that's too powerful, can be influenced by owners on the competition committee, and slap domestic violence on players just for the fun of it.