News: Roger Goodell is reportedly 'furious' about a major adjustment to his next contract with the NFL

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
Holy crap this is a great point.

There is now doubt that the owners have prospered over the last several years, and that Goodell has been in charge. But it's hard to say that he has been the contributor for that, and easier to say that he's also hurt the product long term.

1) He's been given credit for spearheading the current CBA, which no doubt benefits the owners, but it's created a ton of controversy.
2) This controversy is going to make the next negotiation a NIGHTMARE, because Goodell has taken advantage of the clause.
3) Domestic abuse and drug policy are both issues that are harming the NFL as a product
4) Some day, somewhere, somehow, there is going to be a collusion suit. When that happens, the entire CBA and Anti-Trust excemption come at risk - and that's really really bad for the owners.

I don't think the CBA in and to itself has been the issue. Its how RG has used the power granted to him in the CBA that is the issue. If RG was an honorable man and used his powers in a just and fair way, there would not be all this drama. I doubt the owners really wanted this Zeke fight.. not when viewer ship is already declining and now RG has made it worse by attacking an innocent player in the NFL. If RG is gone, I don't think the next CBA will be a huge fight. The owners will have to give up some of the Article 46, which I think they want to do anyway and give in on the weed issue, which I think they would do without much of a fight (other than posturing to get something in return). They will try to use those two items as leverage to get what they really want: more games.

conner01

Reaction score
Jerry is also offering Goodell an arbitration hearing to appeal his firing. The Arbitration panel judges are Ezekiel Elliot and four members of Jerry's immediate family.[/QUOT

Seems reasonable to me

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Cowboys Cheerleader demonstrates use of Roger Goodell's replacement:
Talking about Cowboys Cheerleaders. Have you seen what the one looks like now since our last SB Championship? Pitiful to say the least. Don't ya think?
14253375832_630aaf2cf6_z.jpg

John813

Reaction score
Goodell is upset b/c he may have to settle for $30M instead... haha oh to have those kinds of problems, right?!

I'll start a Go.fund.Me for Goodell. Tough times surviving on that yearly budget.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
My opinion is that they aren’t shivering but curious how you can “assure us” that they aren’t? Haven’t followed a ton being TDY overseas so asking if there is other proof that the owners aren’t scared one bit etc.
My issue was with the wording used, although I doubt any owners are scared just because Jerry threatens a lawsuit that has little chance of success.

It was a moronic metaphor met with a ridiculous response.

I can't pretend to actually speak for them. Nor do I really want to try.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
TNF consistently gets bottom of the heap matchups in a primetime slot. Not only does this cause over saturation, there is no substantial evidence that TV viewership ratings on TNF correlate to any discernable increase in revenue. It's dumb, brings no value, and the players and fans hate it

You got me on global expansion, yes the owners are probably pushing it. I don't see it being viable imo, but as commish I have to try

Catch rule: 2 feet in bounds with control = catch between the 20s. Caught at or near the goal line = once it breaks plane it's a catch regardless of going to ground
Congratulations on making the catch rule more difficult to discern that it already is.

pugilist

Stick N Move
Reaction score
Congratulations on making the catch rule more difficult to discern that it already is.
2 stipulations isn't better than 10 or whatever ridiculous amount it is now? mmmk

or just make the catch rule: USE COMMON SENSE

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
NFL commissioner Roger Goodell is reportedly "furious" over potential changes to his next contract with the league.

According to ESPN's Seth Wickersham and Don Van Natta Jr., Jerry Jones and other NFL owners have been adamant that Goodell's next contract have less guaranteed money and be more focused on performance-based compensation.

"He feels as if the owners have made a lot of money and he should be compensated accordingly," a source told ESPN. "The incentives thing really angers him."

Tensions were already high around league offices regarding Goodell's next deal, as Cowboys owner Jerry Jones reportedly threatened a lawsuit against the league and some team owners in order to have a bigger say in the commissioner's next contract.

It appears that other owners are also frustrated with Goodell, with issues like ongoing player protests and dwindling television ratings. However, there are also seemingly enough owner for the two-thirds vote needed to approve Goodell's contract.

http://www.businessinsider.com/roger-goodell-furious-contract-jerry-jones-2017-11

small-violin.gif

links18

Reaction score
I don't think the CBA in and to itself has been the issue. Its how RG has used the power granted to him in the CBA that is the issue. If RG was an honorable man and used his powers in a just and fair way, there would not be all this drama. I doubt the owners really wanted this Zeke fight.. not when viewer ship is already declining and now RG has made it worse by attacking an innocent player in the NFL. If RG is gone, I don't think the next CBA will be a huge fight. The owners will have to give up some of the Article 46, which I think they want to do anyway and give in on the weed issue, which I think they would do without much of a fight (other than posturing to get something in return). They will try to use those two items as leverage to get what they really want: more games.

A CBA that can be abused in such a way by a "dishonarable" person with no independent check or balance, is not a good CBA.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
Don't worry Cowboy fans, Goodell will get his extension regardless of Jerry's whining
I'm certainly no Jerry backer but I think he has plenty to as you say "whine" about.......going back to being penalized along with the Skins for salary cap implications when there was no salary cap at the time to the Zeke fiasco.....has Goodell ever spent 13 months trying to decide a suspension on any player before?....The answer would be NO, and that includes players that were actually guilty of the charge, some were even video taped....in Zekes case law enforcement said there was no evidence with the NFL investigator recomended also stating there shouldn't be a suspension.

csirl

Reaction score
i could do Roger's job 1000 times better and would be happy to take 1/10 of the pay, my first initiatives would be

1. Eliminate Thursday Night Football
2. Eliminate London and Mexico City games
3. Simplify the catch rule

there are about 7 other things i could list, but those 3 are a good start

1 and 2 are bringing in extra cash at a time when domestic ratings on Sundays are falling.