Twitter: Roger Goodell wants to permanently ban the tush push

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
I don't see how banning it is controversial. It used to be illegal to "assist the runner" but then they removed the rule because it was supposedly difficult to judge. Just restore the rule that you can't push the runner. If they can still execute the play by having the line bulldoze their way forward and have the QB churn his legs behind them, then so be it. Just no pushing the ball carrier over the line of gain.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
I don't see how banning it is controversial. It used to be illegal to "assist the runner" but then they removed the rule because it was supposedly difficult to judge. Just restore the rule that you can't push the runner. If they can still execute the play by having the line bulldoze their way forward and have the QB churn his legs behind them, then so be it. Just no pushing the ball carrier over the line of gain.
There is no current rule that states only Philly can use this play. All teams may use it, and they try. But they don't have the right mix of talent to be as consistent as Philly is. This is why it does not need to be banned and would set a very dangerous precedent for the NFL.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Brady was just too darn good at throwing the football. He couldn't be stopped from winning more SBs than all franchises. We need to ban players like that in the future for "fairness".
yes but did it affect player safety????? That's all we're concerned about these days!!

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
that's a very good point about assisting the runner by pushing them

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Not the same thing at all.
Close enough to be an effective analogy for those of you trying to get a perfectly valid play banned because you don't like Philly.

Looks cowardly to me to try and get this play banned.

Jipper

Reaction score
Honestly I'm in the camp of let them keep doing it - they found a silver bullet and they have earned it.

I hate Philly but I don't want to see them lose a play bc of parity...