Rolando always seems to have something going on in his family

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Meaning he's not attending OTAs, I assume?

That is what I assume everyone is talking about. When listing the non attendees McClain was listed as not present due to family issues. Every year it has been something. Last year, it wasn't until about halfway through the season that he even started to make some plays and get into shape. It's one thing when you are playing on a cheap, prove it contract like he did the last two years. Now that he is making $4M plus has the chance to make another $1m in playtime incentives I think the team expects more from him.

I definitely hope this is his last year here. He isn't worth the hassle. If you have a great player...you make some concessions. Rolando has not been a "great" player for 90% of his time here. We shouldn't be rewarding him for the 10% that he actually plays to his potential.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Let's not forget how Tyron Smith had family issues.. We don't hear about most players family issues.. It's really not our business. As long as they ain't breaking any laws.. Play on Sunday, hit some guys and help the team win.

No comparison between the two. Smith is at all the voluntary workouts and doesn't half *** anything. And Smith has had issues once in his time here...and we all know what they were....greedy family. McClain constantly has issues.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Spagnola: First Week Of OTAs Produces Disturbing Early-Warning Signal

Friday, May 27, 2016 6:59 PM CDT
Mickey Spagnola

DallasCowboys.com Columnist

mcclain_hero_4.jpg

IRVING, Texas – Here is what you should like most about the first week of OTAs for the Dallas Cowboys.

That Tony Romo is back at quarterback. That Dez Bryant is nearly back at wide receiver, and will be so in plenty of time for the Sept. 11 season opener.Orlando Scandrick will be back at corner, too.

Let’s see, Tyrone Crawford is out there playing without a torn rotator cuff.Morris Claiborne is back out there without that injured hamstring, and by the way, at left cornerback, with Brandon Carr on the right side and Josh Thomas in the slot for now on the first defense. Byron Jones is where he belongs at free safety.Terrell McClain is back, adding depth to the defensive line interior. Like the looks of Cedric Thornton, Maliek Collins and Charles Tapper, too.

Oh, and Ezekiel. All you needed to do was watch him on a couple of carries jump in the hole and scoot to thoroughly understand he’s not just any ol’ running back.

Sort of a reminder of what the Cowboys were missing or trying to play through for the majority of last season, along with some impressive add-ons for this season.

Now then, here is what you should dislike most during the first of their three, three-a-week “voluntary” OTA sessions, concluding then with the mandatory three-day minicamp in the middle of June.

And this will have nothing to do with backup offensive guard Ronald Leary withholding services, his new agent demanding his client be traded, a request and maneuver without one ounce of leverage since he’s already signed his one-year, $2.553 million restricted free-agent tender absent $1 of guaranteed money or services desperately needed. Their only hope for movement would be someone such as Chaz Green, who hasn’t played a down of football since the end of the 2014 college season, shows enough ability to not only play some tackle, but also guard, too, thus making Leary somewhat expendable for a modest draft choice in return.

No, this worry has to do with the absence of Rolando McClain, who always seems to have something getting in the way of offseason football, practicing or just simply weight and conditioning. This time it’s personal family issues he’s trying to take care of, though Cowboys head coach Jason Garrett says he should be back at The Ranch next week.

OK, that would be fine, or at least palatable. But his offseason work at The Ranch has been sporadic, and the biggest worry would be conditioning and physical shape. Last thing you need is for someone to jump back in there after extended inactivity and pull a hamstring or groin. We’ve seen similar nagging injuries occur with guys who hadn’t been working out diligently or returning from injury and then hurting something else.

Rest Of Article

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
The worrisome part is that when they started their strength and conditioning work, McClain was there and was very out of shape. He isn't worth a damn unless he is in shape, which took until midseason last year.

CWR

Reaction score
Did you just compare McClain to Lawrence Taylor?

LOL Go Cowboys, bro.

McClain is a physical animal. You cant deny that. Parcells would likely get the production his talent warrants. Every one loves to point to Parcells running players off but the truth is he didnt run players off he ran scrubs off.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
McClain is a physical animal. You cant deny that. Parcells would likely get the production his talent warrants. Every one loves to point to Parcells running players off but the truth is he didnt run players off he ran scrubs off.

Parcells didn't allow players to practice when they wanted to. Which is what McClain does here.

I know you want to pretend all things are good and normal in Dallas. I know better.

Oh and McClain isn't half the player LT was.

HellCrowe

Reaction score
I bet if Romo had the same schedule as McClain no one in their right mind would be saying... it's just OTA, or its his routine family problems, or its the beginning of camp so it's ok if he's out of shape. Too many excuses for the guy.

Satchel89

Reaction score
It doesn't surprise me. I never expect him to be on the field. That's the way I look at him. If he plays in any games at all, I just consider it a bonus

CWR

Reaction score
Parcells didn't allow players to practice when they wanted to. Which is what McClain does here.

I know you want to pretend all things are good and normal in Dallas. I know better.

Oh and McClain isn't half the player LT was.

I dont pretend "all things are normal and good in Dallas."

Its a joke that people point to a coach like Parcells as if hed cut any player who caused him angst. Its simply not true. LT had a drug problem and he was very far from being the consumate professional. Parcells tolerated him because of what he meant to the team.

We drafted Smith and are trying to place ourselves in a position to move on from McClain, hence the one year contracts.

Are you advocating we cut McClain now and create yet another hole? What exactly should Garret and Jones be doing with Ro to get your support in the present?

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Mickey Spagnola is steering board sentiment using the same logic used here. Yay groupthink!

No, this worry has to do with the absence of Rolando McClain, who always seems to have something getting in the way of offseason football, practicing or just simply weight and conditioning. This time it’s personal family issues he’s trying to take care of, though Cowboys head coach Jason Garrett says he should be back at The Ranch next week.

OK, that would be fine, or at least palatable. But his offseason work at The Ranch has been sporadic, and the biggest worry would be conditioning and physical shape. Last thing you need is for someone to jump back in there after extended inactivity and pull a hamstring or groin. We’ve seen similar nagging injuries occur with guys who hadn’t been working out diligently or returning from injury and then hurting something else.

Ugh!

Ugh indeed.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2...otas-produces-disturbing-early-warning-signal

SHAMSzy

Reaction score
Smh people judging without info. Glad he's on our team.. Cheap with the potential to be a pro bowler, when he's right he's flat out nasty setting the tone for the entire d

CWR

Reaction score
LT was among the best players if his generation. Ro isn't in that class. Think there's a difference there?

Yeah big difference. So given our current roster and McClains cost would you prefer he be cut? Cant say what Parcells would do. Only point is Parcells made players play and cut scrubs. I think if Parcells was coaching McClain hed be awesome. Also think if he couldn't coach him hed wait until he had the talent to replace him, which I also believe happens to be our plan. I dont beleive in the notion of cutting McClain in a vacuum. Not even for Parcells the ball buster.

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
Yeah big difference. So given our current roster and McClains cost would you prefer he be cut? Cant say what Parcells would do. Only point is Parcells made players play and cut scrubs. I think if Parcells was coaching McClain hed be awesome. Also think if he couldn't coach him hed wait until he had the talent to replace him, which I also believe happens to be our plan. I dont beleive in the notion of cutting McClain in a vacuum. Not even for Parcells the ball buster.

Same with Jimmy Johnson he cut scrubs to make a point. Irvin could of taken a wizz in Jimmys cereal. With no repercussions..

Reactions: CWR

CWR

Reaction score
Parcells would not allow a player to dictate when he practices as McClain has done for years now. Something Lawrence Taylor didn't do, so your comparison was about as meaningless as you can get.

Yes. I'm advocating the head coach in Dallas should be given his pair back so he can make these type of decisions and instill some discipline within the team.

He was suspended from actual games several time due to failed drug test, he was late to meetings and often skipped conditioning. So how is that meaningless?

CWR

Reaction score
Just to be clear im not condoning McClains crap. His habbits and behavior are the reason why he isnt an all pro player with a huge contract. We are essentially getting what we are paying for. I think we will move on if/when our roster can support we do so.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Same with Jimmy Johnson he cut scrubs to make a point. Irvin could of taken a wizz in Jimmys cereal. With no repercussions..

Or stab someone in the neck with a pair of scissors...oh, that's right. Jimmy was gone by then. Still the same outcome.