Rolando always seems to have something going on in his family

AzorAhai

Reaction score
Given what circumstances? The ones that have nothing to do with Lawrence Taylor?

There is a 0% chance Parcells would allow a player to take vacation time every year and miss any offseason work.

Particularly when that player gets fat and underperforms in regards to the "talent" he has every year. It never ceases to amaze me how people can defend this guy. Sure, it's no big deal. Skip practice, come to camp fat and take half a season to round into shape so we can get up and down, disinterested play most of the time. It's cool, we still have several games left to play where he can contribute.

What is even more baffling is he's not even our draft pick fans got excited about and can't let go of. He was a bust who has had the same issues his entire career. The 1st half of the 2014 season bought him all of this leeway, because beyond that, he's been more JAG than anything else.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Fair enough. I also couldn't care less what your opinion on the matter is. I dont think Ro is still here because of the teams lack of a spine.

Immediately releasing a player you clearly need for missing voluntary OTAs is flat stupid.

We clearly dont trust him and are most likely not resigning him. Until then the team needs him.

I'm not giving you an opinion. I'm telling you Parcells wouldn't tolerate it and you bringing up Lawrence Taylor was literally the worst comparison one could ever make.

You're probably not sharp enough to realize a team run by it's players has no chance to compete. With a real head coach with authority, Rolando McClain wouldn't be here. The fact that he is here and allowed to go on vacation for the 3rd straight year tells any fan with a clue that this team is fatally flawed.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Particularly when that player gets fat and underperforms in regards to the "talent" he has every year. It never ceases to amaze me how people can defend this guy. Sure, it's no big deal. Skip practice, come to camp fat and take half a season to round into shape so we can get up and down, disinterested play most of the time. It's cool, we still have several games left to play where he can contribute.

What is even more baffling is he's not even our draft pick fans got excited about and can't let go of. He was a bust who has had the same issues his entire career. The 1st half of the 2014 season bought him all of this leeway, because beyond that, he's been more JAG than anything else.

It's obvious. This is the Jerry effect. Appeasing and coddling players while emasculating his head coach. Which leads to situations like this where a lazy, disinterested player can take time off whenever he wants to. It also leads to a really long injury list as players know they can get a break that way.

Bring in a Parcells and it changes tomorrow. As it changed yesterday. This was the culture he talked about and we are right back where we were before him, as he said we would be.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
This coach looks like a hypocritical fool the way he deep sixed Greg Hardy and yet allows Ro to do whatever the heck he wants.
I'm not buying Jerry's influence one bit on this.

Reactions: BAT

CWR

Reaction score
I'm not giving you an opinion. I'm telling you Parcells wouldn't tolerate it and you bringing up Lawrence Taylor was literally the worst comparison one could ever make.

You're probably not sharp enough to realize a team run by it's players has no chance to compete. With a real head coach with authority, Rolando McClain wouldn't be here. The fact that he is here and allowed to go on vacation for the 3rd straight year tells any fan with a clue that this team is fatally flawed.

No, a fact is something that happened not your prediction. LT was an example of a player that relentlessly did what he was compeled to do. Fact is Parcells tolerated that from LT. Im not at all saying Ro is LT. But who is to say Parcells couldn't have coached Ro into being a special player. He knew how to motivate guys and seemed to push all the right buttons.

I dont believe players run the Cowboys. I think they are a middle of the road team that is willing to take flyers on guys and hold out hope for talent. If players ran the team Hardy wouldve been resigned and Randle may not have been cut. Just because we havent cut Ro for missing voluntary OTAs doesnt mean we wont part ways with him in the future.

We can have a discussion about this with out you getting you're panties in a wad and flinging insults. Again after going on and on about Wentz being the next Tom Brady and a future hall of fame player without taking a snap its a joke you would insult anyone elses intelligence.

CowboyChris

Reaction score
It's obvious. This is the Jerry effect. Appeasing and coddling players while emasculating his head coach. Which leads to situations like this where a lazy, disinterested player can take time off whenever he wants to. It also leads to a really long injury list as players know they can get a break that way.

Bring in a Parcells and it changes tomorrow. As it changed yesterday. This was the culture he talked about and we are right back where we were before him, as he said we would be.

didn't you know the RKG's get special privileges

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No, a fact is something that happened not your prediction.

It's a fact that no player was allowed to miss time three straight offseasons for family reasons under Parcells.

Fact. Not opinion.

LT was an example of a player that relentlessly did what he was compeled to do. Fact is Parcells tolerated that from LT. Im not at all saying Ro is LT. But who is to say Parcells couldn't have coached Ro into being a special player. He knew how to motivate guys and seemed to push all the right buttons.

LT was an example of your poor comprehension of what's going on or your complete inability to be impartial. LT never did what McClain is doing. LT is not even in the same area code as a player as McClain. He wasn't lazy, he wasn't routinely out of shape, he didn't question his own love of the game, he didn't look to skip out on working with his teammates.

Oh, and he also was like 3 times the player than Rolando McClain will ever be.

But other than that the similarities were scary. Give yourself a foam fingered pat on the back.

I dont believe players run the Cowboys.

Well then you have no clue what's going on and you're basically a waste of a read.

I think they are a middle of the road team that is willing to take flyers on guys and hold out hope for talent. If players ran the team Hardy wouldve been resigned and Randle may not have been cut. Just because we havent cut Ro for missing voluntary OTAs doesnt mean we wont part ways with him in the future.

We can have a discussion about this with out you getting you're panties in a wad and flinging insults. Again after going on and on about Wentz being the next Tom Brady and a future hall of fame player without taking a snap its a joke you would insult anyone elses intelligence.

Eventually releasing a player after years of practicing when he wants to only appeases the face painters. A real head coach with real authority would never tolerate any player doing that.

Like Bill Parcells. Who never did.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Looks like a mutual understanding between Ro and the Cowboys. He's been on a one year contract each year. He knows we aren't committed to him, and he's okay with that because he's not committed to football or the Cowboys. In an NFL game, you cannot go through the motions...too fast, too physical. He gives us a full effort on game day, and we are just using him as a commodity until a better option comes along. We also have other options at MLB. But you don't cut off your nose to spite your face. As long as the other options at MLB are a step back in quality, he plays. As soon as a young player steps up or he performs poorly, he's replaced.

perrykemp

Reaction score
Looks like a mutual understanding between Ro and the Cowboys. He's been on a one year contract each year. He knows we aren't committed to him, and he's okay with that because he's not committed to football or the Cowboys. In an NFL game, you cannot go through the motions...too fast, too physical. He gives us a full effort on game day, and we are just using him as a commodity until a better option comes along. We also have other options at MLB. But you don't cut off your nose to spite your face. As long as the other options at MLB are a step back in quality, he plays. As soon as a young player steps up or he performs poorly, he's replaced.

I guess that's one way to look at it.

I wonder if Bill Belichick would be so forgiving of a guy who who consistently shows up out of shape, misses games due to suspension, and seemingly does everything humanly possible to practice as little as possible during OTAs and training camp.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Speaking for myself: I'm going to wait and see what he does with the rest of the OTA's, Minicamp, training camp, etc. before I decide anything about his offseason this year.

It isn't good to miss the first OTA's though.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Speaking for myself: I'm going to wait and see what he does with the rest of the OTA's, Minicamp, training camp, etc. before I decide anything about his offseason this year.

It isn't good to miss the first OTA's though.

In service, I just didn't like those that always ended up on the sick call list...just saying.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
In 2014 I was loving Rolando McClain. Remember Lee had been injured and was out for the season and we all thought our defense would be one of the worst in NFL history. Then Jones took a calculated gamble on McClain, and the guy stepped it up and really delivered. I was excited about the prospect of him being together with Lee in 2015 and then ... he shows up out of shape and just isn't his old self. After a while in the season he improved some, but still just wasn't the same guy. Disappointment.

The dude needs to show up to camp in shape, kick some butt in preseason, and be ready to make plays. If he doesn't perform, maybe the team is better off shopping the waiver wires.

I found an article on this topic:

Can The Cowboys Count On Rolando McClain To Deliver In 2016?
This time next season, I hope to be sitting here spouting off just how excited I am about the Cowboys linebacker situation. With Sean Lee and Jaylon Smith slated to be chasing down ball carriers for years to come, who wouldn't be thrilled about that? The answer is no one, because that is a grand scenario that should have all fans delighted.

But that is then. What about now?

Well, the Cowboys still sit in pretty good shape as they will have the dynamic duo of Lee and Rolando McClain manning the middle of the field. Don’t act so disappointed. It wasn’t too long ago that we were all super-eager to see these two on the field together. And now that we’ve seen it, some of the romance seems to have fizzled. Fans aren’t anticipating this tandem like they were last year. Why is that? They were actually pretty good together last year. Sean Lee was outstanding and whether it jumped out at you or not, Rolando McClain was doing Rolando McClain things.
[continued]

full article: http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2016...-count-on-rolando-mcclain-to-deliver-in-2016-

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
It's fair to say Ro McClain is pushing his luck by starting out the year this way. Missing OTAs has become routine for him but his talent is tough to come by, let alone match, considering the modest financial cost. Eventually, the Cowboys are likely to find another MLB with the kind of talent and level of reliability that will allow them to send Rolando packing. Until that happens, expect to see him remain a Cowboy, at least for this year.

Are they still voluntary or are they now mandatory? I remember the great Darren Hambrick's "what do voluntary mean"

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Are they still voluntary or are they now mandatory? I remember the great Darren Hambrick's "what do voluntary mean"

They are considered voluntary as far as forgiveness is concerned but great disappointment follows from the staff if they opt out.

Unfortunately, Rolando has been consistent about "bugging out" of practices and OTAs.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Looks to me like he hates to practice.

And wasn't that the rip on him before he came here?

slick325

Reaction score
Boy I sure hope that Peroneal Nerve starts firing ASAP and Jaylon Smith can start coming along...at least then the MLB will be at OTAs and practicing throughout TC and the regular season.

No clue what's going on with Ro McClain but there is always something...