Rolando McClain on the rise?

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
I think he'll easily be a starter and be our best lb. This lb core is really bad.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Sounds very promising so far. I'm excited about his possibilities.
Did read somewhere a writer said he lacked top speed.
Does anyone know is that is true? I thought with the Raiders he was known for being fast.
Could've been my Madden days.

I wonder if those are people just looking at his 40 time. His 40 is pedestrian compared to Carter but about the same as Lee.

But it doesn't appear he has any problems getting to the outside.
  • Rolando McClain is super aggressive chasing the run to the outside, so much so he tends to overrun the play. I guarantee that Matt Eberflus is correcting as we speak.

chagus

Reaction score
The guy HAD to play for the Raiders. Now he's a Dallas Cowboy. HAAA!! 'Nuff said.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I wonder if those are people just looking at his 40 time. His 40 is pedestrian compared to Carter but about the same as Lee.

He didn't have issues getting to the edge in college, I remember that for sure because I very clearly recall being surprised at how quickly such a big LB would get outside. I was watching one game and it looked for sure like the RB was going to get the edge on McClain but Rolando got there first and absolutely blew him up. Knocked the runner about 5 yards into his own bench, lol.

He has really good football speed regardless of what he did at the combine.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Broaddus said that he lack good speed and then people started parroting him. In reality, as you said, his speed is about the same as Lee's.

He did slow down a little while in Oakland because his weight got up over 260. I've heard that his weight is back down to his college weight of 250.

Broaddus and minions also keep saying that WR LaRon Byrd lacks speed, but he is a 4.45 forty guy. He's not a burner, but he looks plenty fast in the video that I've seen.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Just watched his interview on DC.COM and he definitely seems to have his head on straight and just might like playing for/with this team and coaching staff.

If I'm the Cowboys, he plays significant snaps in pre-season to get himself into football shape. I think he's a guy that needs his mind right to play well and it looks like he's at minimum on that path. Would love anyone that has been to TC give insight on to how he has looked at camp.

I'd also like to give a shout-out to the Dallas media (no way right?), for at least giving the young man respectful and football related questions in the interviews and generally make him feel welcomed back to the NFL.

Good OP here...

Frozen700

Reaction score
Tempering my excitement. There's always that player or two that really stands out in TC only to never be heard from again.
Still the fact that he got first team reps today. And there being nothing but positive reports concerning him is very promising. For what we gave up and what we are paying him. Anything good he does is all gravy.

hahaha so true, especially regarding us. I do hope he blows up big time for us.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Allow me to say it right here, for where this defensive unit is right now, Rolando McClain could be the difference in a so so defense, and a strong one.

Bluestang

Reaction score
I'm not sure that Broaddus ever said he lacked speed.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/a...th-Power/ddc86fef-3320-49de-9cae-a967affee9b9

Here is the excerpt from his scouting report:
  • For a player his size, he does not look quick, but there were some snaps in that Saints contest where he flowed to the ball nicely and with some quickness. I questioned his effort when he became tired. Were some drives in the Steelers and Broncos games where the Raiders were having a hard time getting off the field and he was no help. Can be very physical at the point of attack when the ball comes right at him whether it was the running back or the lead back. Is not afraid of that contact.
  • Surprising how we he covers for a player of his size. Would have to say that one of his better traits is his ability to understand where he needs to fit in his zone drops and get in position to handle those assignments. There were several snaps in the Steelers game where he had to carry the running back wide in the flat out of man coverage and he was able to put himself in good position to not allow the ball to be thrown in his direction. Was even asked to carry the tight end up the field and was not an issue. Did not look out of place at all in this regard.

I guess if you skimmed this over you can easily interpret that he said he's slow, but Broaddus has been pimping this guy since he signed with the team. He is very adamant that McClain will make this team as long as he's mentally right.

He talks about him on TC alot and believes that McClain can make Durant expendable.

CCBoy

Reaction score
By Clarence E. Hill Jr.

chill@star-telegram.com

OXNARD, Calif. — Roughly a week into resuming his career, Cowboys middle linebacker Roland McClain is already gettng first-team reps.
McClain, who missed 2013 while in retirement, worked with the starters at times Saturday in the regular defense and during goal-line drills.
McClain still has a long way to go and with lot of catching up to do to become a regular with the Cowboys. But the 2010 eighth overall pick with the Oakland Raiders has made a good first impression with the Cowboys.

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/2014/08/02/6014662/rolando-mcclain-is-getting-first.html#storylink=cpy

CCBoy

Reaction score
Jason Garrett likes what he’s seen from Rolando McClain, ‘easy to see why he was a top 10 pick’
http://0.gravatar.com/avatar/23c5110466ed7c234a985a645c542863?s=52&d=http%3A%2F%2Fres.***BANNED-URL***%2Fresources%2Fimages%2FSD-logo-50.jpg%3Fs%3D52&r=G
By Jon Machota
http://cowboysblog.***BANNED-URL***...in-easy-to-see-why-he-was-a-top-10-pick.html/

http://cowboysblog.***BANNED-URL***/files/2014/08/NS_26AFTERNOON19_38999013-620x470.jpg
Dallas Cowboys linebackers Keith Smith (43) and Rolando McClain (55), during their afternoon practice at Dallas Cowboys training camp in Oxnard, CA, on July 26, 2014. (Michael Ainsworth/The Dallas Morning News)

OXNARD, Calif. – Rolando McClain is quickly picking up the Dallas Cowboys defense. During his repetitions working with the first, second and third teams at middle linebacker, the eighth overall pick in the 2010 draft has impressed Jason Garrett.

“I have liked what he’s done so far,” Garrett said. “He’s in shape. That was one of the initial things we had to monitor, what kind of football shape he was in, and he was able to handle reps physically right away. He’s smart. He picks things up very quickly in meetings and is able to translate it on the field.

“It’s easy to see why he was a top 10 pick in the draft coming out of school. We talk about the success he had at Alabama, that kind of a program, the kind of games he played in, the kind of leader he was for them. I think you see a lot of those traits. Now, it’s really early and he’s probably practiced four or five days with us and he has a long way to go, but he’s really kind of stepped into this situation and it seems like he’s taking advantage of this opportunity. You see a lot of really good traits both physically and otherwise.”...

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tempering my excitement. There's always that player or two that really stands out in TC only to never be heard from again.
Still the fact that he got first team reps today. And there being nothing but positive reports concerning him is very promising. For what we gave up and what we are paying him. Anything good he does is all gravy.

Name one of those that had shown the ability to play in the NFL in the past over multiple seasons.

McClain didn't get cut in Oakland due to a lack of ability. He was cut due to his mental/emotional issues.

If he wants to play, he can play. It's that simple.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I'm hoping he becomes our Urlacher in this D. Same size and measurables at least.

That would be nice.

McClain doesn't have the same straight line speed that Urlacher had coming out of college, where he was actually a safety. However, McClain is even more physical than Brian was and plays stronger. I'm telling you, Rolando is a rock in the middle. That guy will just blow you up and not think twice about it.

I'd love to have that kind of guy roaming the middle. The offense will definitely have their head's on a swivel, that's for sure.

CCBoy

Reaction score
That would be nice.

McClain doesn't have the same straight line speed that Urlacher had coming out of college, where he was actually a safety. However, McClain is even more physical than Brian was and plays stronger. I'm telling you, Rolando is a rock in the middle. That guy will just blow you up and not think twice about it.

I'd love to have that kind of guy roaming the middle. The offense will definitely have their head's on a swivel, that's for sure.

Asthma, you hit the head of the nailed it. As Rolando gets in step, and Lee out, the middle of the field just went from soft to aggressive.