Video: Romo’s thoughts on the Cowboys without a 1 receiver

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score

I thought that Romo’s comments were very insightful, as usual.

His premise is that Dak’s stellar first year was in large part due to teams not having tape on him. The Cowboys had a new quarterback and a new running back, and it took an entire season for the NFL to understand the tendencies of the offense.

That’s also his explanation for the team’s offensive struggles the next season.

He believes that the loss of Dez and Witten will initially be a big plus for the team, for the same reason.

Initially there will be some success because it'll be hard for them to determine out who to double team and what they're going to do defensively”.

If you look at the schedule, it starts out difficult and gets easier as the season wears on. If what Romo said holds true, getting off to a fast start against the most difficult part of the schedule could mean big things for the team this year.

:flagwave:

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
I've not either (yet) ,,but,,, if that's not the evaluation of an
" on scene " field commanders view, well, I reckon I've fergotton to suck air 10 years ago,,,o_O

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Couple interesting comments...

1. At the end of the season big time players need to step up and make big time plays.

(This is true and something the team has consistently lacked since the 90’s.)

2. Terrance Williams is an underrated receiver.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score

I thought that Romo’s comments were very insightful, as usual.

His premise is that Dak’s stellar first year was in large part due to teams not having tape on him. The Cowboys had a new quarterback and a new running back, and it took an entire season for the NFL to understand the tendencies of the offense.

That’s also his explanation for the team’s offensive struggles the next season.

He believes that the loss of Dez and Witten will initially be a big plus for the team, for the same reason.

Initially there will be some success because it'll be hard for them to determine out who to double team and what they're going to do defensively”.

If you look at the schedule, it starts out difficult and gets easier as the season wears on. If what Romo said holds true, getting off to a fast start against the most difficult part of the schedule could mean big things for the team this year.

:flagwave:

Fantastic thread header,BROTHER #9 LUVER!!!:thumbup:
:starspin::yourock::starspin:

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The key to keeping defenses honest is running multiple plays out of the same sets. Staying away from calling the same play from the same set on a certain down and distance.....Scott.
Norv was a master of this. In the 90's did you really know whether it was going to be Emmitt, Jay, or Mike? If you happened to have guessed the right one, it was a bomb to harper.

Scott did this in Daks first season, but morphed it back to his base offense last year, WHICH SUCKS!

Frozen700

Reaction score
The key to keeping defenses honest is running multiple plays out of the same sets. Staying away from calling the same play from the same set on a certain down and distance.....Scott.
Norv was a master of this. In the 90's did you really know whether it was going to be Emmitt, Jay, or Mike? If you happened to have guessed the right one, it was a bomb to harper.

Scott did this in Daks first season, but morphed it back to his base offense last year, WHICH SUCKS!

This.....

I've always been a firm believer. The hardest thing to guard against is the unknown

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Come on Romo, you're the best golfer out her...act like it.

1972COWBOY

Reaction score
Without a number 1 receiver, who are the other teams going to know who to double team ; it could be an issue for them.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
In 2016 we had a healthy Lee, Tyron, and 16 games of Zeke. Without comsistent production from the team’s best players— is it any surprise that we lost 4 more games than we did the year before?

There was a confluence of issues that sunk us last year— not just an inconsistent passing attack or Dez/Dak struggles.

That said— it’s clear that the team has prioritzed revamping the WR corps— and what we give up in name recognition, size, 50/50 balls and physicality on the outside— we gain speed, route running, and consistent hands/ball skills.

I am 4 episodes through “All or Nothing” and I am fine with them moving on from Dez. Looking fwd to seeing where this team goes in 2018.

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
Couple interesting comments...

1. At the end of the season big time players need to step up and make big time plays.

(This is true and something the team has consistently lacked since the 90’s.)

2. Terrance Williams is an underrated receiver.

Really I can't wait til he's gone!

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
If there's no one worth doubling, they will stack the box and take away Zeke. The only way this is going to be successful is if they are totally unpredictable.

That's why you have guys like Austin and the FB from Oakland to deal with staking the box. If the staff can get creative with a backfield package along with Hurns and Gallup in the out slide then they will be just fine.

Not to mention gathers could because a problem for defenses if he holds up the hype.

conner01

Reaction score
Without a number 1 receiver, who are the other teams going to know who to double team ; it could be an issue for them.
The question is do we have a receiver they have to double
The key to this working is players beating single coverage. If they can it will work well if lineman can be less predictable

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If there's no one worth doubling, they will stack the box and take away Zeke. The only way this is going to be successful is if they are totally unpredictable.

Dak has got to complete some throws to back the defense off the line and keep them honest. I don't understand why the offense can't see what teams did last year and adapt. We've had a whole off season to counter. This is the offense garret built. So, its on him.