Video: Romo’s thoughts on the Cowboys without a 1 receiver

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
lol. You will be miserable for years to come. Romo was a long-time quarterback of the franchise and a top network sports commentator now. He will be in the crosshairs of anyone wanting his viewpoint on Cowboys affairs for decades.
LMAO, they already asked Aikman the same question.

I think they need to go ask Brady the same question. He won most of his jewelry with a bunch of good #2's.

It is not just a question for the Cowboys but every team. Just how critical is a #1WR to the overall success of the team? I've seen damned few deliver rings and the ones that did, Rice, Irvin, Swann, had great #2's and good teams, with balance, around them.

robjay04

Reaction score
I do believe Romo is overrated having a number one receiver. A lot of the better teams in the league don’t have a number one WR...but a collection of guys that step up throughout the season.

Now...if I am Jason Garrett/McClay/Jones boys...I am taking a hard look in the mirror regarding our TE position. If you truly feel like you’re good there then go with it...but if you have any doubts, you need to shop around the trade market and even overpay if you have to.

The TE position may be the most important position in the passing game for the offense it appears we are trying to run. If we are trying to run a passing offense similar to the Chiefs of last season or the Patriots, we need that big athletic TE.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
If teams caught on to what the offense was doing midseason, shouldn't it have had an effect on scoring when both Smith and Martin were in the game?

SCORING
with all 5 starting OL
Games 1-8
212 points on 85 drives (2.49 points per drive)
26.1 points per game
Games 9-16
81 points on 32 drives (2.53 points per drive)
26.6 points per game

without either Smith or Martin
Games 1-8

--
Games 9-16
40 points on 49 drives (0.82 points per drive)
8.6 points per game

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Every interview with Romo he’s on the golf course. He probably plays golf almost every day. The Cowboys are banking that one of their receivers steps up and has a big year. It’s going to be tough if one of them doesn’t establish themselves as a threat.

robjay04

Reaction score

I think they need to go ask Brady the same question. He won most of his jewelry with a bunch of good #2's.

It is not just a question for the Cowboys but every team. Just how critical is a #1WR to the overall success of the team? I've seen damned few deliver rings and the ones that did, Rice, Irvin, Swann, had great #2's and good teams, with balance, around them.

I think the modern era, you will see far less number ones.

I’m gonna name the best WRs off the top of my head over the last 10-15 years...

Dez
TO
Moss
Brown
Megatron
Ocho Cinco
AJ Green
Julio
Larry Fitz

Now correct me if I’m wrong but I’m counting a grand total of zero SBs from that very impressive list.

The last receiver I see that truly put up the numbers you expect from an elite receiver is probably Greg Jennings in 2011 but I never considered him elite...so I’ll go back further and say the last “elite receiver” to win a ring was 2007 with Marvin Harrison

Gameover

Reaction score
lol. You will be miserable for years to come. Romo was a long-time quarterback of the franchise and a top network sports commentator now. He will be in the crosshairs of anyone wanting his viewpoint on Cowboys affairs for decades.

No need to track him down on a golf course to get his opinion. It was equally disgusting when they tracked Dak down at a charity event to get his opinion on the Dez release

Networks host conference calls with their analysts before the start of the season... ask away.

@WillieBeamen since you co signing

robjay04

Reaction score
Every interview with Romo he’s on the golf course. He probably plays golf almost every day.

Maybe..

It’s probably the only place he is exposed to media in the offseason as well.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Maybe..

It’s probably the only place he is exposed to media in the offseason as well.

With no football to broadcast this time a year he’s got a lot of time on his hands to play golf.

robjay04

Reaction score
With no football to broadcast this time a year he’s got a lot of time on his hands to play golf.

I’m sure.

It still amazes me why some people think he will leave that job for football at his age now. He can play golf all day and go back home and hang with his family.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No need to track him down on a golf course to get his opinion. It was equally disgusting when they tracked Dak down at a charity event to get his opinion on the Dez release

Networks host conference calls with their analysts before the start of the season... ask away.

@WillieBeamen since you co signing
Methinks your definition of 'no need' is the polar opposite of anyone seeking sound bites.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score

If Brady were to mentor Dak and he became a better QB, get ready for the plethora of "Dink & Dunk" posts.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Three things to help kickstart the offense immediately this year:

1. Start Williams at LG and return to roadgrader football with Zeke and the rest of the RB gang.

2. Put Gallup out there and let him run his prescise routes.

3. Getting rid of the Dez route tree and his drops and forced passes to him.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Three things to help kickstart the offense immediately this year:

1. Start Williams at LG and return to roadgrader football with Zeke and the rest of the RB gang.

2. Put Gallup out there and let him run his prescise routes.

3. Getting rid of the Dez route Sapling and his drops and forced passes to him.
I agree, but made one small change above^

Big D

Reaction score
:clap:I'm glad that he gave Tdub some love.

According to the cz scouts he's a body catching bum! What does Romo know? :laugh:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think the modern era, you will see far less number ones.

I’m gonna name the best WRs off the top of my head over the last 10-15 years...

Dez
TO
Moss
Brown
Megatron
Ocho Cinco
AJ Green
Julio
Larry Fitz

Now correct me if I’m wrong but I’m counting a grand total of zero SBs from that very impressive list.

The last receiver I see that truly put up the numbers you expect from an elite receiver is probably Greg Jennings in 2011 but I never considered him elite...so I’ll go back further and say the last “elite receiver” to win a ring was 2007 with Marvin Harrison
And the D and run game delivered that to them because manning did not play well in the playoffs.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Brady were to mentor Dak and he became a better QB, get ready for the plethora of "Dink & Dunk" posts.
Probably but Brady's ability to find the open receiver and deliver the ball on time is unmatched with any QB I have ever watched. He's also 2" taller than Dak but delivers it even higher than that.

However, Brady's weakness is the same as Dak's, get in his face and hit him and his effectiveness level drops dramatically. That's why I've been in favor of Dak using what Brady doesn't have, run ability. Risky? To be sure but the game is all about risk and he's one of the best sliders I have seen.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Probably but Brady's ability to find the open receiver and deliver the ball on time is unmatched with any QB I have ever watched. He's also 2" taller than Dak but delivers it even higher than that.

However, Brady's weakness is the same as Dak's, get in his face and hit him and his effectiveness level drops dramatically. That's why I've been in favor of Dak using what Brady doesn't have, run ability. Risky? To be sure but the game is all about risk and he's one of the best sliders I have seen.
I'm not discounting Brady, he's annoyingly great. But I think the system they develop year after year is freaking amazing.

birdwells1

Reaction score

If your QB is THE number 1 then you can have a bunch of number 2 receivers.