Video: Romo’s thoughts on the Cowboys without a 1 receiver

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
If teams caught on to what the offense was doing midseason, shouldn't it have had an effect on scoring when both Smith and Martin were in the game?

SCORING
with all 5 starting OL
Games 1-8

212 points on 85 drives (2.49 points per drive)
26.1 points per game
Games 9-16
81 points on 32 drives (2.53 points per drive)
26.6 points per game

without either Smith or Martin
Games 1-8

--
Games 9-16
40 points on 49 drives (0.82 points per drive)
8.6 points per game

Nah teams schemed to take out Smith knee and groin and colluded with the commish on Zeke. We all know that. Romo loves to hear himself talk. He would sit in front of the media scrum for 15 minutes rambling on about "honig his craft", "getting better next week", "improving his play". His talk was cheap, his cap hit wasn't

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Romo is too modest to say that the large part of the 2016 season's success was due to his brain
:clap:*HEYyyyy Now!:clap:

* I had to don my green&white jockey'sLOVE HATERS attire just to post thiso_O

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Apparently the course dress code specifically mentioned not wearing your hat backwards. What's strange is that he looks like he came from a theatrical performance where he was in blackface.

Can't tell if he looks fat or not.
His butt is probably big as a bass fiddle. He's always had problems with the weight going to his hips and buttocks.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score

I thought that Romo’s comments were very insightful, as usual.

His premise is that Dak’s stellar first year was in large part due to teams not having tape on him. The Cowboys had a new quarterback and a new running back, and it took an entire season for the NFL to understand the tendencies of the offense.

That’s also his explanation for the team’s offensive struggles the next season.

He believes that the loss of Dez and Witten will initially be a big plus for the team, for the same reason.

Initially there will be some success because it'll be hard for them to determine out who to double team and what they're going to do defensively”.

If you look at the schedule, it starts out difficult and gets easier as the season wears on. If what Romo said holds true, getting off to a fast start against the most difficult part of the schedule could mean big things for the team this year.

:flagwave:

I think Romo had flashbacks of what happened to him when he didnt have a #1 WR. He couldnt move the ball.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Are there any stats of Dak throwing inside and outside the numbers?
The real difference is between the numbers.

Prescott's 972 aimed attempts (2016-17)
L 238 of 354 (67%) 2647 yds (7.5 ypa) 16 td 7 int 96.1
M 145 of 217 (67%) 1745 yds (8.0 ypa) 11 td 8 int 92.8
R 259 of 401 (65%) 2874 yds (7.2 ypa) 21 td 3 int 100.1

Romo's 1,007 aimed attempts (2013-14)
L 250 of 374 (67%) 2801 yds (7.5 ypa) 17 td 4 int 99.7
M 184 of 270 (68%) 2470 yds (9.1 ypa) 26 td 3 int 124.5
R 245 of 363 (68%) 2735 yds (7.5 ypa) 25 td 9 int 102.3

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
If you look at the schedule, it starts out difficult and gets easier as the season wears on. If what Romo said holds true, getting off to a fast start against the most difficult part of the schedule could mean big things for the team this year.

That is nice and all, it gets a 12-4, 13-3 if fortunate.

That still is irrelevant when it comes to playing the best in the playoffs.

I think we have figured that out the last two times we actually qualified.

lkelly

Reaction score
His butt is probably big as a bass fiddle. He's always had problems with the weight going to his hips and buttocks.

That's oddly specific.

a-moment-on-the-lips-forever-on-the-hips.jpg

birdwells1

Reaction score
The natural thing for a team to do would be to have a plan to adjust their tendencies as defenses pick up on the ones that they have shown. From Romo's comments, it doesn't sound like such a practice was part of how we did things.

Really I would go into the off season thinking that none of my top plays are going to work in the upcoming year.

Most teams in high school, college and pros self scout, they have a quality control person scout the offense and defense to see if they're any tendecies.

Last edited:

Jstopper

Reaction score
Nah teams schemed to take out Smith knee and groin and colluded with the commish on Zeke. We all know that. Romo loves to hear himself talk. He would sit in front of the media scrum for 15 minutes rambling on about "honig his craft", "getting better next week", "improving his play". His talk was cheap, his cap hit wasn't

"It's better to be quiet and let ppl think you a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

Wood

Reaction score

I thought that Romo’s comments were very insightful, as usual.

His premise is that Dak’s stellar first year was in large part due to teams not having tape on him. The Cowboys had a new quarterback and a new running back, and it took an entire season for the NFL to understand the tendencies of the offense.

That’s also his explanation for the team’s offensive struggles the next season.

He believes that the loss of Dez and Witten will initially be a big plus for the team, for the same reason.

Initially there will be some success because it'll be hard for them to determine out who to double team and what they're going to do defensively”.

:flagwave:

the more I listen and watch Romo the classier this guy gets. Its indictment on players around him that they couldn't get past 2nd round of playoffs.

School

Reaction score
Are there any stats of Dak throwing inside and outside the numbers?

My eyeballs told me that he really struggled throwing outside. But I stand to be corrected.

Romo hinted that this may be an issue.

Dak's accuracy percentage on throws that traveled further than 10 yards downfield and arrived outside the numbers on either side of the field:

46.3%, 15th in the league, right behind Russel Wilson. Brees was the most accurate by a significant margin (61.6%).

Other notables:

Carsus of Bismarck - 45.2% (18th)
Nick Foles - 51.3% (6th)
Kirk Cousins - 34.1% (35th), 'member when people were wanting to sign him?

Accuracy percentage on deep sideline throws (passes that traveled outside the numbers and further than 20 yards downfield):

Dak - 42.4% (10th)
Carsus - 27.8% (29th)
Foles - 47.4 (8th)
Cousins - 25.6% (34th)
Derek Carr - 22.2% (36th), showing it's not all about arm strength.

CowboysBravesSpurs

Reaction score
What are you going on about?

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Wrong..

Doubling Cole by dropping a man off the DL while showing Rush has no bearing on the doubles to Dez whose basically lines up on the outside the whole time..
Cole was getting doubled by any means necessary.

FLcowboy

When Jerry, when?
Reaction score
Romo is too modest to say that the large part of the 2016 season's success was due to his brain

Right on. People don't give Romo the credit he deserves. T. Owens might have been a jerk, but Romo knew how to maximize T.O.