Video: Romo’s thoughts on the Cowboys without a 1 receiver

birdwells1

Reaction score
I think the modern era, you will see far less number ones.

I’m gonna name the best WRs off the top of my head over the last 10-15 years...

Dez
TO
Moss
Brown
Megatron
Ocho Cinco
AJ Green
Julio
Larry Fitz

Now correct me if I’m wrong but I’m counting a grand total of zero SBs from that very impressive list.

The last receiver I see that truly put up the numbers you expect from an elite receiver is probably Greg Jennings in 2011 but I never considered him elite...so I’ll go back further and say the last “elite receiver” to win a ring was 2007 with Marvin Harrison
TO, Moss, Julio and Fitz made it to the Super Bowl.

khiladi

Reaction score
They doubled Cole last season and not Dez.

Wrong..

Doubling Cole by dropping a man off the DL while showing Rush has no bearing on the doubles to Dez whose basically lines up on the outside the whole time..

robjay04

Reaction score
TO, Moss, Julio and Fitz made it to the Super Bowl.

Ok? So did Dan Marino but nobody brings that up. You either have a ring or you don’t.

And only Julio has done it in the last 10ish years.

blindzebra

Reaction score
If there's no one worth doubling, they will stack the box and take away Zeke. The only way this is going to be successful is if they are totally unpredictable.
You can't stack the box if we spread them out, they have to cover a receiver outside regardless of how good they are.

EGTuna

Reaction score
You can't stack the box if we spread them out, they have to cover a receiver outside regardless of how good they are.

This. I hope we see much more S11, S10 personnel and RUN from it with Zeke, and Scarborough. Get their D in dime/nickel and run and then RPO, and then run some more.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
It's now Romo's job to comment on everything, but that doesn't mean he's right all of the time or knows what he's talking about in every situation.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

His premise is that Dak’s stellar first year was in large part due to teams not having tape on him. The Cowboys had a new quarterback and a new running back, and it took an entire season for the NFL to understand the tendencies of the offense.

That’s also his explanation for the team’s offensive struggles the next season.

Initially there will be some success because it'll be hard for them to determine out who to double team and what they're going to do defensively”.

The natural thing for a team to do would be to have a plan to adjust their tendencies as defenses pick up on the ones that they have shown. From Romo's comments, it doesn't sound like such a practice was part of how we did things.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Hey, I'll be happy if we go 10 personnel with 4 WR's more often. Teams knew exactly how to defend the 11 personnel and we hardly ever played the 12. Let's throw the little speed at them. Make them go small and cover. Let them deal with Zeke. We have great potential with the O-line making holes for Zeke to run through and zeke is a very good blocking back. Keep 'em guessing, stop being so predictable.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Funny thing is according to Romo, the let down last year was because teams got a chance to scheme for Dak and Zeke. Zeke nearly rushed for 1000 yards in 8 games. So it must have been on Dak. Wonder how Romo would assess his own career... They schemed me? My teams went 8-8 because they schemed me. C'mon Tone, come clean. We went 12-4 in 2014 and lost to the Pack because they schemed me or they schemed me and Demarco? I'd be interested in hearing Romo's take on that. Tone loves to hear himself talk

lkelly

Reaction score
Apparently the course dress code specifically mentioned not wearing your hat backwards. What's strange is that he looks like he came from a theatrical performance where he was in blackface.

Can't tell if he looks fat or not.

crashintonickdm

Reaction score
Funny thing is according to Romo, the let down last year was because teams got a chance to scheme for Dak and Zeke. Zeke nearly rushed for 1000 yards in 8 games. So it must have been on Dak. Wonder how Romo would assess his own career... They schemed me? My teams went 8-8 because they schemed me. C'mon Tone, come clean. We went 12-4 in 2014 and lost to the Pack because they schemed me or they schemed me and Demarco? I'd be interested in hearing Romo's take on that. Tone loves to hear himself talk

Romo kept those 8-8 teams from being 4-12.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
As often as I've heard the "processs talk" and the "right kinda guy talk" form JG, while Romo was playing it was "I'm always honing my craft" or " I'm always finding ways to improve my game" or "I'm always learning something and improving" or " I'll come back better next year from this experience". He was all talk then, all talk now

Reaction score
If teams caught on to what the offense was doing midseason, shouldn't it have had an effect on scoring when both Smith and Martin were in the game?

SCORING
with all 5 starting OL
Games 1-8

212 points on 85 drives (2.49 points per drive)
26.1 points per game
Games 9-16
81 points on 32 drives (2.53 points per drive)
26.6 points per game

without either Smith or Martin
Games 1-8

--
Games 9-16
40 points on 49 drives (0.82 points per drive)
8.6 points per game
Are there any stats of Dak throwing inside and outside the numbers?

My eyeballs told me that he really struggled throwing outside. But I stand to be corrected.

Romo hinted that this may be an issue.