Video: Romo’s thoughts on the Cowboys without a 1 receiver

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

I thought that Romo’s comments were very insightful, as usual.

His premise is that Dak’s stellar first year was in large part due to teams not having tape on him. The Cowboys had a new quarterback and a new running back, and it took an entire season for the NFL to understand the tendencies of the offense.

That’s also his explanation for the team’s offensive struggles the next season.

He believes that the loss of Dez and Witten will initially be a big plus for the team, for the same reason.

Initially there will be some success because it'll be hard for them to determine out who to double team and what they're going to do defensively”.

If you look at the schedule, it starts out difficult and gets easier as the season wears on. If what Romo said holds true, getting off to a fast start against the most difficult part of the schedule could mean big things for the team this year.

:flagwave:

That is exactly what I said Tony... Tendencies.

For all of you that ask well what was the difference between 2016 & 2017... There it is.. Tendencies.

You have to stay ahead of the game and our coaches don't.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
If there's no one worth doubling, they will stack the box and take away Zeke. The only way this is going to be successful is if they are totally unpredictable.

I actually view this as a positive.

Stack the box and give us man coverage.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
I actually view this as a positive.

Stack the box and give us man coverage.

I agree and that was my main point. Being unpredictable is how they can beat 8 men in the box and force them to go back to a normal set which is when you pound Zeke at them.

Last edited:

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
That is exactly what I said Tony... Tendencies.

For all of you that ask well what was the difference between 2016 & 2017... There it is.. Tendencies.

You have to stay ahead of the game and our coaches don't.
That was far from the only difference.

GMO415

Reaction score
Agreed .If teams go back and watch last year's Den game that's the blueprint to shutdown a EzE favored offense.

We will have to change it up come later in the season

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
They doubled Cole last season and not Dez.

And they'll continue to do it, because they know that's Dak's go-to receiver, until someone forces them out of it.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Tony has been diplomatic through this whole thing.

Lots of truth there about what we all knew about defenses being at a disadvantage having a new look QB and a dominant RB that first year in 2016.
You see it time and time again. Then then theres an offseason and the smart DCs adjust.

But he also had lots a words of encouragement, as he should.
The final story hasn't been told yet

superonyx

Reaction score
So lets think about this for a minute.
The Offensive Coordinator who stood on the sidelines watching Dak get blown up time and time again in the Falcons game and NEVER shifted protection to help stop Claiborne is the guy who is going to fix this?

Teams did to Dak last season what the Giants and Vikings did to him in 2016.
This will be what teams do to him again this season so I hope Linehan has a plan to fix it.

Gameover

Reaction score
Who cares!

I don’t see the need to track Romo down to ask him about the Cowboys personnel decisions.

Cowboys coverage is disgusting

blueblood70

Reaction score
Romo and those pure passing QBs like a true 1 they draw dbls and even when they are covered , they are open, they can be thrown open.a symbiotic relationship for sure, look at what TO did when he came here, no transition or playing time needed, he had some impressive numbers for the short period he played here ALA Brady and Moss.... theres trust there.. however a QB Like Dak who throws with his eyes more and is better when he has choices will benefit abit from having a lot of different types of WR to throw to..o pressure to force it to Dez or Witten this season.. he will see a guy coming open and throw it..Not knock on Dak at this point he is who he is, and that not a pure passing QB..

tunahelper

Reaction score

I thought that Romo’s comments were very insightful, as usual.

His premise is that Dak’s stellar first year was in large part due to teams not having tape on him. The Cowboys had a new quarterback and a new running back, and it took an entire season for the NFL to understand the tendencies of the offense.

That’s also his explanation for the team’s offensive struggles the next season.

He believes that the loss of Dez and Witten will initially be a big plus for the team, for the same reason.

Initially there will be some success because it'll be hard for them to determine out who to double team and what they're going to do defensively”.

If you look at the schedule, it starts out difficult and gets easier as the season wears on. If what Romo said holds true, getting off to a fast start against the most difficult part of the schedule could mean big things for the team this year.

:flagwave:

Another consideration to last year's demise was the suspension hanging over the team. Remember Dallas opened the season scoring 28+ points a game. There has been talk of of Dak friendly offense. If the read option element is installed as reports indicate it will change this offense dramatically. Dallas offense will become unpredictable. If the run game returns to form this offensecan be dominant.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Who cares!

I don’t see the need to track Romo down to ask him about the Cowboys personnel decisions.

Cowboys coverage is disgusting
lol. You will be miserable for years to come. Romo was a long-time quarterback of the franchise and a top network sports commentator now. He will be in the crosshairs of anyone wanting his viewpoint on Cowboys affairs for decades.