Romo and "Roughing the Passer" 2006-15

Status
Not open for further replies.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
I would be curious to see if his numbers align with other mobile QBs. Rodgers might be more the exception to the rule there.
This data below (from PFF) looks only at the penalties that were assessed (declined penalties not included), but it gives you a good idea that the most mobile QB typically get the most RTP calls. This is pass attempts per RTP penalty, since 2009

Newton, Car 161
Wilson, Sea 248
Rodgers, GB 253
Brees, NO 333
Brady, NE 555

rynochop

Reaction score
That mouth breathing mental midget Blandino should have this stat in his email if he knows how to open it

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
You think Eli gets driven into the ground and late hit like Romo?

So you think Mara has some sort of secret arrangement with refs to make Romo pay with questionable hits, but then doesn't have a similar arrangement to protect Eli?

Doomsay

Reaction score
Pass Attempts per 2nd-half RTP Call, since 2006
Rodgers every 192 att
Brady every 224 att
Brees every 242 att
Roethlsbrgr every 391 att
PManning every 609 att
Romo every 2,209 att

Is there a QB hit stat that we could overlay on this? i.e. RTP per QB hit?

I'd imagine that the RTP per sack numbers would be pretty damning on their own.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Was just watching a 2009 game the other day where Romo got creamed with helmet-to-helmet contact on a sack. It's very apparent that the officials aren't as careful about watching over Romo as they are with others QBs for whatever reason.
It's inexcusable and the nonsense is applicable for not protecting all quarterbacks--not just Romo. From NFL.com's Officials' Responsibilities & Positions:

Referee

Position: Offensive backfield 10-12 yards behind the line of scrimmage

<snip>

Pass Plays

• Shadows quarterback from drop to release
<snip>
  • Turns attention solely to quarterbacks as defense approaches
  • Watches for roughing the passer

Officials' Responsibilities & Positions | NFL Football Operations

Forget about the other six refs on the field. They don't matter. ONE ref's primary duty is observing the quarterback during every pass play. And the "no-call because he isn't a top so-and-so" is as weak in the NFL as it is in the NBA, MLB, or any other sport that can be named.

No the ref is watching Romo, just like he watches every quarterback. Each one should be questioned after every game involving any quarterback getting hit illegally. Call foul every time (in other words, do your job) or never call the foul. Some of these referees should man up and stop taking the cowardly way out.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
The only thing Romo has not done the others have - Win a Super Bowl.

What are the numbers on all QB's?
OR
Maybe just by team.

vlad

Reaction score
@percyhoward Wow, what a post. That is mind-boggling, I mean some numbers you can make seem like anything, but for whatever reason...well that's just insane.

You should blast some of this stuff directly onto the Twitter feeds of the NFL, the Cowboys, ESPN, DMN (@Sturm1310) etc...I hope the Cowboys know this and have been raising hell about it. That Matthews hit in the packers game comes to mind as it was so clearly and easily a penalty.

Pass Attempts per 2nd-half RTP Call, since 2006
Rodgers every 192 att
Brady every 224 att
Brees every 242 att
Roethlsbrgr every 391 att
PManning every 609 att
Romo every 2,209 att

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Is there a QB hit stat that we could overlay on this? i.e. RTP per QB hit?

I'd imagine that the RTP per sack numbers would be pretty damning on their own.
Good question. nfl.com's QB hit data (since 2009) says Dallas ranked an average of 19th in fewest hits allowed from 2009-12 when Romo took the majority of the snaps. If a proportionate number of those hits had resulted in a RTP call, Romo would have received a greater than average number of calls during that time, instead of receiving the fewest calls of any QB.

Interestingly, the Packers also ranked an average of 19th in hits allowed over that span. Rogers got 13 RTP calls, while Romo got 2.

brymatt94

Reaction score
Of course Rodgers has the most calls, he's the NFL's "golden boy". I mean they make it seem like him dropping in the first round is such an amazing story and the UDFA Romo is nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.