Romo and "Roughing the Passer" 2006-15

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbark

Reaction score
Full Definition of Blandinoed
  1. transitive verb
  2. 1: to deprive a specific NFL team of something it has earned by the use of deceit or fraud. To turn the other way when the specific team you wish to lose has their QB hit late. <The QB was clubbed around the head and neck area but the ref Blandinoed him and did nothing.>

3. 2: to influence or lead NFL Officials by deceit, trick, or artifice

4. 3: to thwart an NFL team by deceit or lying <He just Blandinoed the hell out of Belichick's team>

5. intransitive verb
  6. 1a : to practice fraud or trickeryb : to violate NFL rules dishonestly <That blackjack dealer just Blandinoed me> <I landinoed my Math teacher because I already had the answers>

7. 2: to be sexually undesireable — <She was getting hot and bothered... but he Blandinoed her and she went home.>
Blandino will issue a statement on how the Cowboy Nation just doenst understand the RTPasser rules.........the only team and fans that don't..

RLM?

Primetime42

Reaction score
We've seen it over and over. Late hits, low hits, late and low hits...no flag.

Since 2009, according to nflpenalties.com, Dallas has benefited form the 3rd-fewest roughing the passer calls as a percentage of pass attempts. Only Baltimore and Jacksonville have had fewer calls per attempt than the Cowboys.

But that isn't the half of it. From 2007-12, Tony Romo had 85% of Dallas' pass attempts. According to PFR, Roughing the Passer was called just 5 times when Dallas had the ball: Twice when Romo was the QB, and 3 times when someone else was the QB. Was Romo -- who holds the ball longer than most QB -- perceived by the league to have been given an unfair advantage by such calls his first year as a starter, and did the league make a conscious effort to stop flagging these illegal hits on Romo after 2006?

The average team gets a RTP call about once every 5 games. From 2007-12, Romo got 2 calls in 83 games. Was 2013 an attempt by the NFL at a "make-up year" -- a reaction to the previous six seasons? If so, it was only a one-year deal. He's only gotten the call once in his 21 games since.

Roughing the Passer calls, by QB
2006 Romo 4, Bledsoe 1
2007 0
2008 Romo 0, Bollinger 1
2009 Romo 1
2010 Romo 0, Kitna 2
2011 Romo 1
2012 0
2013 Romo 4
2014 Romo 1
2015 Romo 0, Cassel 1, Weeden 1

Remember, Romo holds onto the ball longer than most. If anything, he should have been getting more of these calls than the average QB. Also, Romo owns the 4th quarter. His career Late & Close passer rating is the league's best. The 4th quarter when his team is trailing is the time when Romo is most likely to hold the ball for a big play opportunity, and when his opponents are most likely to tee off.

How many 4th-qtr RTP calls has Romo been the beneficiary of in his career? Zero. And only one in the 3rd quarter.

That's a total of one 2nd-half RTP call in his career. How does that compare to the other five top rated 2nd-half passers since 2006?

2nd-half Roughing the Passer Calls, since 2006
Rodgers 16
Brees 13
Brady 12
Rothlisbrgr 6
PManning 4
Romo 1

Pass Attempts per 2nd-half RTP Call, since 2006
Rodgers every 192 att
Brady every 224 att
Brees every 242 att
Roethlsbrgr every 391 att
PManning every 609 att
Romo every 2,209 att
Percy, is this all your work? If so, great job.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
It would help Dallas tremendously for several reasons--two of which are that we'd get 1st downs and opposing players may do it less, thus keeping Romo healthier.
Oh yeah, the big one is opposing players will do it less. You almost never see two RTP calls in the same game, so the penalty works as an effective deterrent. Conversely, when you don't enforce it, you're sending the message that the QB is fair game, which changes everything.

For any QB to get that call just twice in 83 games (and just once in the 2nd half over a span of 126 games) is beyond explanation.

Last year in the 4th qtr or OT, roughing the passer was called once every 158 attempts league-wide. In his career, Romo has dropped back to pass 1,237 times in the 4th qtr or OT of a game, and never gotten that call. Even though the law of averages says it should have happened 8 times already.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
We've seen it over and over. Late hits, low hits, late and low hits...no flag.

Since 2009, according to nflpenalties.com, Dallas has benefited form the 3rd-fewest roughing the passer calls as a percentage of pass attempts. Only Baltimore and Jacksonville have had fewer calls per attempt than the Cowboys.

But that isn't the half of it. From 2007-12, Tony Romo had 85% of Dallas' pass attempts. According to PFR, Roughing the Passer was called just 5 times when Dallas had the ball: Twice when Romo was the QB, and 3 times when someone else was the QB. Was Romo -- who holds the ball longer than most QB -- perceived by the league to have been given an unfair advantage by such calls his first year as a starter, and did the league make a conscious effort to stop flagging these illegal hits on Romo after 2006?

The average team gets a RTP call about once every 5 games. From 2007-12, Romo got 2 calls in 83 games. Was 2013 an attempt by the NFL at a "make-up year" -- a reaction to the previous six seasons? If so, it was only a one-year deal. He's only gotten the call once in his 21 games since.

Roughing the Passer calls, by QB
2006 Romo 4, Bledsoe 1
2007 0
2008 Romo 0, Bollinger 1
2009 Romo 1
2010 Romo 0, Kitna 2
2011 Romo 1
2012 0
2013 Romo 4
2014 Romo 1
2015 Romo 0, Cassel 1, Weeden 1

Remember, Romo holds onto the ball longer than most. If anything, he should have been getting more of these calls than the average QB. Also, Romo owns the 4th quarter. His career Late & Close passer rating is the league's best. The 4th quarter when his team is trailing is the time when Romo is most likely to hold the ball for a big play opportunity, and when his opponents are most likely to tee off.

How many 4th-qtr RTP calls has Romo been the beneficiary of in his career? Zero. And only one in the 3rd quarter.

That's a total of one 2nd-half RTP call in his career. How does that compare to the other five top rated 2nd-half passers since 2006?

2nd-half Roughing the Passer Calls, since 2006
Rodgers 16
Brees 13
Brady 12
Rothlisbrgr 6
PManning 4
Romo 1

Pass Attempts per 2nd-half RTP Call, since 2006
Rodgers every 192 att
Brady every 224 att
Brees every 242 att
Roethlsbrgr every 391 att
PManning every 609 att
Romo every 2,209 att
Pretty telling stats right there. Makes you wonder if the league is against ole JJ. Great post.

JDSmith

Reaction score
When you actually see the numbers to back up our collective perception it's just staggering.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
The only thing Romo has not done the others have - Win a Super Bowl.

What are the numbers on all QB's?
OR
Maybe just by team.
Looking at the 2nd half of games only, here's Romo's career RTP calls, compared to the 2015 2nd-half numbers of some guys who have yet to make a postseason appearance. Keep in mind, this is just 1 season (or less) for each of these guys, vs. 8+ accumulated seasons for Romo.

(2015 only)
Tannehill 3
Carr 3
Mariota 3
Winston 3
Fitzpatrick 2
Bortles 2
Taylor 2
Romo (career) 1

Team numbers here as mentioned in the OP.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
This information needs to be published somewhere and made publicly well known.

Otherwise, nothing will change.

Section446

Reaction score
Brady doesn't surprise me, he's the face of the league, and he's been hurt by a questionable hit before. He's also one of the most verbal players in the league, anytime he takes a hit, he's in yhe refs face.

Edit: Percy, while I appreciate the statistics, can you give me one interesting statistic about a player not named Tony Romo?

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
I agree that it is inexcusable. I just like to try to understand why it is happening rather than crying "Cowboys bias!" There is some reason that officials don't call roughing the same way when it involves Romo. I'm not sure what it is. With other QBs, they can barely be brushed and the official spots it and makes the call. Romo can be plowed after a throw and it's completely ignored.

Maybe the correlation is as simple as the higher-profile QBs get more roughing calls, but I have trouble believing that officials don't know that Romo is a high-profile QB.

To add a little to this gimme, it's pretty obvious that Tony has a good rapport with the referees. He's always conversing with them and I'm sure there is a familiarity with all of them by now. I am watching "All In" on Amazon Prime about a season with the Arizona Cardinals (it's great by the way) and I was surprised how much back and forth there was with Carson Palmer and the referees. There's a casualness and back and forth that is almost a given every game with each ref each game. Heck they know each other's family names.

Which makes Percy's numbers all the more mystifying because it can't be a personal thing with the refs. Maybe it's just he has such escapability that they are surprised when he does take a hit and maybe feel it's a continuing part of the play.

Honestly, I'm fishing but it's darn strange.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Its pretty obvious when looking at that list why Romo is so much different then the other guys. All the other guys up there are pretty much considered top 5 QB in the NFL for most of their careers if not all of their carerrs. They are all darlings of the NFL. Romo has NEVER been in that category.

The data show a clear bias.

However the idea that Romo isn't an NFL darling is just untrue. Cowboys are, when having a solid year, a ratings bonanza in prime time. He is the face if the franchise. The idea that the league doesn't view him as a darling is just illogical. He makes this league a ton of money.

We need a better answer because this conspiracy stuff just doesn't meet any sort of bar for realistic

DFWJC

Reaction score
The data show a clear bias.

However the idea that Romo isn't an NFL darling is just untrue. Cowboys are, when having a solid year, a ratings bonanza in prime time. He is the face if the franchise. The idea that the league doesn't view him as a darling is just illogical. He makes this league a ton of money.

We need a better answer because this conspiracy stuff just doesn't meet any sort of bar for realistic
Just like in the NBA, some players get the star treatment by the refs....and others don't.
Plain and simple.
Imo, Romo clearly does not.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Brady doesn't surprise me, he's the face of the league, and he's been hurt by a questionable hit before. He's also one of the most verbal players in the league, anytime he takes a hit, he's in yhe refs face.

Edit: Percy, while I appreciate the statistics, can you give me one interesting statistic about a player not named Tony Romo?

Your idea of face of the league includes a cheater who finally gave up on covering that fact up...

CCBoy

Reaction score
There are tape reviews and over a long period of time, that involves the entire Ref Union looking the other way. That in other words, is corruption.

Section446

Reaction score
Your idea of face of the league includes a cheater who finally gave up on covering that fact up...
Hey, until the league takes it seriously and actually does something about it, I'd keep cheating too if it'd going to lead to ST's.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Hey, until the league takes it seriously and actually does something about it, I'd keep cheating too if it'd going to lead to ST's.

A lot of things have changed in football...like bottom of the pile injuries and clotheslines...New Orleans was fined and their team changed with bounties...

Section446

Reaction score
A lot of things have changed in football...like bottom of the pile injuries and clotheslines...New Orleans was fined and their team changed with bounties...
Why cares about New Orleans? The NFL hasn't gotten serious about the Patriots when it comes to cheating, I hope they keep doing it.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Why cares about New Orleans? The NFL hasn't gotten serious about the Patriots when it comes to cheating, I hope they keep doing it.

That's as Preppie a response as I've heard in years. One either has integrity, or he is a con.

And a con usually gets convicted and becomes a convict. Ask Hardy and Rolando McClain about being a con...

New England is less than honorable. If you have to win that way...see ya later, Charlie.

Status
Not open for further replies.