Romo and "Roughing the Passer" 2006-15

Status
Not open for further replies.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
There comes a point where it's impossible to deny that it's bias. It's not anti-Cowboys bias, but there's no way protecting Romo is not a topic of discussion before every game, and it still gets ignored too often. There's some reason why they're calling it so unevenly.

I'd agree there's probably a reason why it happens, but it can't be a good one. It's not like RTP is a difficult call to get right, and it's not like there's not a ref watching the QB on every single play.

Yes, that's why I don't believe it's intentional bias. I believe there is something that leads to officials not watching Romo the same way that they watch other QBs. I don't know what it is, but I do blame the Cowboys coaching staff over the years for not giving officials an earful every time it happens.

gimmesix

Reaction score
This data below (from PFF) looks only at the penalties that were assessed (declined penalties not included), but it gives you a good idea that the most mobile QB typically get the most RTP calls. This is pass attempts per RTP penalty, since 2009

Newton, Car 161
Wilson, Sea 248
Rodgers, GB 253
Brees, NO 333
Brady, NE 555

Thanks, Percy. I thought maybe the officials tended to be more hands off with most QBs who are mobile but that doesn't appear to be the case. I honestly do not know why Romo doesn't get those calls, especially when they are obvious.

gimmesix

Reaction score
It's inexcusable and the nonsense is applicable for not protecting all quarterbacks--not just Romo. From NFL.com's Officials' Responsibilities & Positions:

Referee

Position: Offensive backfield 10-12 yards behind the line of scrimmage

<snip>

Pass Plays

• Shadows quarterback from drop to release
<snip>
  • Turns attention solely to quarterbacks as defense approaches
  • Watches for roughing the passer

Officials' Responsibilities & Positions | NFL Football Operations

Forget about the other six refs on the field. They don't matter. ONE ref's primary duty is observing the quarterback during every pass play. And the "no-call because he isn't a top so-and-so" is as weak in the NFL as it is in the NBA, MLB, or any other sport that can be named.

No the ref is watching Romo, just like he watches every quarterback. Each one should be questioned after every game involving any quarterback getting hit illegally. Call foul every time (in other words, do your job) or never call the foul. Some of these referees should man up and stop taking the cowardly way out.

I agree that it is inexcusable. I just like to try to understand why it is happening rather than crying "Cowboys bias!" There is some reason that officials don't call roughing the same way when it involves Romo. I'm not sure what it is. With other QBs, they can barely be brushed and the official spots it and makes the call. Romo can be plowed after a throw and it's completely ignored.

Maybe the correlation is as simple as the higher-profile QBs get more roughing calls, but I have trouble believing that officials don't know that Romo is a high-profile QB.

aikemirv

Reaction score
I agree that it is inexcusable. I just like to try to understand why it is happening rather than crying "Cowboys bias!" There is some reason that officials don't call roughing the same way when it involves Romo. I'm not sure what it is. With other QBs, they can barely be brushed and the official spots it and makes the call. Romo can be plowed after a throw and it's completely ignored.

Maybe the correlation is as simple as the higher-profile QBs get more roughing calls, but I have trouble believing that officials don't know that Romo is a high-profile QB.

It's Cowboy bias - just accept it and move on. There is no need denying it. People either love or hate Dallas. That is the way it is. There is no other team in the NFL that people hate as much. That goes for referees as well.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

There may be a number of explanations as varied as there are referees. I don't know what any one answer may be necessarily but I would not automatically dismiss bias as the basis of one or more non-calls. Officials are neither perfect nor faultless.

CCBoy

Reaction score
The next indicator is the number of very tough injuries that Tony has had to endure...for no other reason, than being a Cowboy.

Prejudice that rises similar to Hall of Fame..

gimmesix

Reaction score
There may be a number of explanations as varied as there are referees. I don't know what any one answer may be necessarily but I would not automatically dismiss bias as the basis of one or more non-calls. Officials are neither perfect nor faultless.

I agree that the explanations could be many and that some degree of bias could be involved, but it's hard for me to chalk it up simply as bias. It takes a special kind of conspiracy theorist to believe all of the NFL officials are out to get Dallas.

All we know is for some reason roughing is not called anywhere near as much when it comes to Romo as it is with other QBs. If I were a sports writer in Dallas, I would take these numbers and ask officials until I get an answer for the discrepancy.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree that the explanations could be many and that some degree of bias could be involved, but it's hard for me to chalk it up simply as bias. It takes a special kind of conspiracy theorist to believe all of the NFL officials are out to get Dallas.

All we know is for some reason roughing is not called anywhere near as much when it comes to Romo as it is with other QBs. If I were a sports writer in Dallas, I would take these numbers and ask officials until I get an answer for the discrepancy.
THAT would involve actual investigative reporting--something surely lacking in the media following the franchise.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
At this point I expect Romo to get penalized for roughing the passer before someone gets a flag for hitting Tony.

Roughing the Rusher ........ 15 yard penalty ....... number 9 is thrown out of game for headbutting the pass rushers fist.

First Down!

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Full Definition of Blandinoed
  1. transitive verb
  2. 1: to deprive a specific NFL team of something it has earned by the use of deceit or fraud. To turn the other way when the specific team you wish to lose has their QB hit late. <The QB was clubbed around the head and neck area but the ref Blandinoed him and did nothing.>

3. 2: to influence or lead NFL Officials by deceit, trick, or artifice

4. 3: to thwart an NFL team by deceit or lying <He just Blandinoed the hell out of Belichick's team>

5. intransitive verb
  6. 1a : to practice fraud or trickeryb : to violate NFL rules dishonestly <That blackjack dealer just Blandinoed me> <I landinoed my Math teacher because I already had the answers>

7. 2: to be sexually undesireable — <She was getting hot and bothered... but he Blandinoed her and she went home.>

Status
Not open for further replies.