Romo and "Roughing the Passer" 2006-15

Status
Not open for further replies.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
Yup ........ and the Cowboys just let that zing pass.
You don't know that. Teams often send/say things to the league front office that isn't made public. In fact, most of it doesn't become public, which is as it should be. I know we, as fans, would like to be aware of all that stuff, but teams don't usually air their/the league's dirty laundry in public.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
but teams don't usually air their/the league's dirty laundry in public.

The league publicly took a shot at the Cowboys ........ all the Boys did was show how weak they are as an organization to laugh it off.

Again ........ Jerry cares more about making money than team pride.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
The league took a shot at the Cowboys ........ all the Boys did was show how weak they are as an organization to laugh it off.

Again ........ Jerry cares more about making money than team pride.
Again, you don't know that the Cowboys "laughed it off". Neither you nor I have any idea what was or wasn't said.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Again, you don't know that the Cowboys "laughed it off". Neither you nor I have any idea what was or wasn't said.

It was not said publicly which is where the league started the fight. Saying stuff behind closed doors means nothing when the league just made fun of the organization.

Thats like a bully slapping you around in front of the school, and then you calling him at home later on to complain.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Yeah, that was horrible. Wasn't it at the knees too? The Brady rule...dude has a specific rule protecting qb.s named after him

It's not every game, but it's every couple where I see Tony take a hit and I think if that's Brady or Rodgers, he's getting the call.
It was directly to his back and with his helmet/shoulder. Tony glared at the ref but had to hurry because we were in no huddle. In these pics it's hard to believe how far the player, a&m rookie I think,is from him when the ball is gone. He's really not even running. https://www.google.com/search?q=gif+of+romo+late+hit+giants&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Ill stick by my theory that he isnt one of the darling QB's in the NFL's eyes. For many many years he was unfairly considered a choker by media, fans, and players around the NFL. And you cant tell me the NFL has any love for that fantasy football convention he keeps doing that they keep going out of their way to stomp on.

I also dont necessarily believe in conspiracy theories like that. The stats are definitely ridiculous, but I have a feeling that other QB's that arent darlings have similar stats. I would love to see the entire list.

Brady, Manning, Brees, those guys definitely get coddles by the NFL and the refs, I have watched it during games. They get remotely touched and it gets called.

Percy already posted that earlier in the thread. Even the young nobody qbs Tannehill Bridgewater, Winston, Bortles all had more RTP calls than Romo. Think about how tragic that is when you remember that Romo has been in the league over 3× as long as most of them.
Pg 4 post 68

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Its pretty obvious to me. As you go up in status you generally see more calls.

From the initial cherry picked list, I saw a bunch of guys with rings...and Romo.

Perhaps this league believes you gotta earn the respect
Read more carefully guys.

As stated in the OP, the "initial list" is the top 6 rated passers in the 2nd half over that time period (all 6, no "cherry-picking"), so it would make sense that most of them have rings. I also provided a link to the rankings of all 32 teams every season since 2009 in the OP. In those rankings, Dallas is 30th in RTP calls per attempt, and we know several of those calls didn't involve Romo anyway. Later I posted another list of QB with no playoff experience who played significant time last year.

If you -- or anybody else -- has five other names you want me to look up for you, I'll be glad to do it. You can use that team list as a starting point.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

As stated in the OP, the "initial list" is the top 6 rated passers in the 2nd half over that time period (all 6, no "cherry-picking"), so it would make sense that most of them have rings. I also provided a link to the rankings of all 32 teams every season since 2009 in the OP. In those rankings, Dallas is 30th in RTP calls per attempt, and we know several of those calls didn't involve Romo anyway. Later I posted another list of QB with no playoff experience who played significant time last year.

If you -- or anybody else -- has five other names you want me to look up for you, I'll be glad to do it. You can use that team list as a starting point.

I don't know how you do all that great work and then stay so patient with the replies. I'd be punching walls.

CCBoy

Reaction score
So many want to cherry pick an excuse to have a foul mood...sorry Percy. They should do some of the work, if they are just going to go to an agenda upon rationalizing.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I don't know how you do all that great work and then stay so patient with the replies. I'd be punching walls.

I'd probably be biting heads off and peeing down the nubs...:)

First reaction as an old NCO.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Just looking at the team rankings and adding up the 7 seasons, you can tell it's not about respect for rings.

Most RTP calls since 2009
Buffalo 32
Carolina 29
Chicago 28
Philly 25
Washington 24
Tennessee 24

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Percy already posted that earlier in the thread. Even the young nobody qbs Tannehill Bridgewater, Winston, Bortles all had more RTP calls than Romo. Think about how tragic that is when you remember that Romo has been in the league over 3× as long as most of them.
Pg 4 post 68

Curious indeed, but I dont believe in conspiracy theories like this. Im not buying that the league or officials are talking together telling each other to not call it on Tony Romo.

And another curious element. Why is this from 2006? How many QB's have really been the starting QB for one team since 2006? It has to be a short list.

Can you find those same numbers for the last 3 years and lets look at them?

Last edited:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Just curious but why is it limited to the "2nd half" of games? Did the first half of games not bear fruit on the theory?

I have to admit that the stats do wreak of a bias, but I am not buying the conspiracy thing.

lurkercowboy

Reaction score
Is there a way to tell how many defenders (if any) were later fined for hitting Romo where no penalty was called?

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Just curious but why is it limited to the "2nd half" of games? Did the first half of games not bear fruit on the theory?

I don't get the parsing of the stats to differentiate between 2nd half and 4th quarter (etc.) RTPs?

The only meaningful stat should be whether the foul is being called or not. When you parse the stats you're making an insinuation (baseless without actual evidence) that calls aren't being made at certain times of the game when they should.
Romo has received a disproportionately low number of RTP calls over his career since the beginning of his second season as a starter. And within that, he has gotten an even lower number of calls in the 2nd half (one), and especially the 4th quarter (zero). Maybe you can explain why you think one of those things is meaningful and the other not (even ignoring the fact that Romo is better in the 2nd half, and especially the 4th quarter).

You can look at the entire game and still get the picture (2 calls in 83 games), but it's also completely valid to point out that the call hasn't been made evenly in Romo's case with regard to the quarter or half in which it was made. In fact, given the fact that Romo is the league's highest-rated passer in the 4th qtr or OT, it would have been careless of me to ignore the fact that he has never gotten the call in the 4th qtr or OT, and the analysis would have been incomplete.

Last year, league-wide, RTP was called once every 195 attempts in the first 3 quarters and every 150 attempts in the 4th qtr or OT. That means it was more common to get the call in the 4th qtr or OT -- not less.

From 2007-12, RTP was called for Romo once every 1,174 attempts in the first 3 quarters and never in his 851 attempts in the 4th qtr or OT.

If you specifically want to be less specific...

Last year, league-wide, RTP was called once every 179 attempts. About every 5 games for each QB.

From 2007-12, RTP was called for Romo once every 1,573 attempts. About every 44 games.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Why is this from 2006? How many QB's have really been the starting QB for one team since 2006? It has to be a short list.

Can you find those same numbers for the last 3 years and lets look at them?
I don't understand what you're saying here, but you can add up the last 3 seasons from the yearly rankings at nflpenalties.com

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Romo has received a disproportionately low number of RTP calls over his career since the beginning of his second season as a starter. And within that, he has gotten an even lower number of calls in the 2nd half (one), and especially the 4th quarter (zero). Maybe you can explain why you think one of those things is meaningful and the other not (even ignoring the fact that Romo is better in the 2nd half, and especially the 4th quarter).

You can look at the entire game and still get the picture (2 calls in 83 games), but it's also completely valid to point out that the call hasn't been made evenly in Romo's case with regard to the quarter or half in which it was made. In fact, given the fact that Romo is the league's highest-rated passer in the 4th qtr or OT, it would have been careless of me to ignore the fact that he has never gotten the call in the 4th qtr or OT, and the analysis would have been incomplete.

Last year, league-wide, RTP was called once every 195 attempts in the first 3 quarters and every 150 attempts in the 4th qtr or OT. That means it was more common to get the call in the 4th qtr or OT -- not less.

From 2007-12, RTP was called for Romo once every 1,174 attempts in the first 3 quarters and never in his 851 attempts in the 4th qtr or OT.

If you specifically want to be less specific...

Last year, league-wide, RTP was called once every 179 attempts. About every 5 games for each QB.

From 2007-12, RTP was called for Romo once every 1,573 attempts. About every 44 games.

No, it would be careless to assume he's (Romo) not getting RTPs in the second half or 4th quarter due to some nefarious reason. There's no nexus between RTP calls and when they are called; Romo's 4th QTR passing prowess has nothing to do with he was actually involved in plays where a defender hit him low/late/et cetera during that specific time frame in the game.

The real story is he's not getting many calls at all. That's legit. However, you would also expect that w/the limited amount of calls he has gottenfor them not to be evenly distributed. The sample size (RTPs) is simply too small to draw any inference.

That's just a standard principal of statistical analysis.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
No, it would be careless to assume he's (Romo) not getting RTPs in the second half or 4th quarter due to some nefarious reason. There's no nexus between RTP calls and when they are called; Romo's 4th QTR passing prowess has nothing to do with he was involved in plays where a defender hit him low/late/et cetera.

The real story is he's not getting many calls at all. That's legit. However, you would also expect that w/the limited amount of calls he has gotten to not be evenly distributed. The sample size (RTPs) is too small to draw an inference.
So, you think Romo's low number of RTP calls overall is a "real story," but his zero RTP calls in the 4th quarter over 8+ seasons is no story at all.

Because statistics.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Holy Crap!

I knew it was bad but this stat is unbelievable!

It's friggin criminal. And I don't use that word likely.
The non-calls should be an embarrassment for referees.
I call for oversight committee on referees.

"Why did you call it for Brady when the index finger hit his helmet .... And not call it for Romo when there was a full hit to the head with hand and firearm"

GUILTY!

Status
Not open for further replies.