Romo and "Roughing the Passer" 2006-15

Status
Not open for further replies.

rynochop

Reaction score
Anyone have a few years of games saved and want to spend a weekend watching 2nd halves of games that Tony's been in? Report your findings

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
A slight correction to the OP, I had said Romo's total of one 2nd-half RTP call was "for his career," but it is actually "since 2007." (He had one other in 2006, his first season, that I mistakenly counted as a 1st-half penalty).

2nd-half Roughing the Passer Calls, since 2007

Rodgers 16
Brees 13
Brady 11
Rothlsbrgr 5
PManning 3
Romo 1

Pass Attempts per 2nd-half RTP Call, since 2007
Rodgers every 192 att
Brees every 235 att
Brady every 255 att
Rothlsbrgr every 457 att
PManning every 815 att
Romo every 2,096 att

It doesn't make any real difference to the overall picture, but it's important to be accurate nonetheless.

CCBoy

Reaction score
A slight correction to the OP, I had said Romo's total of one 2nd-half RTP call was "for his career," but it is actually "since 2007." (He had one other in 2006, his first season, that I mistakenly counted as a 1st-half penalty).

Rodgers 16
Brees 13
Brady 11
Rothlsbrgr 5
PManning 3
Romo 1

Rodgers every 192 att
Brees every 235 att
Brady every 255 att
Rothlsbrgr every 457 att
PManning every 815 att
Romo every 2,096 att

It doesn't make any real difference to the overall picture, but it's important to be accurate nonetheless.

Thanks, Percy...there are enough $3 bills running around on site.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I don't get the parsing of the stats to differentiate between 2nd half and 4th quarter (etc.) RTPs?

The only meaningful stay should be whether the foul is being called or not. When you parse the stats you're making an insinuation (baseless without actual evidence) that calls aren't being made at certain times of the game when they should.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Pretty telling stats right there. Makes you wonder if the league is against ole JJ. Great post.

Like I've noted, there is no way the revenue-sharing league is anti-J.J. Jones may not be a great GM, but few in this league would deny his tremendous positive influence on earnings.

People seem to think the league wants Dallas to fail. Fact is, the league makes far more money when Dallas is playing well. Huge primetime ratings, playoff games with huge viewing numbers, lots of free press and coverage, the list goes on and on.

Teams like Tampa Bay or Jax who will never be a huge draw are the ones you can make that argument for.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Just like in the NBA, some players get the star treatment by the refs....and others don't.
Plain and simple.
Imo, Romo clearly does not.

From the initial cherry picked list, I saw a bunch of guys with rings...and Romo.

Perhaps this league believes you gotta earn the respect

adamknite

Reaction score
From the initial cherry picked list, I saw a bunch of guys with rings...and Romo.

Perhaps this league believes you gotta earn the respect

If that were true, it's just as wrong as if the refs were actively not calling it just because he's a Cowboy. You shouldn't have to earn the right to be protected by the rules the league set in place. There are rules to specifically make everything a fair playing field... this would go completely against the concept of having rules, just the same.

EDIT: made it a little more clear what I was trying to say.

Last edited:

DandyDon52

Reaction score
so do you think all officials dislike tony ?? they all want to see him get hit?? they all dont like the cowboys??
Could it be tony actually gets hit less times than these other qb's?
What is actually needed is number of times hit after throwing the ball, and no record is kept of this.

The one stat that is telling is no rtp calls for tony in 2nd half, that is odd.
But I would still wonder why all refs would be against tony.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
Like I've noted, there is no way the revenue-sharing league is anti-J.J. Jones may not be a great GM, but few in this league would deny his tremendous positive influence on earnings.

People seem to think the league wants Dallas to fail. Fact is, the league makes far more money when Dallas is playing well. Huge primetime ratings, playoff games with huge viewing numbers, lots of free press and coverage, the list goes on and on.

Teams like Tampa Bay or Jax who will never be a huge draw are the ones you can make that argument for.
I understand all that but how do you explain the obvious of this thread? There has to be a reason let alone all the "side" rules that have been created from cowboys players.

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
Why doesn't Garrett ever voice this type of stuff? For a supposedly smart political type guy he has no lean to him. Just a straight arrow

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Just goes to show how fat boys get no respect. Let's just hope some of that new Romo fat is padding his collerbone.

Section446

Reaction score
That's as Preppie a response as I've heard in years. One either has integrity, or he is a con.

And a con usually gets convicted and becomes a convict. Ask Hardy and Rolando McClain about being a con...

New England is less than honorable. If you have to win that way...see ya later, Charlie.
Again, it works wonders for them, and they've won multiple championships because of it. Meanwhile, the NFL has done virtually nothing to stop them from doing it, I say bravo to them for continuing to do it and win titles while doing it. Until the NFL gets serious about stopping them from cheating, I hope that they keep doing it. It's borderline comical that you're trying to play this "holier than thou" character right now when we have a long history of being one of the most vile franchises in the history of this great league.

Zordon

Reaction score
This is Garrett and Jerruh. One is too focused on making money and the other one is too focused on kissing *** to keep his job. If Parcells was in control during those years, I guarantee you officials would think twice about screwing us.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
It's a joke. It has to be. The hit on Romo on the last drive against the against the Giants was unexplainably poor.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
To add a little to this gimme, it's pretty obvious that Tony has a good rapport with the referees. He's always conversing with them and I'm sure there is a familiarity with all of them by now. I am watching "All In" on Amazon Prime about a season with the Arizona Cardinals (it's great by the way) and I was surprised how much back and forth there was with Carson Palmer and the referees. There's a casualness and back and forth that is almost a given every game with each ref each game. Heck they know each other's family names.

Which makes Percy's numbers all the more mystifying because it can't be a personal thing with the refs. Maybe it's just he has such escapability that they are surprised when he does take a hit and maybe feel it's a continuing part of the play.

Honestly, I'm fishing but it's darn strange.

I've got to believe it has something to do with his escapability, too, but CCBoy brings up a good point. If the officiating crews and NFL office analyze each game after they are called, then they have to also be overlooking roughing calls then. It just doesn't make sense to me.

I still fault the coaching staff because they should be stumping for Romo after any game where he gets hit late or illegally. Now, maybe they are doing that — maybe they are sending in evidence of Romo not getting those calls — but I have a hard time believing they are because they do not complain about them during the games. Romo himself also has done a poor job of getting officials' attention when he is hit late or illegally.

I go back to the game I was watching where the defender lowered his head and slammed his helmet into Romo's, knocking him loopy. The broadcast booth was pointing out how it should have been a penalty, but I didn't see anyone for Dallas get on the refs about that. In Romo's defense, he probably didn't know what hit him, but the replay should have had the coaches in an uproar. Then, if they didn't see it at that point, they should have caught it on film and sent a complaint to the New York office.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The data show a clear bias.

However the idea that Romo isn't an NFL darling is just untrue. Cowboys are, when having a solid year, a ratings bonanza in prime time. He is the face if the franchise. The idea that the league doesn't view him as a darling is just illogical. He makes this league a ton of money.

We need a better answer because this conspiracy stuff just doesn't meet any sort of bar for realistic

Ill stick by my theory that he isnt one of the darling QB's in the NFL's eyes. For many many years he was unfairly considered a choker by media, fans, and players around the NFL. And you cant tell me the NFL has any love for that fantasy football convention he keeps doing that they keep going out of their way to stomp on.

I also dont necessarily believe in conspiracy theories like that. The stats are definitely ridiculous, but I have a feeling that other QB's that arent darlings have similar stats. I would love to see the entire list.

Brady, Manning, Brees, those guys definitely get coddles by the NFL and the refs, I have watched it during games. They get remotely touched and it gets called.

rynochop

Reaction score
It's a joke. It has to be. The hit on Romo on the last drive against the against the Giants was unexplainably poor.

Yeah, that was horrible. Wasn't it at the knees too? The Brady rule...dude has a specific rule protecting qb.s named after him

It's not every game, but it's every couple where I see Tony take a hit and I think if that's Brady or Rodgers, he's getting the call.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Rodgers 16
Brees 13
Brady 11
Rothlsbrgr 5
PManning 3
Romo 1

Rodgers every 192 att
Brees every 235 att
Brady every 255 att
Rothlsbrgr every 457 att
PManning every 815 att
Romo every 2,096 att

Its pretty obvious to me. As you go up in status you generally see more calls. Is it fair? No.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
It has been pretty ridiculous.

The game in arizona in 2011 when he got pulled down by his facemask right in front of the official walt anderson still bugs me. He got up and asked him why there was no penalty and anderson just put his hand up and walked away. It was third down.

I think that was 2011 anyway. It has been a regular occurrence with Romo though.

Status
Not open for further replies.