Romo clutch this year

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Coy;4909578 said:
Pete Prisco from CBS just tweeted this.

Tony Romo is playing his ... off -- and nobody is noticing.

I think people notice. They just don't want to leave their "Romo is just a choker" label.

I think it's pretty clear that Romo is playing a more mature game and playing lights out.

perrykemp

Reaction score
tyke1doe;4909678 said:
I think people notice. They just don't want to leave their "Romo is just a choker" label.

I think it's pretty clear that Romo is playing a more mature game and playing lights out.

I don't think anybody outside of Dallas will notice or care until Romo has success in the playoffs.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
GusTheo;4909553 said:
I am on record as saying that Eli's throw to Manningham was a PERFECT throw. I never, not once ever stated it to be lucky, I said the fact that Kyle Williams muffed 2 punts deep in his zone directly effected the outcome to the game and the pending Giants Super Bowl. Yet my reading comprehension skills need work.

Yes your reading comprehension skills do need work because I never accused you of saying Eli's pass to Manningham was luck I ASKED if you thought it was luck. :cool: Luck will only carry you so far eventually it will run out. William's muffed punts had an effect on the game as did many other plays by both SF and NY. Regardless it took mistake free football by Eli and OT for the Giants to win that game. All you're doing is deflecting the credit that Eli and the Giants deserve for winning that game and chalking it up to luck. The Giants and Eli have endured many a bad break during both their SB winning seasons but they've been able to overcome them.

GusTheo;4909553 said:
And I love that you brought up the Tyree catch, it's the play I always bring up in the Romo-Eli debates. Eli made an amazing play by escaping a rush, keeping the play alive (Being Romo-esque if you think about it) and threw up a prayer. If Tyree doesn't pin the ball to his helmet, or if Harrison makes a play on the ball (Both very distinct possible outcomes on the play given the curcumstances) then Eli doesn't have a Super Bowl and MVP to his name. It wouldn't have changed what Eli had to do to keep the play alive, but at the end of the day he had someone help him by making a play (Tyree) while Romo continuously has people let him down (Crayton)

If you're always bringing up the Tyree play in all your Romo/Eli debates you're going to lose all of them. That was the greatest play in SB history you're not going to score any points for Romo bringing up a play that led to a SB win for Eli and countering with Romo's drive against Seattle which led to him bobbling a hold for a FG attempt that helped cost the Cowboys that game. :laugh2: Eli is 8-3 in the playoffs including 2 SB wins and 2 SB MVP awards and apologists like you attempt to trump that by throwing Romo's career passer rating in everyones face. lol Again you continue apologizing for Romo.

GusTheo;4909553 said:
Every QB needs to get lucky along the way, it's not possible to win the Super Bowl without getting lucky at some point. Romo has gotten lucky plenty, he had 2 INTs dropped in the Cincy game! I never said he hasn't gotten lucky. Again, comprehension.

Montana, Bradshaw, Aikman, Staubach all won multiple SB's because they were great QB's not lucky QB's. Luck is a "fluke" not a common occurrence. Every QB has a lucky play the greatest play in Roger Staubach's career was a Hail Mary and the greatest play in Terry Bradshaw's career was an immaculate reception but no QB can build a HOF career and win multiple championships off of lucky plays. Neither of those incredibly lucky plays by Staubach and Bradshaw led to a championship those years. A football has too odd a shape to bounce your way all the time. As for the Cincy game a couple of weeks ago Romo had 3 int's dropped 2 by Newman and one by Nate Clements. Again DO YOUR HOMEWORK! If all 3 weren't dropped the Cowboys would have lost and the 2012 season would be in the toilet right now.

GusTheo;4909553 said:
I blame Romo when it's justified, problem is it isn't always justified, and not nearly as much as some would lead you to believe!

From reading your comments throughout this discussion it doesn't appear it's ever justified in your eyes to blame Romo. All you've been doing is apologizing for mistakes that he was directly responsible for.

burmafrd

Reaction score
KJJ says that the helmet play was the greatest play in SB history

that pretty much tells you all you need to know

He will NEVER give Romo credit - EVER

anyone who thinks that that play was more Manning then Tyree is all wet.

Manning threw up a PRAYER. Anyone claiming otherwise is full of crap

giving ANY QB credit or blame for what happens after throwing up a prayer is BS.

ufcrules1

Reaction score
Lets revisit the Manning to Tyree pass shall we. Tyree made a circus catch but how can people not give Eli credit there? Eli had a TON of pressure on him and he still kept his composure, escaped, set his feet, and then threw the ball.

[youtube]27XeNefwABw[/youtube]

aikemirv

Reaction score
ufcrules1;4909813 said:
Lets revisit the Manning to Tyree pass shall we. Tyree made a circus catch but how can people not give Eli credit there? Eli had a TON of pressure on him and he still kept his composure, escaped, set his feet, and then threw the ball.

[youtube]27XeNefwABw[/youtube]

Let revisit a couple plays before...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K36wgL4VLHM

All the QB can do is throw the ball, whatever happens after that is not up to him and the players that make or miss the play have nothing to do with him or his performance.

Bad throws are bad throws and good throws are good ones. You judge the QB on what happened on the other side, I would judge them by whether they made the right decision and put it in the right spot in clutch time.

On the Tyree catch Eli made a great escape and put the ball in a spot the WR could catch it - It was an excellent play on his part. The play before the DB had an int on a terrible throw that should have lost the game for the Giants but as fate would have it Samuel dropped the ball.

Trendnet

Reaction score
aikemirv;4909850 said:
On the Tyree catch Eli made a great escape and put the ball in a spot the WR could catch it - It was an excellent play on his part. The play before the DB had an int on a terrible throw that should have lost the game for the Giants but as fate would have it Samuel dropped the ball.

Dropped interceptions only count against Romo. See KJJ's post above.

Wood

Reaction score
nothing matters up until the Commanders game. Romo has had good 'regular' season in past. If Romo is reason this team doesn't advance in next few weeks then I hope some of you have bunkers built because it will be fire storm of Romo hate. You guys can write books on how good Romo is....nobody is buying it. There is only one way Romo can change public perception and that is by winning late in the year AND into the playoffs. Something feels different this year as the team is jelling...but we still need to see Romo do it.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Wood;4909894 said:
nothing matters up until the Commanders game. Romo has had good 'regular' season in past. If Romo is reason this team doesn't advance in next few weeks then I hope some of you have bunkers built because it will be fire storm of Romo hate. You guys can write books on how good Romo is....nobody is buying it. There is only one way Romo can change public perception and that is by winning late in the year AND into the playoffs. Something feels different this year as the team is jelling...but we still need to see Romo do it.

Que video of Snoopy playing table tennis.

Romo must do it all. I sure hope his blocking is up to snuff this year of we make it to the playoffs!;)

Because in past playoffs his blocking has sucked!!! Romo needs to get that stuff straight!

ufcrules1

Reaction score
aikemirv;4909850 said:

All the QB can do is throw the ball, whatever happens after that is not up to him and the players that make or miss the play have nothing to do with him or his performance.

Bad throws are bad throws and good throws are good ones. You judge the QB on what happened on the other side, I would judge them by whether they made the right decision and put it in the right spot in clutch time.

The difference is your example is hypothetical and what the DB "should" have done and my example actually happened. At the end of the day, what is important is what actually happened.

To say Eli didn't play a role in the miracle catch by Tyree just isn't true. He made an outstanding play to even get off the throw in the first place.

DFWJC

Reaction score
aikemirv;4909850 said:

He was in the grasp.
Play should have been whistled dead. :cool:

People also forget that in three other years, Eli had horrific postseasons that ended in "one and done".
As I've said before, you usually need a larger sample size to see how someone really is in the postseason. It worked out well in the end for Eli, becasue he got enough chances. hat's off to him.

aikemirv

Reaction score
ufcrules1;4909917 said:
The difference is your example is hypothetical and what the DB "should" have done and my example actually happened. At the end of the day, what is important is what actually happened.

To say Eli didn't play a role in the miracle catch by Tyree just isn't true. He made an outstanding play to even get off the throw in the first place.

See, thats where you are wrong. He did actually throw a terrible pass - like I said Eli has no part in what happens after it leaves his hands.

Wood

Reaction score
aikemirv;4909911 said:
Que video of Snoopy playing table tennis.

Romo must do it all. I sure hope his blocking is up to snuff this year of we make it to the playoffs!;)

Because in past playoffs his blocking has sucked!!! Romo needs to get that stuff straight!

he is not doing it himself. Dez is breaking out. Witten might be having his best year ever. And bunch of guys in street cloths few weeks ago are holding things down on defense. Romo has been playing well but once again this comes down to him leading this group into playoffs and then making some noise in playoffs.

ufcrules1

Reaction score
aikemirv;4909936 said:
See, thats where you are wrong. He did actually throw a terrible pass - like I said Eli has no part in what happens after it leaves his hands.

My point was he got it off in the first place. If he didn't.. then there would be zero chance at a miracle catch. It was a miracle he even got the pass off in the first place.

ufcrules1

Reaction score
Wood;4909940 said:
Romo has been playing well but once again this comes down to him leading this group into playoffs and then making some noise in playoffs.

Bingo...:bow:

aikemirv

Reaction score
ufcrules1;4910017 said:
My point was he got it off in the first place. If he didn't.. then there would be zero chance at a miracle catch. It was a miracle he even got the pass off in the first place.

I think you need to read my post again.....

On the Tyree catch Eli made a great escape and put the ball in a spot the WR could catch it - It was an excellent play on his part.

RomoIzDaMan

Reaction score
for two consecutive DecembersRomo has had a QBR of over 100.Last year the secondary gave up late 4th Q leads.4loses could be blamed for that.Diff this year is the D is keeping us in the game later allowing tony to work his magic of

Anybody who thinks the Vikings playoff loss was a Romo failure simply is just eing a hater.Tony was being sacked as soon as the ball was hiked.The entire o-line played like losers

ufcrules1

Reaction score
aikemirv;4910064 said:
I think you need to read my post again.....

On the Tyree catch Eli made a great escape and put the ball in a spot the WR could catch it - It was an excellent play on his part.

I wasn't addressing you, I was addressing another poster when I originally posted that video that you responded to. There are plenty of people here who think Eli had nothing to do with that play when in fact he did an amazing job getting the ball off.

The play before that Samuel tried to intercept and toe tap the sideline is of no relevance since it was nothing more than a hypothetical trying to put Eli down.

Eli earned the superbowl MVP that game and earned it last year. Remember this throw with a little over 3 minutes left in the game last year? Biggest possible stage with a ton of pressure at their own 5 yard line and Eli delivers like a surgeon. Eli excels at the biggest stage... I'm hoping Romo can do the same.

[youtube]o9no5Z5COy0[/youtube]

Kevinicus

Reaction score
And Romo threw a perfect pass to Crayton too. Comparing Romo and Eli is absurdly stupid, why is it still going on here? Romo is unquestionably (by the sound of mind) the superior QB. Time to move on.