Romo Commentary

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
I think it definitely helps Romo having the best in the business Jim Nantz steering the ship. Losing Nantz to retirement after the season is a huge loss for CBS.

plasticman

Reaction score
(sarcasm alert!).

For some reason, I tend to enjoy and agree with he announces that always have something positive to say about the Cowboys. I can't explain it, but I am really annoyed by the announcers that are critical of a player on the Cowboys....especially when they are losing. It's like rubbing it in

Does anybody else feel the same way?

BigBlacKahuna

22Cowboys21
Reaction score
Yeah, Troy annoys me when he’s calling our games. I feel like he tries too hard not to sound like he likes the Cowboys or something. Tony to me just sounds like he loves calling games and can read what’s going on and conveys that to the viewer. Troy just seems salty at us all the time.

triplets_93

Reaction score
Yeah, Troy annoys me when he’s calling our games. I feel like he tries too hard not to sound like he likes the Cowboys or something. Tony to me just sounds like he loves calling games and can read what’s going on and conveys that to the viewer. Troy just seems salty at us all the time.
Troy tries too hard to sound as if he's not biased. He's done it for years, and I don't buy it. I'd rather listen to Troy call another game.

triplets_93

Reaction score
Romo (and this is without bias) is one of the most knowledgeable commentary announcers in the world in NFL history. He often knows, or has educated guesses on what's going to happen or what should happen on a high percentage of offensive plays. It would not surprise me if he's not an OC somewhere someday.
Univ. of Colorado ?? :p

triplets_93

Reaction score
NFL fans have praised Jim Nantz for his call after DaRon Bland made history on Thanksgiving - but then turned their ire on Tony Romo.

Nantz roared on commentary: "There it is! This is history! If Bland can take it the distance, this will be the record.

"Bland for the fifth time has a pick-six. That’s never happened in the history of the NFL!"

Viewers at home watching with their turkey dinners loved Nantz's call, with one describing it as "iconic."

But Romo was criticized by some for "ruining" the moment - as he instantly began talking over the celebrations.

But Romo sees his job as to never let there be one second of dead air on the broadcast!!!

https://www.the-sun.com/sport/9705215/tony-romo-thanksgiving-jim-nantz-daron-bland/

Staubacher

Reaction score
NFL fans have praised Jim Nantz for his call after DaRon Bland made history on Thanksgiving - but then turned their ire on Tony Romo.

Nantz roared on commentary: "There it is! This is history! If Bland can take it the distance, this will be the record.

"Bland for the fifth time has a pick-six. That’s never happened in the history of the NFL!"

Viewers at home watching with their turkey dinners loved Nantz's call, with one describing it as "iconic."

But Romo was criticized by some for "ruining" the moment - as he instantly began talking over the celebrations.

But Romo sees his job as to never let there be one second of dead air on the broadcast!!!

https://www.the-sun.com/sport/9705215/tony-romo-thanksgiving-jim-nantz-daron-bland/
The US Sun lol
Great source

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
I liked Romos commentary. I mean he said "they can win the Superbowl" a couple of times too many but other than that it was absolutely fine.

But what happened to his voice? Was it always "scratchy" like that? He sounds like he's had too many Whiskeys the night before.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I thought he was awful.
Couldn’t agree more. He’s the least prepared broadcaster in the booth. I don’t like Romo as a broadcaster because from what I’ve read, he does the absolute minimum to prepare for a broadcast. He was somewhat fun at first “predicting” plays but that schtick has worn off in my view.

In the 3rd quarter Thursday, Romo made an embarrassing comment for a broadcaster, “Uh Number 34 makes the play”, clearly not knowing who the Washington player was. (It was CB Christian Holmes)

Regarding Troy- I always prefer sports broadcasters who are neutral. If one team makes a great play, praise them for it. If they make a bad one, call them out for it. Professional broadcasters are not supposed to be cheerleaders for any team.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I couldn't agree more. What he said should have been said off mic.

Underrated QB. Overrated commentator.

Kwyn

Reaction score
Correct Brett Maher didn't get this excuse he was a 90% kicker the only ones he missed were outside of 55 yards last year, but his struggles were with the point after attempts and now we're starting to see it that's three now for Aubrey and I didn't really don't understand how you can make 21 straight field goals but missed three-point after attempts which are just short field goals.... I mean Brett Meyer in my opinion was every bit as good as Aubrey was at field goals last year like I said the only ones he missed were like what three of them outside of 55 yards but started struggling with the point after attempts and now he's no longer here...

Very confusing on why these field goal kickers a lot of them struggle with the point after....
Ahh, I see you are back Brett!

The last time you were here you were dogging out Aubrey for not proving it long term. Guess that was about five weeks ago.

Seems these missed PATs the last two weeks have been enough to get you to come back out of the cave.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Terence Steele looked better. I don't care if it was against bums, he needs to get his confidence back. He definitely did look faster and more spry
TSteele will be ok. He’s gonna take a few to get back.

That injury was brutal.

vlad

Reaction score
I have never once thought Troy was unfair, like even remotely. I just don’t get that at all.

Tony was definitely pumping things up, i think he mentioned winning the SuperBowl at least a dozen times. Ex. I don’t think the o-line, while playing better hasn’t still been that great at least in the run game. Otherwise he seems pretty down the middle

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I think a lot of what you're hearing from Troy is disappointment that the team has been underachieving. There may be a little touch of overcompensation, but I think he does a good job of not saying what he really wants to say at times.

Qcard

Reaction score
First, Romo is much more Cowboy-friendly than Aikman. No surprise. But I thought his commentary was dead on.
*The O-line IS looking much better. Yesterday I saw actual, real big pockets. I haven't seen that in Dallas since the Travis Frederick lines. Biadiaz still is subject to
a bull rush now and then, and Steele still isn't completely healed so is less mobile to outside rushes, but overall, they are doing an incredible job of picking up stunts, holding their ground, and getting enough on run blocking to finally open holes.
*McCarhy has definitely changed the play calling from dink and dunk to old Oakland Raiders/Cowboys of the 1990s style of downfield passes. People will whine that Dak missed a couple of, yea, maybe easy, deep TD throws. But that was pretty common with every deep ball team.The thing is, WHEN you hit those, it's almost certainly a scoring sitution of some type.
*Pollard is looking like the back he was when #2 behind Zeke.
*Our kicker is simply the best in the league. Now, about those PATs. . .
*Quinn's D has led the league in takeaways now for THREE STRAIGHT YEARS. With Odigiezuwa and Hankins, we finally have the middle mostly solved. Yesterday although Romo did NOT mention it, I thought Vander Esch's presence was missed. But that was not a fatal problem as it was in the past.
*It looks to me (don't know the stats) that our red zone has gotten much better
*Also, Romo didn't mention and I don't know the stats but it sure SEEMS as though the pre-snap penalties are way down.

Second, Romo correctly said this team has all the ingredients to win a Super Bowl. Obviously the big (playoff) games are coming. But I haven't felt this good about our O since Zeke's first year.

Third, Romo praised Dak, who merely is the best QB in the league over the last six games INCLUDING the E-girls.

Last---and this is my comment---teams with bad records often have bad records cuz they play teams like us. Two of the Giants losses came to us. Romo pointed out that the Foreskins had two Pro-Bowl tackles, but we handled them with ease.

I see a totally different team than the one that lost to AZ and SF. The Eagles game, according to all, was very easily a Cowboys win.

Love having Romo announce. He was back to his play calling analysis.
It's great to see Romo improve his chance of making the HOF via media...

Romo always brought his A game but Patrick Nantzs of the World always mess up and Jim Craytons get all the excuses... :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

blueblood70

Reaction score
Ahh, I see you are back Brett!

The last time you were here you were dogging out Aubrey for not proving it long term. Guess that was about five weeks ago.

Seems these missed PATs the last two weeks have been enough to get you to come back out of the cave.
Now I'm just stating facts.... Brett Maher was that good last year I hate to break it to you he literally was.... He only missed 3 total field goals three of which were over 55 yards... These issues were point after attempts late in the season, we're seeing that from Aubrey... I'm just saying give Brett Maher his props he was great last year.. he was an absolute top three kicker in the league... No you missed my .5 weeks ago I'm saying Brett Maher deserves more respect for what he did because they weren't talking about him like this even though he had the nickname Brett money Maher because he kicked over 90% last year and was absolute stud... You have to have the 17 games from each of them to actually to do a real comp.. That's a Cowboys fan I'm glad aubrey's kicking great but I'm just telling you that so did Brett Maher he gets way too much hate in here just like other players that are targets from certain people like you and yes Aubrey has proved himself to be a great kicker but he's also not perfect he's missed 3 point after attempts already with six games to go... Wasn't that the main issue with one Brett Maher that was his only issue and it really only happened late in the year like the last game and then the playoff game I'm saying give some more respect to Brett money Maher because he was awesome last year and we were lucky to have him he just deserves a little respect not just remembering the bad because if we're gonna do that then yeah I'm gonna come out of the woodworks and remind people that Aubrey has started off his career awesome but he's missed 3 point after attempts the only issue that Brett Maher had...

And just like all kickers you might want to hold your breath because it takes a bad turn at any point and sometimes it never gets fixed with the yips it could happen to Aubrey it happened to some of the best kickers we ever had here.... So yeah two smaller sample size would be apropos maybe you don't understand that but it's absolute fact just like last year with the whole Mike white thing this place went crazy accusing the front office of being dumb for letting him go because he had two or three good games and then what fell off a Cliff I don't even think he's on the same team anymore