Romo destination odds

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You people are making me crazy.

Yes, everyone hates Brock. The fact remains that there simply is no realistic scenario in which Osweiler is not a Texan in 2017. He's guaranteed $19 million for 2017. If the Texans were to cut him before June 1, the result would be $25 million in dead money. If they cut him after June 1 the cap hit is still $19 million.

He ain't going anywhere, which severely limits the Texans ability to bring in another QB. Houston may well draft a qb and/or see if they can find a serviceable qb for cheap. They are not, repeat NOT, going to bring in an aging qb with a big contract.

Now if you want to look at a possible landing spot for Tony, take a look at KC. If they were to cut Alex Smith after June 1 the cap hit would be a mere $3.6 million.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/alex-smith-3337/

Nobody's saying Osweiler is going anywhere in 2017. They can't and won't cut him.

But that doesn't mean that they're forced to start him and waste another season when they could be a contender either.

They're set to be $25 million under the 2017 salary cap. They could take on Romo's $14 million salary without blinking if they wanted to.

Would paying $33 million for a starting and backup quarterback be excessive? You bet. But it's doable.

And it would be more palatable than watching an inept quarterback flush your Super Bowl chances down the drain when you can prevent it.

You draft a younger option (if Tom Savage isn't your guy) and play it out with Romo until he develops. Osweiler gets punted after the '17 season with a dead cap hit of $6 million and a savings of $15 million, covering the majority of Romo's $19.5 million (non-guaranteed) salary.

So for 2018 their total quarterback cost in salary (Romo's) and dead money (Osweiler) between the two guys is $25.5 million, right around the same ballpark as the other top end quarterbacks.

If they don't, they're cutting Osweiler in 2018 anyway and back where they started before they signed him. With a year of their current team wasted in the process.

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/houston-texans/

thisiscowboyscountry

Reaction score
If we get Clowney that would be great for both teams ...

But I just can't see Jerry being happy with another Texas team
getting the attention a possible Romo Superbowl run would bring.

I know he says Romo would bring a Superbowl to where ever he goes to,
but I can't see him wanting that for any other team than the Cowboys.

Jerry is a smart businessman, if the Texans offer a great deal he wont pass it up. I could only see a reluctance to trade him there if other offers are close in value. I wouldnt completely rule out a pass rusher trade for Romo if the Cowboys throw in extra picks.

black label

Reaction score
If you are naive enough to believe that all a QB does is throw the ball where the coach tells him to, then yes, he may have had a good game. By any other standard, starting 4-10 for 52 yards with a sack while your team falls behind 21-3 doesn't allow you to have a good game. It does allow you to pad your stats while catching up.
I don't know how to describe Romo's playoff record, but to stick with the facts, I'll describe it as "not .000", and his odds of winning don't fly in the face of 50 years of NFL history that The Three Stooges thought they could escape.
they are too stupid to see whats going on

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
This is going to be a loooooonnnnnngggg offseason with trade proposals involving Romo and top shelf players in their prime.

I don't understand how or why our fans really think he is going to fetch much of anything, let alone players like Clowney.
Dont think the Romo portion of it will last long. I believe he will either be cut or traded at the onset of FA

cowboys2233

Reaction score
How does he have a higher chance of playing for the Jags or Browns than retiring?

Anyway, I think Houston, Den and KC are his best options. Three amazing defenses where he won't have to be superman to win at his age.

At his age? Why would Romo need an amazing defense to "win at his age?" You're basically suggesting his passing skills have eroded to the point that he needs a defense to help carry him. Somehow this whole thing has gone from "Romo can't stay healthy, that's why Dak is playing" to "Dak is the better QB, Romo can't play at a high level anymore." It's like the fact that Romo was forced to the sideline and not given a chance to compete has somehow inspired this erroneous belief that he's standing on the sideline because he can't play anymore.

Dude, Romo is better than Dak. Get that through your head. If Romo needs a great defense, Dak needs a better one. Why? Because Romo is better than Dak. I swear to God, some of you are so easily manipulated by BS. Romo wasn't playing because the team wouldn't allow him to play. That's it. And it will go down as one of the stupider decisions this franchise has made.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
At his age? Why would Romo need an amazing defense to "win at his age?" You're basically suggesting his passing skills have eroded to the point that he needs a defense to help carry him. Somehow this whole thing has gone from "Romo can't stay healthy, that's why Dak is playing" to "Dak is the better QB, Romo can't play at a high level anymore." It's like the fact that Romo was forced to the sideline and not given a chance to compete has somehow inspired this erroneous belief that he's standing on the sideline because he can't play anymore.

Dude, Romo is better than Dak. Get that through your head. If Romo needs a great defense, Dak needs a better one. Why? Because Romo is better than Dak. I swear to God, some of you are so easily manipulated by BS. Romo wasn't playing because the team wouldn't allow him to play. That's it. And it will go down as one of the stupider decisions this franchise has made.
:facepalm: I won't get into your Romo vs. Dak nonsense, but I'm saying at Romo's age, he probably doesn't want to have to put the whole team on his back like he had to here. And that it would help to finally have a defense. I never said he needed anything. Maybe try actually reading my post and not jumping to conclusions in the form of an essay-long rant...

coogrfan

Reaction score
Nobody's saying Osweiler is going anywhere in 2017. They can't and won't cut him.

But that doesn't mean that they're forced to start him and waste another season when they could be a contender either.

They're set to be $25 million under the 2017 salary cap. They could take on Romo's $14 million salary without blinking if they wanted to.

Would paying $33 million for a starting and backup quarterback be excessive? You bet. But it's doable.

And it would be more palatable than watching an inept quarterback flush your Super Bowl chances down the drain when you can prevent it.

You draft a younger option (if Tom Savage isn't your guy) and play it out with Romo until he develops. Osweiler gets punted after the '17 season with a dead cap hit of $6 million and a savings of $15 million, covering the majority of Romo's $19.5 million (non-guaranteed) salary.

So for 2018 their total quarterback cost in salary (Romo's) and dead money (Osweiler) between the two guys is $25.5 million, right around the same ballpark as the other top end quarterbacks.

If they don't, they're cutting Osweiler in 2018 anyway and back where they started before they signed him. With a year of their current team wasted in the process.

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/houston-texans/

I would not be at all surprised to see Brock in a backup role in 2017, but you're overlooking the fact that QB is not the only area the Texans need to address in the off season.

CB AJ Bouye, who was Houston's 3rd best defender last year, is going to be a UFA and will likely command an 8 figure per season salary. They will almost certainly be looking to sign WR DeAndre Hopkins and LT Duane Brown to extensions as well. Add to that the fact that the OL needs at least two new starters and they will need cap room to sign their draft picks. One more thing to consider is the need to sign Clowney to an extension in the near future.

When you take all that into consideration it makes investing $30 million or more at QB untenable.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would not be at all surprised to see Brock in a backup role in 2017, but you're overlooking the fact that QB is not the only area the Texans need to address in the off season.

CB AJ Bouye, who was Houston's 3rd best defender last year, is going to be a UFA and will likely command an 8 figure per season salary. They will almost certainly be looking to sign WR DeAndre Hopkins and LT Duane Brown to extensions as well. Add to that the fact that the OL needs at least two new starters and they will need cap room to sign their draft picks. One more thing to consider is the need to sign Clowney to an extension in the near future.

When you take all that into consideration it makes investing $30 million or more at QB untenable.

Again, you're talking about things down the road. They have $25 million available in 2017. More than one person has shown you that. The money simply isn't an issue.

They could sign Romo, Bouye, and the Hopkins extension and still have money left in 2017. We all know how contracts can and are structured.

Duane Brown is 31 years old and under contract through 2018. They may not even want to sign him to an extension at that point, much less having to worry about it now.

Those re-signings you point to don't have to happen in 2017. Clowney I've looked into specifically. They can use an option on him in 2018 and not have to worry about the long term until 2019, two years after Osweiler will be gone.

He's undoubtedly done after this season and that frees up an additional $15 million for them. Cap space is not an issue.

coogrfan

Reaction score
The money is an issue. They have multiple areas they need to address for 2017 and beyond. I really can't make it much clearer than that.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Dont think the Romo portion of it will last long. I believe he will either be cut or traded at the onset of FA
This very well could happen
I'm sure Romo wants that--to get a full offseason in somewhere or at least be availble earlier for teams' offseason plans.

I suspect the Cowboys would like it also just to move forward

Dodger12

Reaction score
I'll keep it simple for you. Since no rookie has ever won the Super Bowl, that means every single QB in the history of the NFL has failed at least once to do it. How many times did Elway or Manning fail before he got there? So there is plenty of precedent for Romo to get to the Super Bowl on his 5th playoff trip. There is zero precedent for any rookie to ever make it there, with a 50 year sample size to prove it. The Three Stooges got the reward they deserved for their arrogance.

Good post and on the money......

All your crying and personal attacks are irrelevant, Romo will be gone and Dak will be the undisputed starter. Ultimately you can either get behind your team's starting QB, or you can go away and root for the Texans or whoever.

And the typical response when someone has nothing and can't debate a topic with any substance.

Rockdoc

Reaction score

Romo maybe better than Dak today. how much, not much. Dak is the future and went 13-3 so Tony's starting career in Dallas is over. Dak is cheaper and right now is not "injury prone". I love Tony and wish he would stay, but i understand and support what the team did this year, and will accept that Romo will leave

ufcrules1

Reaction score
Damn straight. KC was a few plays away from beating Pitt and Smith couldn't make them. I think Tony could operate withing Reid's offense. But....who knows.

Who knows is right. What has Romo ever done special in the playoffs? 2 wild card wins in 11 years? Just got has job taken by a rookie. Romo had nothing left. Couldn't even stay healthy the last 2 YEARS.