Romo has broken bone in back; out 6-10 weeks ** Mega Thread **

cml750

Reaction score
Well for his own health, it is probably time for Romo to hang up his helmet. He has life to think about after football. That being said, he will be one of the greatest QB's to never win a Superbowl. Sad he was hamstrung with poor coaches for nearly all of his career. Sad waste of talent.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Does retiring affect that amount in any way if he were to do that?

I dunno, but I would imagine that retiring due to injury suffered while playing: a) wouldn't effect whether or not he is paid for the season in which the injury occurred, and b) doesn't really matter anyway because I think Jerry would honor the contract for this season.

He doesn't have to retire this year so he could just sit around. If Dallas wanted to get rid of him, they'd have to reach an injury settlement. While I would imagine a forced retirement is hashed out in the CBA to pay the player the current year's salary and move on, for all parties involved I think Jerry would simply pay the guy because a retirement would be arranged between Romo and the club to avoid the dead weight on the bench, and to avoid any potential arbitration in the future.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
He wasn't kicked in the back, it's a compression fracture of the L1, downward force
And you know this how?
I said kick was a maybe, and being slammed down on but then bent over like that could hurt many players. and would fit compression fracture.
It wasnt a simple hit.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
It doesn't matter. Flag OR no flag, it wouldn't have changed the outcome as it relates to Tony's injury.

Agreed, and that's exactly what I have said in another post. It's ridiculous to ask for a flag on that play and it wouldn't have made a bit of difference if a flag was thrown.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
It is football and you cannot play scared. Tony did nothing wrong. The coaches did nothing wrong. Injuries happen. People need to stop trying to assign blame. Injuries are part of the game.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I felt it was a bonehead play and he should have just grounded the ball, who cares? However, it could be the opposite. When he felt it closing in on him, he may have felt more vulnerable where he was and instinctively took off to get in the open and get down. Or he felt the pressure to make a play out of nothing because of Footsteps.

There is only one fact I know for certain. Given the time, he would have protected himself because as competitive as he is, he didn't want to give up his job unless Footsteps took it away from him as he did Bledsoe. Do we think he would have been fighting to get back in if that had been Cassel or Weeden out there? If you get the chance, take a good long look at his body language and eyes when Dak was wowing everyone. Not saying he's not happy for him and mentoring him but show me the QB that wants to go out that way. Think he doesn't know that after Weeden and Cassell everyone was antsy to get Romo back. You can take a look around this forum or any other and that's a reflection of how many were ready for the next franchise QB. Do we think he's not aware of that?

I posted something like these "why", "what was he thinking" posts but the more I think about that and him, I really do think he was feeling pressure to perform and quieten the DakAttackers. He's never been through anything like this before. No Cowboys team has ever seen this. He wasn't a husband, father or mentor on that play, he was the QB doing what they do.
Yeah, when the camera went to Tony's face at the timeout right before the half you could see it in his eyes. I felt horrible really

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Stop believing...
Michael-Ochs-Archive-not-Getty.jpg

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
Oh. Because it seemed like you just didn't read it that well, period. You know, after not being aware of it in the first place.

Kinda thing.

my bad. It appears I am responding about what has been talked about over and over and over again in the media from day one til now about how EE will take pressure off Romo which will extend his game. your take on it based on that statement is the absolute first time I have ever heard it described that way so if that is the way you are interpreting it and only that way, then thank you for your opinion.

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score
Did Seattle just knock us out of the playoffs again, even before the season's begun? Good grief this is horrible.

How IRONIC if that happens. Romo's career seemingly started at Seattle and now finished by Seattle,....Time to move on, Love ya Romo, But next man up.

Westcoasthabsfan

Reaction score
bottom line this team needs to aquire a QB.....for the foreseeable future because Showers isnt it....

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
God, its hard to read a post from you with no sarcasm.
I'll have a shabby version just for you while I am trying to be an upstanding new citizen of CZ.

If it helps, I was thinking about some sarcastic things while being a good citizen.

fairviewfarmer

Reaction score
He was hurt on a play that happens in football. Its not a game for the old and brittle. I thought Tony looked a little stiff before the injury. Thank him for what he's done. His time is over. Time waits for no one, especially a 10 year starter at NFL QB that has taken the hits Tony has.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I'm stunned -- just woke up from a nap and my son told me the news. All things considered, this might be the right time for Tony to retire. I can't help but wonder if the remainder of his life might have been at stake if he continued to play. It was a good thing JG didn't let him back in.

Anyhow, here's wishing the best of luck to Dak in taking over for him this year. To say the least, it should prove extremely interesting to see how he makes out going forward. It'll surely be a challenge for him to fill Romo's shoes . . . I'm glad for him and sad for Romo.

Last edited:

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I dunno, but I would imagine that retiring due to injury suffered while playing: a) wouldn't effect whether or not he is paid for the season in which the injury occurred, and b) doesn't really matter anyway because I think Jerry would honor the contract for this season.

He doesn't have to retire this year so he could just sit around. If Dallas wanted to get rid of him, they'd have to reach an injury settlement. While I would imagine a forced retirement is hashed out in the CBA to pay the player the current year's salary and move on, for all parties involved I think Jerry would simply pay the guy because a retirement would be arranged between Romo and the club to avoid the dead weight on the bench, and to avoid any potential arbitration in the future.
Dallas has to pay him the 8.5m for this year but after that they aren't obligated to pay him another dime

If he retires then he gets nothing, he can't try to change a 6 week fracture into a career ending injury

Aven8

Reaction score
I stated this yesterday, he got happy feet. The blitzing LB scared him and Zeke took him out. He should have just stepped up and hit Wittem in the flat. Maybe he wasn't sure Zeke would get him, but get him he did.

Cowboy_Shawn

Reaction score
On the bright side, it will be refreshing watching a Cowboys' game without having to hold my breath every time the QB takes a hit.

visionary

Reaction score
Ok guys, calm down
Even if Tony can come back in 6 weeks he will be rusty and not be in football shape

Most likely the Romo era is done

If Dak plays reasonably well you let him get the experience and look to next year