Romo has broken bone in back; out 6-10 weeks ** Mega Thread **

Playmaker247

Reaction score
Romo is stubborn, he will be back week 8. He will be rusty but will probably still battle us to another win or two because in this sorry division we will still be in the race. But most likely he wont last more than a few games. I do think hes taken some significant hits but its naive to call it all bad luck. Hes an old man by nfl standards and while he is a hard worker hes never been your prototypical strong man suit of armor type qb. The hits have added up over time. His back was stiff before he took the field Thursday wether they say so or not. We know it was a problem earlier in camp. I personally think he moved like he was stiff going into the slide. His back is and probably always will be a chronic problem. Bad backs rarely ever just go away. I wouldn't have labled him injury prone or frail prior to Thursday but its impossible to sit here now and still believe he can come back and last for longer than a couple good hits.
Being back week 8 is him missing 10 weeks which according the media thats the worst case scenario. I expect him to be back before that. Thinking more week 4 or 5

CWR

Reaction score
Being back week 8 is him missing 10 weeks which according the media thats the worst case scenario. I expect him to be back before that. Thinking more week 4 or 5

Im looking at the last report I could find on rotoworld. Week 7 is a bye so hed miss 6 games. They rushed him back last year and paid for it. He will probably proclaim to be ready in week 4 or 5 but I think alot will depend on where we are and how Dak is playing. I have such little faith in our training staff. Neither him nor Dez shouldve come back when they did last year and it was clear they werent right. Also why I felt hesitant on Zekes hammy, lord know we cant manage a hammy to save our lives.

perrykemp

Reaction score
A lot wrong here.

The cyst thing was before the 2013 season and is a complete non-issue.

You vastly overrate the Cowboys protection. They are an elite run blocking line, but not an elite pass protection OL. They are good but inconsistent.

Unless Romo has an issue with weak bones then the vast majority of his injuries are just coincidences and bad luck.

Your right on the Cyst, it was 2013. Here is my recollection of Romo's last 34 games of regular season games. Let me know if I have this right.

• Surgery on Romo's back prior the season to remove a cyst
  • Missed playoff deciding last game of the season with a season ending back injury
  • Missed game against Arizona due to 2 broken bones in his back incurred in a game against Washington Game
  • Took painkilling injections for his back before each game
  • Started taking Wednesdays off to reduce strain on his back
  • In games where he didn't have a full week for his back to recover, didn't play well. In particular a Thursday game against Philly stands out
  • Breaks collarbone against Eagles
  • Comes back and re-breaks collarbone against the Panthers and is out for the season
  • Team decides to wait to see if Romo's collarbone heals on it's own. Finally all the way in March team doctors decide Romo' shoulder is not healing satisfactorily and decide to perform corrective Mumford surgery
  • Romo breaks a bone in his spine in his first preseason action and is proclaimed out 6-10 weeks

Last edited:

Eddie

Reaction score
Call it a day. Another hit, and Tony's in a wheelchair for the rest of his life.

We weren't ready when Aikman went down. This season will rest on the shoulders of a 4th round rookie QB ... basically saying that we weren't ready for Romo's demise.

I'm not expecting much this season. Hoping to see growth and to determine if Dak has a future here. Otherwise, we're back in the QB wilderness ala post-Aikman.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Your right on the Cyst, it was 2013. Here is my recollection of Romo's last 34 games of regular season games. Let me know if I have this right.

• Surgery on Romo's back prior the season to remove a cyst
  • Missed playoff deciding last game of the season with a season ending back injury
  • Missed game against Arizona due to 2 broken bones in his back incurred in a game against Washington Game
  • Took painkilling injections for his back before each game
  • Started taking Wednesdays off to reduce strain on his back
  • In games where he didn't have a full week for his back to recover, didn't play well. In particular a Thursday game against Philly stands out
  • Breaks collarbone against Eagles
  • Comes back and re-breaks collarbone against the Panthers and is out for the season
  • Team decides to wait to see if Romo's collarbone heals on it's own. Finally all the way in March team doctors decide Romo' shoulder is not healing satisfactorily and decide to perform corrective Mumford surgery
  • Romo breaks a bone in his spine in his first preseason action and is proclaimed out 6-10 weeks

Mostly accurate. In 2014, the Philly game was the only game he didn't have a full week. The only 2 bad games he had were the opener and the Philly game. And he wasn't as bad in that game as people make him out to be. He was pretty solid in the first half, but drops, non-calls by the refs, and fumbles (looking at you Bease) put them in bad spots. The 2nd half he forced things.

As far as I recall there was no issue with the collarbone healing on its own, and the surgery was purely a preventative measure to lessen the chances of future breaks.

Also, the 6-10 weeks thing is still up in the air as there are conflicting reports/diagnosis. We'll see what's official.

He's been hurt, but the type of injuries and the details surrounding them are not indicative future problems. The only one that would be is the back (disc) issue, and he's missed one game for that in 2013.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
Look I don't care if Romo misses 1 game or 5 we aren't repeating this crap from last season. We aren't going to depend on any one player. It's BS and Garrett knew we made that mistake last season. The mantra all offseason has been NO EXCUSES. This team will be prepared for this situation watch. We are going 10-6 this year with or without ROMO or DEZ.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
The silver lining is Dak getting needed experience. He's proving to be our saving grace.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Sucks to hear this news, but to be honest I am not surprised.

In the game thread, there were a couple people saying he was barely touched and there shouldn't be any injury. I posted that the impact was a classic case of spinal compression and that it was the kind of hit and awkward motion where you could suffer a compression fracture. Here we are a couple days later....and he has an L1 compression fracture. The good thing about the injury is that when it is healed, there isn't really a long recovery period....you are pretty much able to resume activity.

Basically, I think you pretty much roll with Dak unless the team is tanking without Romo. I hate to see it happen, but nothing is fair...time doesn't wait for anyone. Just like Bledsoe's time came to an end basically in the snap of fingers, Romo might be in the same situation. Time to throw our support to Dak....and to be honest, it's kind of exciting.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
Again, more qualifiers in a vain attempt to minimize facts.

The only "drama" is coming for those refusing to see the facts for what they are.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda. Again. I don't care what he missed, when he missed, or why he missed, only that he missed games.

Continuity. Building for the future. And being done with this roll of the dice we continue to undertake, only to roll snake eyes again and again.

This pattern needs to stop.

The funny thing in all this is when Romo comes back and we start winning a few games you'll be right back on his nuts again.