Romo leaving really crippled us. Garrett has to change or leave

DFWJC

Reaction score
24-23 from 2011-2013: we were crippled with him, williebeamon!

You Romoites kill me
Those were 3-13 or 5-11 teams at best. 24-23 was somewhat miraculous

I think one year, tHey had one of the worst defenses in NFL history.
Yet somehow still were scrapping for a playoff spot. Unreal really.

But people are being too hard on Dak, imo.
We'll know much more after year 3

Last edited:

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Romo was physically done. Had he not retired voluntarilly, he was one hit away from being forced to do so.

The things holding this team back are poor coaching and worse front office management. We literally have more talent than the Patriots, but look what they do with it.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
It's almost like Pro Bowls are useless in evaluating players. Romo had a talented team in 2007, 2009, and 2014 and that's pretty much it, the rest of the years the team was poor at best. All 3 years they ran into better teams, all 3 years the defense was a big disappointment, and in all 3 years there was a part of the offensive supporting cast that vastly underperformed. (Oline and receivers in 2007, oline in 2009, and running back and to a lesser extent oline in 2014).

I used to think that way and then re-evaluated. Take 2011 for example. We went 8-8 that year and threw winnable games away like:

Week 1 @ Jets - We were poised to take a 2 possession lead in the 4th quarter. Jets offense couldn’t move ball. We turn it over near the goal line, allow a blocked punt, and throw a late game interception. Horrible meltdown to lose a game that was in the bag.

Week 4 vs. Lions - Had a huge lead, throw pick 6s and allow blocked punt. Ridiculous loss.

Week 6 @ NE - I flew to Boston for this game. Had ball and lead late in 4th. Get a first down and most likely win. We run 3 straight times on a day we struggled running. I think we should have beaten the Pats here.

Week 13 @ Arizona - Bailey misses GW field goal. Some people blame Garrett for “icing the kicker” but I don’t subscribe to the line of thinking.

Week 14 vs. NY Giants - had a double digit lead in 4th. The division title was set to be ours and NYs season was about to be over. Defense couldn’t hold and Romo and Miles Austin couldn’t connect on a wide open, long walk in touchdown play after the defender fell down. Austin said he lost the ball on the lights.

That’s 5 games the Cowboys blew. The NE game may be a stretch but the other 4 were choked away. That team was better than most people remember and should have easily been in the playoffs.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Willie Beamen:

Enjoy this dose of reality

I love how Romoites act like there weren't a lot of day like this w Romo!

Same crap offense though. Nothing to worry about underneath for the defense.

We're so crippled since this guy left

Yawn

A few cherry picked games in a 10 year career as a starter.

Now why dont you up some video on the scrub QB we have now that throws more pick 6s than anybody

Gator88

Reaction score
I used to think that way and then re-evaluated. Take 2011 for example. We went 8-8 that year and threw winnable games away like:

Week 1 @ Jets - We were poised to take a 2 possession lead in the 4th quarter. Jets offense couldn’t move ball. We turn it over near the goal line, allow a blocked punt, and throw a late game interception. Horrible meltdown to lose a game that was in the bag.

Week 4 vs. Lions - Had a huge lead, throw pick 6s and allow blocked punt. Ridiculous loss.

Week 6 @ NE - I flew to Boston for this game. Had ball and lead late in 4th. Get a first down and most likely win. We run 3 straight times on a day we struggled running. I think we should have beaten the Pats here.

Week 13 @ Arizona - Bailey misses GW field goal. Some people blame Garrett for “icing the kicker” but I don’t subscribe to the line of thinking.

Week 14 vs. NY Giants - had a double digit lead in 4th. The division title was set to be ours and NYs season was about to be over. Defense couldn’t hold and Romo and Miles Austin couldn’t connect on a wide open, long walk in touchdown play after the defender fell down. Austin said he lost the ball on the lights.

That’s 5 games the Cowboys blew. The NE game may be a stretch but the other 4 were choked away. That team was better than most people remember and should have easily been in the playoffs.
The NFL is so watered down now that the majority of games come down to a couple of plays. This isn't anything unique, but what does surprise me is that in the games other than the 2 that were against the teams in the Super Bowl that year, there were big special teams miscues in each game.

DFWJC

Reaction score

I think youre taking the negative on all those.
You can almost say that about any close loss in history if you try hard enough.
Ignore rhe good play but recall vividly the bad ones.

What about the week 2 road upset of a dominant San Francisco team...with punctured lung and a broken ribs QB.?

Still playing with busted/ broken ribs for weeks after that. Dude was blind with pain by the second half of that Lions game...after the pain killers were gone. I do agree that was ugly though. They should've just run the ball.

The icing the kicker thing stunk too.

I remember the misconnect with Romo/Austin. Ouch. It did look like he may have lost it in the lights. Who knows. One play, but a missed chamce

That 2011 team had a weak defense and an aging, crap oline.
Granted, it'd get much worse in 2012, but it was heading that way in 2011.
They weren't going anywhere

Last edited:

Gator88

Reaction score
Romo said his back was OK, and he could still play, but the cbs
Offer was too good, and it was
Now or not get it.
Yes, contrary to what people here would have you think, roles as the color analyst on a national network's #1 team are not often available, especially to somebody without any broadcasting experience.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I think youre taking the negative on all those.
You can almost say that about any close loss in history if you try hard enough.
Ignore rhe good olay but recall vividly the bad ones.

What about the week 2 road upset of a dominant San Francisco team...with punctured lung and bromen ribs QB.?

Still playing with busted/ broken ribs fir weeks after that. Dude was blind with pain by the second half of that Lions game...after the pain killer were gone. I do agree that was ugly though. They shouldve just run the ball.

The icing the kicker thing stunk too.

I remember the misconduct with Romo/Austin. Ouch. It did look like he may have lost it in the lights. Who knows. One play, but a missed chamce

That 2011 team had an absolutely putrid defense and crap oline. They weren't going anywhere

Yes, I am talking all the negative. The week 2 was great, but I expected the team to win. I didn’t watch that team thinking we were lucky to be a .500 ball club. We had one of the best QBs in the league which instantly puts us as one of the “haves” vs the “have nots” in the league. That team may not have won the SB but they should have made the playoffs and they proved they could play with both teams in the SB.

waving monkey

Reaction score
You mean the broken collarbone that wasnt healed and the back injury that wouldve hurt any QB?

Good to know

Here is Romo's injury history starting in 2013 I think it is good to know your right
April 2013 -- Back surgery

Romo's back troubles surfaced when he had surgery to remove a cyst. He did not participate in the offseason program but returned for training camp.
Dec. 22, 2013 -- Herniated disk

Romo suffered the injury in the fourth quarter of a 24-23 win at Washington. He had surgery the following week and did not return until training camp.

Missed games: 1 (0-1)

Oct. 27, 2014 -- Back

Romo fractured the transverse process in his back in two places against Washington. He returned two weeks later to beat Jacksonville in London.

Nov. 26, 2015 -- Left clavicle

Romo again fractured his left clavicle on a sack by the Panthers' Thomas Davis.

Missed games: five (1-4)

Aug. 25, 2016 -- L1 Vertebra

Romo suffered a compression fracture in his L1 vertebra after taking an awkward hit in a preseason game in Seattle.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Yes, I am talking all the negative. The week 2 was great, but I expected the team to win. I didn’t watch that team thinking we were lucky to be a .500 ball club. We had one of the best QBs in the league which instantly puts us as one of the “haves” vs the “have nots” in the league. That team may not have won the SB but they should have made the playoffs and they proved they could play with both teams in the SB.
Fair enough.
I thought that team had huge holes, but with a play here or there, yes, they could've squeeked in.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Here is Romo's injury history starting in 2013 I think it is good to know your right
April 2013 -- Back surgery

Romo's back troubles surfaced when he had surgery to remove a cyst. He did not participate in the offseason program but returned for training camp.
Dec. 22, 2013 -- Herniated disk

Romo suffered the injury in the fourth quarter of a 24-23 win at Washington. He had surgery the following week and did not return until training camp.

Oct. 27, 2014 -- Back

Romo fractured the transverse process in his back in two places against Washington. He returned two weeks later to beat Jacksonville in London.

Nov. 26, 2015 -- Left clavicle

Romo again fractured his left clavicle on a sack by the Panthers' Thomas Davis.

Missed games: five (1-4)

Aug. 25, 2016 -- L1 Vertebra

Romo suffered a compression fracture in his L1 vertebra after taking an awkward hit in a preseason game in Seattle.
I thought for sure he had a collar bone fracture in a giants game( I've not read 1/2 of the first page yet, though)