Romo-meter...

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
When 2 of the INT's were the fault of the WR's, yeah. Its pretty close to excellence. The INT:Attempt rate and QB Rating would be staggering take those two away.

Yes, he might have played against less complicated defensive schemes, and he also probably played with a less complicated offensive scheme with little to no game planning to showcase what he does best. Parcells has hardly even called a bootleg with Romo in the game this season, even though one of his greatest traits is his accuracy on the run. Obviously, he wants to see him do other things that maybe he's not so comfortable with. Kind of balances out, really.
this is fair.

i don't want Romo starting anytime soon but perhaps he can enter a few blowouts and hang points on our opponents with our second team and prepare for 2007 camp QB competition. i'm also comfortable more than in a decade with our backup QB.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab said:
Some of these excuses are amazing...

I almost expect to see that some of Romo's interceptions were as good as a punt. :)
Are you serious? Did you not see the Hannam pass?

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab said:
Some of these excuses are amazing...

As is some of the denial.

The bottom line is that he was issued a challenge by Parcells going into camp. Not only did he meet the bar, he exceeded it.

The debates are no longer "Does Romo have the ability to be an NFL Quarterback?" or "Romo is auditioning to show Parcells he's worth keeping around." That time has long passed.

Now the debate is whether he's ready to start this year. That's how good he's been this preseason.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:

The bottom line is that he was issued a challenge by Parcells going into camp. Not only did he meet the bar, he exceeded it.

The debates are no longer "Is Romo an NFL Quarterback?" or "Romo is auditioning to show Parcells he's worth keeping around." Now the debate is whether he's ready to start this year. That's how good he's been this preseason.

He's a 4 year Vet. He should be doing the kinds of things he's doing. For me, the debate is not if he should be starting. For me, the debate is, should we go with just two QBs? I do like Romo's ability to make things happen and I do think he's the kind of player that can be a good QB with more work but I, for one, do not like the idea of handing the season over to him this year if Bledsoe goes down.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
If its so easy to put up these kinds of numbers in the preseason, why isn't everyone doing it?

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
Let's be fair here, Bledsoe payed against the same vanilla defenses, and he threw up as many intercetpions as Romo. All QB's throw interceptions, it is stupid to say that yeah, he played alright but for the interceptions.

Unfortunately, because of our O-Line play, Bledsoe won't last long. Every team knows to rush him down the middle, you have him. Sure he is great when he has time, but with this line, and more exotic blitzes than he has seen in the pre-season, he won't have much time to throw, and many sacks.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
He's a 4 year Vet. He should be doing the kinds of things he's doing. For me, the debate is not if he should be starting. For me, the debate is, should we go with just two QBs? I do like Romo's ability to make things happen and I do think he's the kind of player that can be a good QB with more work but I, for one, do not like the idea of handing the season over to him this year if Bledsoe goes down.

I agree with you and I really don't think there is any doubt in the organzations mind or BP mind who the starting QB is this year. I think Romo may very well have a future here as a starter but it highly unlikely it will be this season unless Drew gets hurt.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
He's an undrafted FA from a small school. He should be selling cars in Small Town, United States.

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
4 year Vet comparison is inappropriate... that implies playing for 4 years almost. if his name was "Manning" you guys would be doint cartwheels now, nevermind he might have outplayed mr "i won't play for SD" to date. it's amazing what fans see and fail to see on their team and others.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
If its so easy to put up these kinds of numbers in the preseason, why isn't everyone doing it?
Well first off, there are backup Qbs who have been preseason warriors before. Schaub, Cassell to name a few.

Secondly not every QB plays 11 quarters in preseason or throws 45 passes in one game.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Mr Cowboy said:
Let's be fair here, Bledsoe payed against the same vanilla defenses, and he threw up as many intercetpions as Romo. All QB's throw interceptions, it is stupid to say that yeah, he played alright but for the interceptions.

Unfortunately, because of our O-Line play, Bledsoe won't last long. Every team knows to rush him down the middle, you have him. Sure he is great when he has time, but with this line, and more exotic blitzes than he has seen in the pre-season, he won't have much time to throw, and many sacks.

And yet Bledsoe did a very good job of avoiding the sacks lastnight even in the face of some big rushes by the Vikes.

wileedog

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:

Is there someone else available you would actually feel more comfortable handing the season over to?

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
For some reason, "impulse throws" don't sound as scary referring to Romo as they did to Q. Or maybe I just have a greater appreciation for 'sandlot' than most fans do.

No one wants to see games lost or drives ruined on impulsive decisions, but learning to throw it away takes many, if not most, quarterbacks a while. (Don't even get into how many years it took Drew.)

"Impulse throws" may be anathema to coaches, but they are also the flip side of a particular style of QB, ie Favre. Sometimes, when those impulses work, you get amazingly instinctual, high light reel plays...the kind more methodical type qbs rarely demonstrate.

I don't want to see Romo's instincts or energy harnessed, because he hasn't had enough game reps to even calculate his odds like a more experienced qb does. That will come in time.

I thought this with Q and am beginning to think it of Tony...while on the learning curve qbs with this 'flair' need to learn/improve discipline, but making something happen on the run, or just sixth sensing an opportunity in the pocket is what makes their games potentially very special..so the straight-jacket needs to be fastened loosely.

Still seeing shades of Kilmer in this one, leadership wise in particular.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
And yet Bledsoe did a very good job of avoiding the sacks lastnight even in the face of some big rushes by the Vikes.

True, for what.......a little over a quarter, where he left with a concussion and an interception. Do think he would have gone unsacked the entire game had he played and if the defense was being vanilla. Or was the defense vanilla only when romo was in there?

I think Romo did a good job of escaping the rush and avoided some sacks that Bledsoe would never escape from.

gbrittain

Reaction score
chinch said:
4 year Vet comparison is inappropriate... that implies playing for 4 years almost. if his name was "Manning" you guys would be doint cartwheels now, nevermind he might have outplayed mr "i won't play for SD" to date. it's amazing what fans see and fail to see on their team and others.

I think you just went a wee bit too far. Until Romo throws a regular season pass he has not outplayed anyone.

Now if you are comparing preseason stats, then you are comparing apples and oranges. Romo has thrown 92 passes to Manning's 46. I will go out on a limb and say Eli probably has not thrown a pass in the second half of a preseason game yet.

Not trying to build Eli up and tear Romo down, but your statement is a bit over the top.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
theogt said:
He's an undrafted FA from a small school. He should be selling cars in Small Town, United States.

Maybe, but if he thought that way, he probably wouldn't be where he is now.

To me, it doesn't matter where he came from. It matters where he's at and where he might be able to go. In 4 years, a QB should be in a position to be a back up or better if he's going to be on the roster. I do give Romo his props for what he's accomplished but my expectations of him are the same as they would be any 4 year QB.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:

The debates are no longer "Is Romo an NFL Quarterback?" or "Romo is auditioning to show Parcells he's worth keeping around." Now the debate is whether he's ready to start this year.

That's how good he's been this preseason.
Denial of what? What are some of us "guilty" of denying?

I've never said that Romo "isn't an NFL quarterback". Obviously he is. Now the question is, at what level?

My concern is that there's been plenty of talk around camp that Romo can be as good or even better than Bledsoe, that he's ready to take over for Bledsoe at some point. So like you say, the question now is can Romo be a winning starter in the NFL and an improvement over Bledsoe. From my perspective, I say no. I still see poor decisions, faulty mechanics, and fumbles -- are those important anymore? -- when he's under duress. IMO it really doesn't matter how many yards Romo throws for in 3rd and 4th quarters of preseason games against scrubs. I want to know what he will do at the Commanders house we're down 13-7 with a playoff spot on the line.

That's if we're talking about Romo taking over as the starting QB of this franchise. If we're just talking about him being a serviceable stopgap backup, then great, we've found one without even spending a draft pick, and that's very good news.

Now like any other time I think a Cowboys player isn't quite that great, I hope I'm wrong and the player turns out to be All-Pro. But I don't see it in Romo quite yet. If that's a crime, I guess I'm guilty.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
chinch said:

I don't see how. This is his 4th season. Doesn't matter if he's played or not. If he is worthy of holding a roster spot in his 4th season, he should be able to back up. If he can't, then he shouldn't be on the roster, same as any other QB IMO. I don't give Romo any extra credit, nor do I give him less because his name is or is not Manning.

gbrittain

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:

To me, it doesn't matter where he came from. It matters where he's at and where he might be able to go. In 4 years, a QB should be in a position to be a back up or better if he's going to be on the roster. I do give Romo his props for what he's accomplished but my expectations of him are the same as they would be any 4 year QB.

Being a QB afficionado that I am, I find this debate very interesting.

Many have concluded that a young QB should not see the field his rookie year or a couple years after that. That way you are avoiding a QB going through the typical rookie mistakes.

Now that we have a QB who has set on the bench for four years, people do not want to refer to him as a veteran yet.

Maybe there needs to be a new word for these kind of guys. Maybe he is Vetookie or something like that.;)

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:

I don't have the same expectations for undrafted FAs as I do for first rounders. Maybe its just me. After 3 years in the league he looks he's ready to start and perform well. That's quite an amazing feat out of an undrafted FA.