Romo-meter...

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
wileedog said:
Is there someone else available you would actually feel more comfortable handing the season over to?

Over all, I would be much more comfortable if we had three QBs as opposed to two. I would not mind the team going out and signing a guy like Volek. I don't know that the team would ever do that. Proably wont. They've already said there going to go with two but I personally would feel much better if they went out and got an experienced QB who could be there if needed.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Mr Cowboy said:
True, for what.......a little over a quarter, where he left with a concussion and an interception. Do think he would have gone unsacked the entire game had he played and if the defense was being vanilla. Or was the defense vanilla only when romo was in there?

I think Romo did a good job of escaping the rush and avoided some sacks that Bledsoe would never escape from.

I think Bledsoe will do just fine leading this team, will he take some sacks yes but he will also make big plays for this team. There were some throws that Romo missed that I don't think Bledsoe would have. I also have confidence that should Romo be forced into action this season he will be able to keep things together until Bledsoe returns. There is no doubt though who the starting QB is and that is Bledsoe

itoldyouSOE

Reaction score
Mr Cowboy said:
Let's be fair here, Bledsoe payed against the same vanilla defenses, and he threw up as many intercetpions as Romo. All QB's throw interceptions, it is stupid to say that yeah, he played alright but for the interceptions.

Unfortunately, because of our O-Line play, Bledsoe won't last long. Every team knows to rush him down the middle, you have him. Sure he is great when he has time, but with this line, and more exotic blitzes than he has seen in the pre-season, he won't have much time to throw, and many sacks.

"Threw up as many interceptions as Romo"? Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Bledsoe toss 1 INT last night and Romo 2?

Or were you talking about the entire preseason? Even if you were, ESPN.com says Romo tossed 3 TDs and 3 INTs, whilst Bledsoe tossed 3 TDs to 1 INT.

What gives??!!??

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
Over all, I would be much more comfortable if we had three QBs as opposed to two. I would not mind the team going out and signing a guy like Volek. I don't know that the team would ever do that. Proably wont. They've already said there going to go with two but I personally would feel much better if they went out and got an experienced QB who could be there if needed.
Why? Do you think they're both going to get hurt? 3 QBs isn't a necessity. The 3rd QB spot is just used for a project QB. When you have more pressing roster needs and no real project laying around the 3rd QB position is certainly expendable.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
itoldyouSOE said:
"Threw up as many interceptions as Romo"? Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Bledsoe toss 1 INT last night and Romo 2?

Or were you talking about the entire preseason? Even if you were, ESPN.com says Romo tossed 3 TDs and 3 INTs, whilst Bledsoe tossed 3 TDs to 1 INT.

What gives??!!??

Bledsoe evidently was pretty groggy on that play after being hit in the head a couple of plays before. Jones was being fussed at on the sidelines for it and Bledsoe stepped in and took the blame for the misque on the play. Drew arm was hit which resulted in the int

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Can't we just agree that we're fortunate to have two QBs capable of starting in the NFL?

From there, the argument can be whether or not the unproven one can play at a high level. My take: 8 games into his starting career Romo will be a better option than Bledsoe is currently. And I like Bledsoe a lot.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Again, Romo has done an excellent job of protecting the ball per the amount of snaps he's played. His turnover:snap ratio has been exceptional. But as long as you say he's been bad at it, it must be true.

And if your biggest concern is picks and fumbles under pressure, you might want to re-evaluate your faith in Drew Bledsoe ... its not exactly his strong suit.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ABQCOWBOY said:

When has a third QB ever been important in getting a team to the playoffs? Seirously?

If we're down to our third option, you can bet we'd be scouring the streets for some Testaverde-ish retread to finish out the campaign. The only value of a 3rd QB is in the game in which the #2 goes down.

We don't have anyone worth enough developmentally to justify a spot on the roster as opposed to one on the PS.

gbrittain

Reaction score
chinch said:
please look up the word *MIGHT*

Well, I did see the word "might" and still think you are either way off base or comparing apples to oranges.

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
why do we need 3 QBs again?

we're in the best division in football... if Drew AND Romo go down our season is over and we'll get some servicable scrub to mop up the season (as any team would)

again with Volek here... ugh.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab said:
Now like any other time I think a Cowboys player isn't quite that great, I hope I'm wrong and the player turns out to be All-Pro. But I don't see it in Romo quite yet. If that's a crime, I guess I'm guilty.

Its funny, how the same people, telling everyone that playing against Scrubs is not proof enough, tell us that we have to buy the stats when played against scrubs, a sign of great things to come.

I am begining to buy into Romo, but to say, he has proven anything yet, other than being a capable backup, is overstating it. Matt Schaub has more than proven, that Pre-season, spot duty jobs, doesn't necessarily mean, you will be good when you get to start full time basis. Same with Garrard or Billy Volek etc.

You never know about a QB, till they have started few games, especially, ones like Romo, who sometimes makes impulsive decisions, good and bad, how they will react when chips are down in playoffs or key games.

Cowchips

Reaction score
itoldyouSOE said:

What gives??!!??

Yes, and Bledsoe played the 1st string defense while Romo for the most part played against 2nd and 3rd stringers. Good for his development but BAD, if you are expecting him to be the starter for a team with suspect running game, average defense and suspect special teams. The starter for the 'boys will need to do more than just hand the ball off the way Tom Brady did his first year.

Cowchips

Reaction score
RCowboyFan said:
Its funny, how the same people, telling everyone that playing against Scrubs is not proof enough, tell us that we have to buy the stats when played against scrubs, a sign of great things to come.

I am begining to buy into Romo, but to say, he has proven anything yet, other than being a capable backup, is overstating it. Matt Schaub has more than proven, that Pre-season, spot duty jobs, doesn't necessarily mean, you will be good when you get to start full time basis. Same with Garrard or Billy Volek etc.

You never know about a QB, till they have started few games, especially, ones like Romo, who sometimes makes impulsive decisions, good and bad, how they will react when chips are down in playoffs or key games.

Look at JP Losman and Kelly Holcomb. They can step right in for the "slow and clumsy" Drew Bledsoe. The result, a 5-11 season and something like 60 sacks.

Romo wouldnt last 3 weeks as the starter and we'd be 0-3. Why kill a potentially good season.

superpunk

Reaction score
RCowboyFan said:

I'm right there laughing with you. I think an advanced search would be interesting to see how well Henson's "Amazing stats" in NFL Europe (I think his TD-INT ratio was a bit better than 4-3, and there was no quarter given by the bashers for INTs being his "receiver's fault").

But that ship has sailed. :)

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
theogt said:
I don't have the same expectations for undrafted FAs as I do for first rounders. Maybe its just me. After 3 years in the league he looks he's ready to start and perform well. That's quite an amazing feat out of an undrafted FA.

I would say that it's amazing he has been able to accomplish what he has considering his backround but in the big picture, thats just an aside from what the goal/expectation would be for me.

As I am only a fan, I realize that my opinion is just that, an opinion. Having said that, I just believe that any QB who is on the roster for 4 years should be able to show or justify his place on the team. If he can't, then he should not be taking a roster spot IMO. I know QBs take longer then most positions but 4 years is enough to show you can back up, IMO. Romo has ability. That is with out question. It's his decision making that I believe needs work. He's a double edged sword. He will make some plays for you but he will also give you some back. I am a guy who would rather have a QB who maybe doesn't make the big play that everybody drops there jaw on so much as a QB who is consistant with the things needed to move the offense and above all, avoids the negative plays. I believe in winning through ball control, good defense and good special teams. I know that it is not nearly as exciting as high powered offenses but it's what I would rather see. Everybody is different in this respect. To me, that is the way to win in the NFL and that is the kind of QB I would eventually like to see Romo turn into.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
Bledsoe evidently was pretty groggy on that play after being hit in the head a couple of plays before. Jones was being fussed at on the sidelines for it and Bledsoe stepped in and took the blame for the misque on the play. Drew arm was hit which resulted in the int

To me, Bledsoe's TO was not the result of poor judgement as much as it was poor execution by the offense. I can live with that kind of TO. Don't like it but it's much more palitable then the one's that come off of poor judgement.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
theogt said:
Why? Do you think they're both going to get hurt? 3 QBs isn't a necessity. The 3rd QB spot is just used for a project QB. When you have more pressing roster needs and no real project laying around the 3rd QB position is certainly expendable.

Is that your expert opinion? I think it's interesting that most teams, In the NFL, carry 3 QBs. Most of Parcells career, he has carried 3 QBs. Now it's expendable. OK. I don't see it that way.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
To me, Bledsoe's TO was not the result of poor judgement as much as it was poor execution by the offense. I can live with that kind of TO. Don't like it but it's much more palitable then the one's that come off of poor judgement.

I agree however at least what was being said on the side line from Steve Dennis he said he saw Bledsoe go over to the coaches who was fussing at Jones and Bledsoe told them it was his mistake not Jones. After that Bledsoe was being checked out from the hit to the head on the bobbled snap that happened a couple of plays before the int. I think a lot of the miscue may have been do to the hit to the head

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
I would say that it's amazing he has been able to accomplish what he has considering his backround but in the big picture, thats just an aside from what the goal/expectation would be for me.

As I am only a fan, I realize that my opinion is just that, an opinion. Having said that, I just believe that any QB who is on the roster for 4 years should be able to show or justify his place on the team. If he can't, then he should not be taking a roster spot IMO. I know QBs take longer then most positions but 4 years is enough to show you can back up, IMO. Romo has ability. That is with out question. It's his decision making that I believe needs work. He's a double edged sword. He will make some plays for you but he will also give you some back. I am a guy who would rather have a QB who maybe doesn't make the big play that everybody drops there jaw on so much as a QB who is consistant with the things needed to move the offense and above all, avoids the negative plays. I believe in winning through ball control, good defense and good special teams. I know that it is not nearly as exciting as high powered offenses but it's what I would rather see. Everybody is different in this respect. To me, that is the way to win in the NFL and that is the kind of QB I would eventually like to see Romo turn into.
Romo has been in the league for 3 years, by the way.