Romo needs competition next year...

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Alexander;2517031 said:
So 25,000 posts of delusional nonsense is better?

Fact is, being the QB of this team is different.

This is the pinnacle.

This is Roger Staubach. This is Troy Aikman.

If you can't measure up, go sit on the bench alongside Danny White and Craig Morton hoping you are remembered fondly decades from now.
And he obliterated many of their statistical records. Give the guy some time. He'll win playoff games here and hopefully he'll win a championship or too. He's too talented not to.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2517067 said:
Tony needs Norv Turner next year

this passing game isn't a Tony Romo one
Unfortunately, it doesn't look like Garrett will get many HC offers this offseason, unless we get pretty far in the playoffs. How great it would be if he left and Norv ended up as our OC?

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2517067 said:
Tony needs Norv Turner next year

this passing game isn't a Tony Romo one

I'm not as against the Norv Turner deal after having thought about it some more. He's made a very good QB out of Rivers and he made Alex Smith look mediocre when he's not even close to that.

That's a guy that will take Romo to the next level and the next level from a near 100 QB rating is pretty damn high up there.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;2517070 said:
Unfortunately, it doesn't look like Garrett will get many HC offers this offseason, unless we get pretty far in the playoffs. How great it would be if he left and Norv ended up as our OC?

that would be too sweet

but I was thinking about it, Garrett doesn't even have to leave, we can still bring in Norv, and make him the running game coordinator/co-offensive coordinator, like we did in Sparano's final year here

if we don't do anything this year in the postseason, if we even get there, I see Jerry Jones getting a little desperate

Ozzu;2517076 said:
I'm not as against the Norv Turner deal after having thought about it some more. He's made a very good QB out of Rivers and he made Alex Smith look mediocre when he's not even close to that.

That's a guy that will take Romo to the next level and the next level from a near 100 QB rating is pretty damn high up there.

at least Norv would bring a power-rushing attack here, Romo is great running bootlegs, where he can get out in space and throw the ball on the move, and is great off the play-action

but try running those now, here, where there's no semblence of a rushing attack, lol, yeah right

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2517088 said:
that would be too sweet

but I was thinking about it, Garrett doesn't even have to leave, we can still bring in Norv, and make him the running game coordinator/co-offensive coordinator, like we did in Sparano's final year here

if we don't do anything this year in the postseason, if we even get there, I see Jerry Jones getting a little desperate
Another million dollar coach to try and "fix" the most talented offense in the league. As long as someone other than Garrett is making the gameplan and calling the plays I'd be happy.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
bbgun;2517047 said:
Well I sure as hell didn't swipe the Ark of the Covenant from the ***** by thinking negatively.

No idea why but that made me LOL for real :laugh2:

RainMan

Makin' It Rain
Reaction score
WV Cowboy;2516814 said:
Speaking as a Romo fan, he has left me shaking my head more than once. He has to realize the importance of ball security.

Speaking as a coach myself, I am always looking to improve/upgrade at every position.

However this talk of replacing Romo is just that, empty talk.

Because there has to be someone available that could compete with him.

If there is someone good enough out there to compete with him, or even replace him, that would be great, bring him in.

I don't know who that is though.

Having said all of that, is it too much to ask for Romo to hit Owens (twice) or Austin when they are running behind the opposing secondary?

Exactly. Of course he must improve. But that doesn't mean we should cast him aside. It'd be absolutely ridiculous, and any fan suggesting it, frankly, deserves to be shot (figuratively -- I think).

Romo has done things that few other QBs can. He just needs to take his game up one more notch in December, learning how to win when he can't just sling it around all game. Will he ever develop that part of his game? Who knows. It's why we're staying tuned. But it's much smarter to risk whether he does than it would be to risk trying to find someone better.

DT101

Reaction score
I agree. We need at least a decent back-up, and we need to put him in when Romo is playing like crap. It'd probably motivate Romo even more. I wanted to put BJ in a few times when Romo was playing like crap (Before Romo got injured, before I knew BJ was absolute crap) just to wake Romo up.

I think Romo is our QB, and I think he should be our QB. But I do like the idea of bringing in someone to compete with him a little.

Of course, theres not a whole lot of options there. Matt Cassel will probably want a starting job and be too expensive. What about a guy like Kurt Warner? Though, he'll probably have a starting job somewhere too, if not at Arizona. But, if he leaves Arizona for some reason, I actually like the idea of Warner.

Also, like someone mentioned, I'd like Norv Turner in here.

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
RainMan;2517101 said:
Exactly. Of course he must improve. But that doesn't mean we should cast him aside. It'd be absolutely ridiculous, and any fan suggesting it, frankly, deserves to be shot (figuratively -- I think).

Romo has done things that few other QBs can. He just needs to take his game up one more notch in December, learning how to win when he can't just sling it around all game. Will he ever develop that part of his game? Who knows. It's why we're staying tuned. But it's much smarter to risk whether he does than it would be to risk trying to find someone better.

:hammer:

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;2517095 said:
Another million dollar coach to try and "fix" the most talented offense in the league. As long as someone other than Garrett is making the gameplan and calling the plays I'd be happy.

I think it's a win/win for everybody concerned

yes, even Garrett, he's still making 3 mil, and has the title of OC and Assistant HC, and who knows, maybe he learns something from this year, and him and Norval turn into the 2-headed, coaching monster

RainMan

Makin' It Rain
Reaction score
DT101;2517103 said:
I agree. We need at least a decent back-up, and we need to put him in when Romo is playing like crap. It'd probably motivate Romo even more. I wanted to put BJ in a few times when Romo was playing like crap (Before Romo got injured, before I knew BJ was absolute crap) just to wake Romo up.

I think Romo is our QB, and I think he should be our QB. But I do like the idea of bringing in someone to compete with him a little.

Of course, theres not a whole lot of options there. Matt Cassel will probably want a starting job and be too expensive. What about a guy like Kurt Warner? Though, he'll probably have a starting job somewhere too, if not at Arizona. But, if he leaves Arizona for some reason, I actually like the idea of Warner.

Also, like someone mentioned, I'd like Norv Turner in here.

Yeah. Let's sign Matt Cassel and then, following every Romo interception or two, insert Cassel into the game. The scenario is just too exciting to imagine.

Let's release Owens, trade the snitch and bench Barber while we're at it.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
CowboyPrincess;2516533 said:
I guess you missed the part about lighting a fire under his butt and getting him to play consistantly.

Are you suggesting that if he keeps performing like he did yesterday, that we continue to watch that mess til his contract expires and not have someone else in the backup position for those times when he can't perform? Johnson isn't what we need and maybe if we had someone to back up Tony that can execute when he is needed, Tony might quit acting like pinky boy and step up. I'm still a bit miffed at him for sitting on the bench holding his finger up in the air and not doing a dang thing to help when Johnson was floundering. Romo could have gotten his lazy butt up and coached Johnson... especially with a 100 million dollar contract.. as you have pointed out over and over and over in your responses in this thread... that is a pretty expensive bench warmer.

The reason I have mentioned the contract over and over and over again is that posters in this thread seem to think this is Madden and you just plug and play and erase cap hits.

Thats not how it works, there are consequences to paying mega millions to the wrong player. The fact is that the contract has already been signed so the reality of the situation is that we cant trade or cut Romo.

So that leaves either 2 options, we either start him or make him a backup. Now anybody with an IQ above ape level knows that you cant have a backup making that type of coin. So we are left with Romo as the starter regardless of how he plays, that is reality.

As far as lighting a fire under Romo, you dont think Romo and his agent realize what I just said? You dont think they realize also that the Cowboys cant trade or release Romo and that they are cannot make him a backup with his current contract?

So how exactly bringing in a QB to "compete" with Romo going to light a fire under him when he, his agent, Wade, Jerry, and the fans all know he makes too much coin to actually replace or sit?

Like it or not Romo's contract guarantees that he is the starter for at least 3-5 seasons, regardless of his play. That is what happens when you guarantee 35-40 million on a contract.

CowboyPrincess

Priceless
Reaction score
Merry Christmas...

I'm about to give you something you probably never thought you'd get from me....

100% agree with what you said

What a mess we have

Beast_from_East;2517463 said:
The reason I have mentioned the contract over and over and over again is that posters in this thread seem to think this is Madden and you just plug and play and erase cap hits.

Thats not how it works, there are consequences to paying mega millions to the wrong player. The fact is that the contract has already been signed so the reality of the situation is that we cant trade or cut Romo.

So that leaves either 2 options, we either start him or make him a backup. Now anybody with an IQ above ape level knows that you cant have a backup making that type of coin. So we are left with Romo as the starter regardless of how he plays, that is reality.

As far as lighting a fire under Romo, you dont think Romo and his agent realize what I just said? You dont think they realize also that the Cowboys cant trade or release Romo and that they are cannot make him a backup with his current contract?

So how exactly bringing in a QB to "compete" with Romo going to light a fire under him when he, his agent, Wade, Jerry, and the fans all know he makes too much coin to actually replace or sit?

Like it or not Romo's contract guarantees that he is the starter for at least 3-5 seasons, regardless of his play. That is what happens when you guarantee 35-40 million on a contract.

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
Norv is a very good OC. But could you imagine a staff with Wade as HC with Norv and Campo as assistants? That would have to be a record for bad HC's on one team at the same time.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
CowboyPrincess;2517467 said:
Merry Christmas...

I'm about to give you something you probably never thought you'd get from me....

100% agree with what you said

What a mess we have

Lets just beat Philly and make the playoffs. Looks like we are going to get the Vikes in the first round and they looked horrendous today so I think there is a chance we can beat them. I guess we will find out this weekend.

Have a Merry Christmas!!!

DT101

Reaction score
RainMan;2517118 said:
Yeah. Let's sign Matt Cassel and then, following every Romo interception or two, insert Cassel into the game. The scenario is just too exciting to imagine.

Let's release Owens, trade the snitch and bench Barber while we're at it.
Cassel would be nearly impossible to sign anyways

I'm not saying every time Tony throws in interception or two, every quarterback does. But theres times when Romo just looks downright bad.

alancdc

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2517088 said:
that would be too sweet

at least Norv would bring a power-rushing attack here, Romo is great running bootlegs, where he can get out in space and throw the ball on the move, and is great off the play-action

but try running those now, here, where there's no semblence of a rushing attack, lol, yeah right

Not saying I disagree wtih you about Norve, but in the SD game yesterday they pointed out that Norve has relied way too much on Rivers this year and really abandoned the running attack. Not sure if true or not, but just what I heard.

Disturbed

A Mere Flesh Wound
Reaction score
Romo may return to form next year, but this year the storyline is "Romo - coming up Small in Big Games".

Coming to your TV set every December.