News: Romo restructured according to the FAN

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Some of you guys are making assumptions that have no basis in fact. Saying the Cowboys would have paid Murray if Romo didn't make so much is just not true. First of all, Romo offered to take a $5 million dollar pay cut to keep Murray, so the team would be on the hook for the other $3 million if we are using the $8 million figure he got from Philly. So Romo would have been paying the majority of the contract out of his own money and the team still said no.

Why did the team say no? Stephen basically let the cat out of the bag at the owners meetings when he said that Murray needed to be consistent like Emmitt, not just blow up in a contract year. They didn't think he could or would put up the same numbers ever again if given a big fat contract with lots of guaranteed money. Kelsy Charles on Talking Cowboys basically said the same thing, that Murray was hurt every year at Oklahoma except for his final year when he was going to enter the draft and he was hurt every year in the pros, except in his contract year.

Clearly the word going around VR, correct or not, was that Murray was a "contract performer" and aint going to play with a busted hand once he got paid if you know what I mean. I don't necessarily agree with this myself, but that was the thinking at VR. If they thought he was going to put up 1900 yards again, he would still be a Cowboy.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
it gets spread out over 2 years not 3.

If Romo gets hurt this year he gets placed on the IR and his cap hit is 14m

Next year if he can't recover he is a June 1st cut and counts 12m in 2016 and 19m in 2017.

That is the absolute worst case scenario and it still saves 1m, 8m and 5m vs his cap hits right now

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
your out of touch if you think they didn't want to retain: Murray, Harris and Durant. Reality is if Dallas had more cap space they would have retained those three.

Murray and Harris likely but I have doubts about Durant. He has missed something like 20 games the past two years.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
your out of touch if you think they didn't want to retain: Murray, Harris and Durant. Reality is if Dallas had more cap space they would have retained those three.

Yes the Cowboys wanted to retain those 3 players. But there is no way they would have matched the deals those players got even if we had cap space. They were all overpaid big time.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
That is nowhere near accurate. They kept who they wanted and could get on value deals. Most of the players they lost were considered overpaid.

They have signed: Bold re-signed Cowboys
Dez 1/13m

Hardy 1/11-13m
Free 3/15m
Beasley 4/13.6m

Brinkley 2/6.5m
McClain 1/3-4m
Gachkar 2/5.2m
McFadden 2/3m
White 1/1.5m
Dunbar 1/1.5m
CJones 1/1.5m
Hayden 1/750k

Collins 1/750k
Leary 1/585k
Weems 1/585k

They lost:
Murray 5/40m
Parnell 5/32m
Carter 4/17m
Harris 5/17m
Melton 1/3.5m
Durant 3/10.5m
Moore 1/1.5m

Wow, I didn't realize Parnell got so paid. Good for him.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Not at all sure what you're saying here. I'm saying AP may or may not escape Minnesota but if so, it likely won't be to Dallas. Do you agree or disagree?

Ah, nevermind I quoted the wrong person.

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
if romo wasn't geting paid so much I do believe Dallas would have went as high as 7 million and I think Murray accepts that.

No way in the world. When are you going to accept the fact that the Cowboys wanted NOTHING to do with Demarco above the number they had in mind. This is perfectly clear now in that--

A.) They didn't restructure Tony during the Murray negotiations.
B). The team wouldn't let Romo take a pay cut and the reason I think is they did not want to be put in a situation where Romo takes the cut and they had to offer Murray more money.

Demarco Murray was a walking dead man at anything above the number they had slotted. They would've never gone to 7 million. Whatever it was, whether scared of carries, injury or even if it was the money - it was clear they were going to walk and on their terms.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
CBmIcW3UIAYxK4x.png:large

risco

Reaction score
because Dallas was going to try and get out from that monolith of contract over next 2 years. Push came to shove and Dallas finally capitulated when Carr wouldn't reduce his salary and McClain visited NE. It what happens when your leveraged to the tilt.....u end up kicking the can down the road and inevitably absorb dead money hits later. Dallas was just now getting out from that mess.

Great explanation bro- thanks.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I was actually pretty encouraged about this prospects of staying past 2017 assuming he is healthy when he talked about taking a pay cut and being amenable to it. $14m salary is bad enough but ouch on those $20m years.

Those 20m years were always just place holders for the pro-rations and to make the contract appear larger for the agents ego

Romo essentially signed a 4/68m extension covering 2014-17

If he is still playing well after 2017 I think he will rip up that deal and take a pay cut if needed