Romo should follow Nowitzki's lead (great article)

ZB9

Reaction score
khiladi;2781294 said:
Dirk's strengths are definitely not defense

Dirk is clearly not a great defender but he is an underrated defender

btw, there are no perfect players in the NBA. All of the franchise players can score at a high level, but they all have weaknesses (with the possible exception of Lebron). None of them can carry their team in every single aspect on the floor. It is a TEAM game.

and he can get abused by plenty of players in the NBA.

like who? give examples

he is not a great defender by any means obviously, but Nowitzki is a very underrated defender. It is very rare to see a power forward "going off" against Dirk

I hate to bring in actual numbers and facts into this discussion, but here are the numbers and ranks for combined offensive and defensive efficiency for each position in the NBA this season
http://www.82games.com/0809/BYPOSIT.HTM

PG #1 - New Orleans

SG #1 - Miami
SG #2 - LA Lakers

SF #1 - Cleveland

PF #1 - Dallas

C #1 - Orlando

looking at the Mavs' opponents production, the PF position had the worst production against the Mavs than any other position:
http://www.82games.com/0708/0708DAL5.HTM

im not saying those numbers mean everything, but they wouldnt have those rankings if Nowitzki was a terrible defender...again, you dont really see PF's going off against the Mavs

DFWJC

Reaction score
ZB9;2781410 said:
btw, there are no perfect players in the NBA. All of the franchise players can score at a high level, but they all have weaknesses (with the possible exception of Lebron). None of them can carry their team in every single aspect on the floor. It is a TEAM game.

LeBron is not considered a good defender at all. But he does pretty much everything else well.

I would say LeBron is the most dominant player, but Kobe is the best all-around player. He has very few, if any, weakness in his game. But even he cannot completely carry his team night in and night out.

If Cleveland wins the title I'd have to say that puts Lebron up there as the best player to win one without a true star playing with him...though Cleveland does have nice all around team.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
casmith07;2781370 said:
KG isn't soft.

Yep, "soft" guys get multiple teeth knocked out and then calmly walk to the line and sink their free throws.

Dirk will always be called soft by people who don't pay attention because he's european and polite. That doesn't mean he's a wuss. See the example of Wade and the wheelchair above.

DFWJC

Reaction score
ZB9;2781410 said:
Dirk is clearly not a great defender but he is an underrated defender

like who? give examples

he is not a great defender by any means obviously, but Nowitzki is a very underrated defender. It is very rare to see a power forward "going off" against Dirk

I hate to bring in actual numbers and facts into this discussion, but here are the numbers and ranks for combined offensive and defensive efficiency for each position in the NBA this season
http://www.82games.com/0809/BYPOSIT.HTM

PG #1 - New Orleans

SG #1 - Miami
SG #2 - LA Lakers

SF #1 - Cleveland

PF #1 - Dallas

C #1 - Orlando

looking at the Mavs' opponents production, the PF position had the worst production against the Mavs than any other position:
http://www.82games.com/0708/0708DAL5.HTM

im not saying those numbers mean everything, but they wouldnt have those rankings if Nowitzki was a terrible defender...again, you dont really see PF's going off against the Mavs

Good post. Hard to dispute this.

I agree that he has become an adequate defender but nothing special. Both Carlisle and Avery said he progressed a ton in that area. Of course, he had plenty of room to do so!

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
This is the thread that never ends,
it just goes on and on my friends.
People, started posting here, not knowing what it was,
and people, keep on posting here forever just because...

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Nav22;2781214 said:
You still missed.

Is it a coincidence that the best player of the '90s (Mike) won 6 titles? Is it a coincidence that the 2 best players today (Kobe and LeBron) are on the 2 best teams?

Dirk has proven beyond any reasonable doubt that he's a step behind the likes of Kobe, LeBron, and D-Wade. It's no surprise that they're winning titles (or are on their way) and Dirk isn't.

If the Mavs were to win the title next year (which they won't), Dirk would be in competition with Chauncey Billups in 2004... as the worst #1 player on a championship team since sometime before 1990.

Jordan
Olajuwon
Duncan
O'Neal/Bryant
Wade
Garnett

All better players than Dirk Nowitzki.
What you're NOT acknowledging is that all of those guys had #2 and #3 options better than anything Dirk's ever had.

And Billups wasn't the number one guy on the Pistons title team. It was Rip.

ZB9

Reaction score
DFWJC;2781426 said:
LeBron is not considered a good defender at all. But he does pretty much everything else well.

I dont know man. Lebron has really improved in that area. He cant go all out on D all of the time because he is needed on offense obviously, and because of foul trouble...but Lebron can be a really good defender when he focuses on it. He is a better team help defender though than on ball defender imo.

I would say LeBron is the most dominant player, but Kobe is the best all-around player. He has very few, if any, weakness in his game. But even he cannot completely carry his team night in and night out.

I agree. I think a main reason for that is Kobe has been in the league longer, and is a very cerebral player. Combine his intelligence and experience with some of the best physical skills of all time and Bryant is the closest player we have seen to MJ imo. It says a lot though that even he needs another superstar on his team to win a championship

Kobe might be the closest to MJ, but Lebron might eventually be the only player with a chance to actually surpass Jordan. The scary thing about Lebron is he is only 24 and is already a great all around player. We could be watching the future GOAT. MJ wasnt as good at the age of 24 as Lebron James is right now

we are lucky to be able to watch those two players. I really hope we get to see them in the finals (but that the NBA doesnt have to go WWE to make that happen, which they havent yet this playoffs)

If Cleveland wins the title I'd have to say that puts Lebron up there as the best player to win one without a true star playing with him...though Cleveland does have nice all around team.

I think you are right. There is a lot of talent and balance on Cleveland, but I cant think of another championship team with less "stars". There are no Scottie Pippens or Shaqs on this Cavs squad.

fan62

Reaction score
Come back and I will say I was wrong when Dirk leads Dallas to 6 titles or possibly even one.
Friends - it aint going to happen - ever! (Not if Dirk is the team leader.)

dadymat

I'm kind of a Big Deal
Reaction score
this thread is so far beyond being a Cowboy thread anymore...its not even a football thread anymore..............should have been moved a long time ago

Nav22

Reaction score
I shouldn't get into this again, but Dirk is exactly like Garnett was in Minnesota.
Garnett can dominate the paint on both ends, and has been named to the All-Defensive 1st team 7 times and All-Defensive 2nd team 2 times.

Defense has always been a big part of Garnett's game... his defensive game is even more impressive than his offensive game, which is saying something.

Dirk, needless to say, has never been on an All-Defensive team.

Average defense from your #1 player has an undeniably strong correlation with NOT winning a championship. It's amazing how many homers insist on turning a blind eye to it. (Not talking to you specifically on that, Chocolate Lab)

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
glorydaysrback;2776006 said:
Let me put this lightly, if Romo takes a few pages out of Dirks book and ultimately winds up having a career like Dirk, I will be more than dissapointed.

You'll be dissapointed if Romo becomes the winningest QB in team history (regular and postseason) with more passing yards and TDs than anyone in team history?

I hope you don't hold such lofty standards when it comes to dating :rolleyes:

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31;2781619 said:
You'll be dissapointed if Romo becomes the winningest QB in team history (regular and postseason) with more passing yards and TDs than anyone in team history?

I hope you don't hold such lofty standards when it comes to dating :rolleyes:

.....and never wins a championship, including a royal choke in the championship?

I hope you don't hold such ridiculously low standards when it comes to dating :rolleyes:

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
casmith07;2781645 said:
.....and never wins a championship, including a royal choke in the championship?

Dirk has never been the reason the Mavericks havent won a championship. When Nelson was the coach, it was a lack of perimeter defense (Nash and Van Exel were HORRID defenders). When Avery was here, it was a lack of late game coaching (Dallas won so many games by huge margins people forget how bad of a coach Avery was in the last two minutes).

And anybody who watched that series knows Dirk didnt choke it away. He averaged 20 and 10. Dallas lost because 1: They relaxed up 2-0 and 2: The NBA decided to give Dwyane Wade his own personal parade to the FT line. He single-handidly out shot Dallas at the FT line in two of the final four games.

Nav22

Reaction score
Dirk has never been the reason the Mavericks havent won a championship. When Nelson was the coach, it was a lack of perimeter defense (Nash and Van Exel were HORRID defenders).
Rule #1: if you're a Dirk apologist, you can't complain about the mediocre D of others.

And he may not have been the primary reason for defeats, but he sure as hell wasn't the solution vs. Miami or vs. Golden State.

Ya know, back when the championship window was... open.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Nav22;2781670 said:
Rule #1: if you're a Dirk apologist, you can't complain about the mediocre D of others.

And he may not have been the primary reason for defeats, but he sure as hell wasn't the solution vs. Miami or vs. Golden State.

Ya know, back when the championship window was... open.

Dirk has slowly but surely improved his defense to the point where he is at least no longer a major liability and at times can even make a play or two.

The Miami and Golden State series proved that guys like Jerry Stackhouse, Jason Terry, and Erick Dampier and simply cannot handle the bigtime when pressure is on. Dallas hasnt had a clutch role player since Van Exel. GS doubled Dirk constantly and forced other guys to take open shots. And they consistantly missed.

Lebron James, on the other hand, has role players who hit big shots. Mo Williams and David West have been clutch this year. Same with Duncan's championship teams. Tim Duncan, great as he is, probably only has one championship if not for guys like Mario Ellie, Avery Johnson, Robert Horry and Steve Kerr. You have to guys who can hit big shots when the star gets doubled.

ZB9

Reaction score
Nav22;2781574 said:
Garnett can dominate the paint on both ends, and has been named to the All-Defensive 1st team 7 times and All-Defensive 2nd team 2 times.

Defense has always been a big part of Garnett's game... his defensive game is even more impressive than his offensive game, which is saying something.

Dirk, needless to say, has never been on an All-Defensive team.

Average defense from your #1 player has an undeniably strong correlation with NOT winning a championship. It's amazing how many homers insist on turning a blind eye to it. (Not talking to you specifically on that, Chocolate Lab)

yet Garnett had problems making the playoffs or even getting out of the first round until he was paired with two other perennial all-star HOFers

continue on with your agenda...

ZB9

Reaction score
HeavyHitta31;2781681 said:
Lebron James, on the other hand, has role players who hit big shots. Mo Williams and David West have been clutch this year. Same with Duncan's championship teams. Tim Duncan, great as he is, probably only has one championship if not for guys like Mario Ellie, Avery Johnson, Robert Horry and Steve Kerr. You have to guys who can hit big shots when the star gets doubled.

Lebron tonight is a good example. He played an AWESOME game, dropping 49

However, no one else on his team was much of a factor (Mo Williams went 6-19) and Cleveland's bench had a total of 5 points tonight...which is why Cleveland lost.

Lebron needs other players to step up so he doesnt have to carry so much of the load and be gassed and cramping up at the end of the game like he was tonight.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Well in fairness to Nowinski they win a lot of games and make the playoffs often, even make past the 1st round.

Nav22

Reaction score
yet Garnett had problems making the playoffs or even getting out of the first round until he was paired with two other perennial all-star HOFers
*Yawn* A defensive stalwart led his team to a title last year. Were you surprised? Because it happened the year before, too. And the year before that. And the year before that.

It's happened every... single... year... since at least the late '80s.

And it will continue to happen every single year...

Unless good ol' Dirk can break the streak!!! Keep those fingers crossed, guys!!!
Dirk has slowly but surely improved his defense to the point where he is at least no longer a major liability and at times can even make a play or two.
He's still average defensively, and history SCREAMS AT US that "average D" is NOT enough from your #1 player in order to win a title.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Average defense from your #1 player has an undeniably strong correlation with NOT winning a championship.

D-Wade: Average defender

Shaq: Average defender (Though his size and ability to throw his weight around hides this pretty well)

Paul Pierce: Average defender (Really could be called a bad defender until Rivers got there)

Hell, Lebron James is a pretty average defender, but there isnt a soul alive willing to bet he never wins a title

Incredibly misguided post