Romo should follow Nowitzki's lead (great article)

ZB9

Reaction score
khiladi;2778687 said:
BTW, Golden State beat the Mavericks that year 3 out of 3 times in the regular season. It wasn't as if they did anything new, and Dirk had plenty of time to learn how to adjust and make it happen in the play-offs.

like I said, they double and tripled Dirk throughout the series. Nellie was not going to let Dirk beat them...Nowitzki is not a ball handler that is going to beat double and triple teams. The guards have to step up when that happens, and they did not step up obviously. No one on the Mavs made GS pay for swarming Dirk

The Mavs also happened to have a rookie coach, with zero coaching experience before coaching the Mavs, that was clearly not the greatest at adjustments [/understatement]. Nellie knew this, considering he basically hand picked Avery as head coach of the Mavericks.

Q_the_man

Reaction score
DFWJC;2776076 said:
I don't blame Tony. I'm actually a Romo fan. Just saying that if Romo lights it up at the end of every season and during the playoffs the way Dirk has historically (top five in history statistically) he will CARRY us to Super Bowls wins because he'll be surrounded by plety of talent.

I'm pulling for him to do so. Tony is one of my favorite players.

Just to let you know Dirt is not top 5 historically stat wise, he just in a group that avg 25 points and 10 reb...... For example Wilt career playoff avg is 24 pts and 22 rebs, that's better than Dirt's 25 and 11 easily....Dirt is good don't get me wrong but he's not even top 20 in career playoff stats.

They can do anything they want to with stats. Kareem, Wilt, Russell, Bird,Karl Malone and many, many others had better career playoffs stats than Dirt, and the only reason why theirs not more 25 and 10 guys is that the other players stats went down later in their careers.....Just like Dirts stats will when he turns 37 and makes the playoff he'll end up career wise around 24 and 10.

Dirt is awesome and a great player, put him on a team with a Lebron or Kobe and he will win a ring or 3.........But in Romos case he had like 7 probowlers on offense. Romo is good but to me he doesn't have that killer instinct, hopefully I'm wrong but so far he has that I don't care attitude....

ZB9

Reaction score
Q_the_man;2778706 said:
They can do anything they want to with stats. Kareem, Wilt, Russell, Bird,Karl Malone and many, many others had better career playoffs stats than Dirt, and the only reason why theirs not more 25 and 10 guys is that the other players stats went down later in their careers.....Just like Dirts stats will when he turns 37 and makes the playoff he'll end up career wise around 24 and 10.

lol Wilt, Kareem, and Russell were all dominant CENTERS. That is an ENTIRELY different subject

as far as Bird and Malone. Im not saying Dirk is in Bird's league as a player. Only 5 players in the history of the league are in Bird's league all time imo...and stats dont say everything, but it is interesting how their career playoff stats compare

Dirk: 25.2 PPG/11.1 RPG/2.6 APG/1.2 SPG/1.0 BPG/2.18 TOPG

Bird: 23.8 PPG/10.3 RPG/6.5 APG/1.8 SPG/0.8 BPG/3.09 TOPG

again, stats dont say everything when "comparing" players, I agree. However, Dirk and Malone's career playoff averages are similar thus far as well

Dirk: 25.2 PPG/11.1 RPG/2.6 APG/1.2 SPG/1.0 BPG/2.18 TOPG

Malone: 24.7 PPG/10.7 RPG/3.2 APG/1.3 SPG/0.7 BPG/2.85 TOPG

Dirt is awesome and a great player, put him on a team with a Lebron or Kobe and he will win a ring or 3.........But in Romos case he had like 7 probowlers on offense. Romo is good but to me he doesn't have that killer instinct, hopefully I'm wrong but so far he has that I don't care attitude....

The main thing Romo needs to do (besides PLAY BETTER down the stretch and in the playoffs obviously) is be more accountable imho. You would never hear Aikman or Big Ben blow off a loss in public or be extra sensitive in deflecting blame of a loss from themselves. When you are accountable yourself, it is easier to hold your teammates accountable (which is what a QB HAS to do imo)

I agree with you about Romo's "killer instinct". I dont know if Romo is one of the top competitors in the league at the QB position, and being a tougher competitor is the main thing that seperates good players at the QB position imo.

His playoff failures thus far will make Romo better going forward imo. Romo WILL improve imo. As far as the article, I dont know how possible it is to compare the QB of the Dallas Cowboys to an NBA PF...but the one thing about Nowitzki that we can hope Romo will emulate is Nowitzki's extreme competitiveness on the court. Dirk always leaves everything on the court, and he usually raises his game in big games and in the playoffs. Unfortunately, Romo has not been that way thus far in his career.

Nav22

Reaction score
I think there's some confusion here. I'm holding Dirk to a championship-level standard, because (I assume) that's what Mavs fans want... a championship.

I'm not suggesting that Dirk isn't a very good player.

I'm not surprised that he's one of the few guys to average 25 and 10, and I'm not surprised that he's been able to lead the Mavericks to many playoff victories in his career.

Dirk can ball, no doubt.

But there's a difference between "very good" and "great".

When I say "great", I'm talking about Kobe, LeBron, Duncan, Shaq (in his prime), etc. CHAMPIONSHIP-level. The kind of player who can will his team to a title as the alpha dog.

These players aren't only terrific on 1 end of the floor, like Dirk is. They tear it up both offensively and defensively. Fellas, you can put the spin cycle on full blast, and you still won't be able to deny this. Defense wins championships... check the 2003-04 Pistons, who won it all with an outstanding defense despite the lack of a truly great scorer.

If it's a championship you want, you won't get it with Dirk as the best player on your team.

But give him a GREAT player to play with, like the one Pau Gasol has with the Lakers or the one Mo Williams has with the Cavs, and Dirk could not only win multiple championships, but he could be 1/2 of the best duo in the NBA.
Do you consider Tim Duncan dominant offensively? How about Shaq in his prime? Were they versatile? Did they need to learn to shoot the 3, or hell even make free throws to be dominant offensively??
Re-read my previous post. I stated that Dirk's need to be truly dominant offensively exists because of the fact that he's not a very good defender.

No, I don't consider Duncan to be truly dominant offensively. But he's possibly the best defensive power forward that we've ever seen. He's a much better overall player than Dirk is, and even the most staunch Dirk supporter can't deny that. Those 4 championships and 3 Finals MVP awards didn't come by accident.

Shaq absolutely was dominant offensively, and you're right, he wasn't versatile. He was a once-in-a-generation monster who could absolutely waste you in the low post, and did it on a regular basis.

I hope you're not comparing Dirk's midrange game to Shaq's low post game. The fact that Shaq's scoring averages were much higher than Dirk's should tell you something, especially considering the facts that Shaq couldn't shoot FTs or 3 pointers. He was such a beast down low that those shortcomings didn't stop him from being, hands-down, the most dominant NBA player not named Michael Jordan throughout the '90s and early 2000s.

juck

Reaction score
ZB9;2778633 said:
It's incredible how many people posting in this thread don't know much about basketball at all. Anybody who has actually watched Nowitzki's career would remember the countless number of times he won tough games playing through injuries. Or after getting his teeth knocked out mid-game. Or winning tough playoff games as an underdog on the road.

This is the player who sent Tim Duncan, Karl Malone, Pau Gasol, and Kevin Garnett home for the season, after winning gruelling one-on-one match-ups in several playoff series. How can anybody call a player like that a "softie"? Fans tend to ignore all the great things about him, and focus on the little flaws.

He's been voted League MVP once, All-NBA nine times, and All-Star eight times. All of this as a result of players, coaches, and media balloting.

Just some facts...
-According to stats compiled by 82games.com, Dirk Nowitzki ranked #3 in 2007-8 Scoring Clutch Time... right behind Lebron James & Kobe Bryant.
-Since 2003, only 6 players have made more game winning shots than Dirk Nowitzki.
-His impressive stats in 97(!) career playoff games are actually higher than his career regular season stats: 25.4/11.2 -vs- 22.7/8.6.
-One year after Nash & Finley jumped ship and left the Mavs for dead, Dirk Nowitzki stepped up his game to become League MVP in 2006
-Mavericks average record in the 8 years before the start of the Nowitzki era: 22-60
-Mavericks average record in the 10 (non-strike) years of the Nowitzki era: 55-27
-Nowitzki led the Mavericks to their only NBA Finals apperance in franchise history
-Nowitzki has led the Mavericks to 9 consecutive 50-win seasons. Since 1967, only the Lakers & Spurs Dynasties have surpassed that feat.
-Mavs' current streak of 9 straight playoff appearances is 2nd longest in the league, behind the Spurs.
-Selected to 8 consecutive All-Star TEams
-Selected to 9 consecutive All-NBA Teams
-First Team All-NBA in 4 of the past 5 years
-Nowitzki was the first foreign player drafted in the lottery without any experience with American basketball
-Nowitzki's success opened the door for a deluge of European and Asian players drafted with lottery picks.
-Consistent winner despite playing through FOUR complete roster overhauls under THREE different head coaches
-Since 1998, the Lakers & Mavericks are the only teams to have defeated Tim Duncan in a playoff series. Dirk has done it twice (2006, 2009)

hipsterdoofus7 said it right

Not bad for a soft goofy lanky white hombre from Germany.;) Another thing about him is he is quiet.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Being a fan of Journey's music > being a fan of David Hasselhoff's music

Randy White

Reaction score
dirk.jpg

David H ist ein cutie...

Hooga chakka hooga hooga, hooga chakka hooga hoooga

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62S1vws4y7s

dadymat

I'm kind of a Big Deal
Reaction score
steve-nash-dirk-nowitzki-3-drunk-pictures-400x300.jpg

http://i102.***BLOCKED***/albums/m109/dadymat/steve-nash-dirk-nowitzki-2-drunk-pi.jpg

steve-nash-dirk-nowitzki-drunk-pictures-400x300.jpg

imagine if pics of Romo like these ever surfaced......

WarC

Reaction score
juckie;2778915 said:
Not bad for a soft goofy lanky white hombre from Germany.;) Another thing about him is he is quiet.

He is not the exception, for those of us of German blood. :D

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Nav22;2778886 said:
I think there's some confusion here. I'm holding Dirk to a championship-level standard, because (I assume) that's what Mavs fans want... a championship.
What does this even mean? You're holding him to a championship-level standard, but not guys like Josh Howard, Jason Terry, or whoever else you want to throw out there from whatever team?

But there's a difference between "very good" and "great".

When I say "great", I'm talking about Kobe, LeBron, Duncan, Shaq (in his prime), etc. CHAMPIONSHIP-level. The kind of player who can will his team to a title as the alpha dog.
LeBron hasn't won a title. Shaq didn't do it without Kobe or Dwyane Wade, and vice versa. Duncan didn't do it without Robinson, Parker, Ginobli, etc.

It takes a team, and Dirk hasn't had the team to do it yet. This is just like people blaming Romo for failures in December when it should fall on the whole team.

These players aren't only terrific on 1 end of the floor, like Dirk is. They tear it up both offensively and defensively. Fellas, you can put the spin cycle on full blast, and you still won't be able to deny this. Defense wins championships... check the 2003-04 Pistons, who won it all with an outstanding defense despite the lack of a truly great scorer.
Rip Hamilton and Chauncey Billups were pretty durned good scorers.

Besides the defensive concept in the NBA is more about team defense, rotations, defending the pick and roll, etc. I don't care how good one guy is defensively, if he doesn't have the effort from the entire team, NBA offenses are good enough to expose the weakness.

If it's a championship you want, you won't get it with Dirk as the best player on your team.
The Mavs were 48 minutes and 30 seconds from doing it in 2006. At that point you wouldn't have said this. Because they ended up losing, you think you can make an absolute qualifier like that? Hindsight is great isn't it?

Dirk was a top 5 player in this league this year. He's better than everyone on the Nuggets team, and they're still in the running. If they end up winning (and a number of people think they just might), then your point would be bogus. Because if he were on that team now he would be the best player, and surely with him added the Nuggets would be getting more people picking them.

But give him a GREAT player to play with, like the one Pau Gasol has with the Lakers or the one Mo Williams has with the Cavs, and Dirk could not only win multiple championships, but he could be 1/2 of the best duo in the NBA.
This is almost always the case. Like I said, Kobe hasn't won without Shaq and LeBron hasn't won a title yet. 99% of the time you have to have more than one great player. Garnett didn't do it on his own, Shaq didn't, Duncan didn't. I know everyone loves to have this ideallyc opinion that if you just have the one generational player, you can win all the titles you want. It's not the case. It's a myth.

Re-read my previous post. I stated that Dirk's need to be truly dominant offensively exists because of the fact that he's not a very good defender.
What's your definition of truly dominant offensively? He was the number 4 scorer in the league, 4 points per game behind Dwyane Wade, with LeBron at 2 and Kobe at 3, and one percentage point behind Wade and LeBron in shooting %, and one point better than Kobe. Sounds dominant to me.

No, I don't consider Duncan to be truly dominant offensively. But he's possibly the best defensive power forward that we've ever seen. He's a much better overall player than Dirk is, and even the most staunch Dirk supporter can't deny that. Those 4 championships and 3 Finals MVP awards didn't come by accident.
How many dominant offensive players are on your list? Sounds like you have unrealistic expectations.

Shaq absolutely was dominant offensively, and you're right, he wasn't versatile. He was a once-in-a-generation monster who could absolutely waste you in the low post, and did it on a regular basis.
Well I thought if someone wanted to be truly dominant offensively, they had to be versatile??

I hope you're not comparing Dirk's midrange game to Shaq's low post game. The fact that Shaq's scoring averages were much higher than Dirk's should tell you something, especially considering the facts that Shaq couldn't shoot FTs or 3 pointers. He was such a beast down low that those shortcomings didn't stop him from being, hands-down, the most dominant NBA player not named Michael Jordan throughout the '90s and early 2000s.
Why would anyone compare a midrange game to a low post game? They're completely different...

I hope you're not of the opinion that because Shaq had 80 pounds on Dirk and therefore he can knock anyone out of his way and dunk the ball and tear down the rim that he's more dominant offensively than Dirk.

The POINT is that they were and are both dominant in what they did offensively. Whether they're versatile or not.

Nav22

Reaction score
What does this even mean? You're holding him to a championship-level standard, but not guys like Josh Howard, Jason Terry, or whoever else you want to throw out there from whatever team?
The thread is about Dirk.

Since the author of the thread and many others agree that Romo needs to be more like Dirk, he is the guy under my microscope.

If a similar thread was made about Tracy McGrady or another good-but-not-great NBA star who only plays well on one end of the floor, I'd be making similar points.
LeBron hasn't won a title.
Hah. Give him about a month. It's either LeBron or Kobe (minus Shaq) this year, so pick your poison.
It takes a team, and Dirk hasn't had the team to do it yet.
Just because Dirk hasn't done it, that doesn't mean he's good enough and it's the team around him that sucks.

Dirk has played with Steve Nash (2x MVP), Josh Howard (1x All-Star), Jason Terry (6th Man of the Year), and Jason Kidd (9x All-Star). Kidd isn't what he once was, but he's still a very solid starting PG.

He had a supporting cast as good or better than what Miami had in 2006, and it didn't matter. The best player in the series (Wade) took over, and Dirk couldn't respond. He wasn't good enough.
This is just like people blaming Romo for failures in December when it should fall on the whole team.
No, it isn't "just like that".

A football team has 22 starters, not including special teams. A basketball team has 5 starters. Superstar talent is a lot more important in basketball than it is in football, since football is much more of a team game.
Besides the defensive concept in the NBA is more about team defense, rotations, defending the pick and roll, etc. I don't care how good one guy is defensively, if he doesn't have the effort from the entire team, NBA offenses are good enough to expose the weakness.
That's true... but Dirk isn't a good defender, now is he?

Let's see if you can tackle that one head-on without any spin.
The Mavs were 48 minutes and 30 seconds from doing it in 2006. At that point you wouldn't have said this. Because they ended up losing, you think you can make an absolute qualifier like that? Hindsight is great isn't it?
1) Yes, hindsight is great. Because of hindsight, we can now say that Tom Brady in the 6th round was a monumentally GREAT draft pick. Something we couldn't have said before Brady first took the field in 2001. We all use hindsight multiple times every day to make judgments on just about anything.

2) You said yourself that "Dirk hasn't had the team", didn't you? So if I'm guilty of an improper absolute qualifier, then so are you.

3) Shoulda, woulda, coulda. Maybe if Dirk was a better player, he wouldn't have allowed the Mavs to blow it vs. Miami. Maybe he wouldn't have been a no-show in Game 6 in Oakland.
Dirk was a top 5 player in this league this year.
I don't know about top 5, but even if that's the case, so what? Isn't the goal a championship?

Karl Malone was very good for many years. Ditto Charles Barkley, Dominique Wilkins, Clyde Drexler, Allen Iverson, etc.

None of these guys were good enough to carry their team to a title. Clyde finally got his ring after teaming up with Hakeem and accepting the #2 role... which is what I believe Dirk will need to do if he wants a ring.
He's better than everyone on the Nuggets team, and they're still in the running. If they end up winning (and a number of people think they just might), then your point would be bogus.
My point won't be bogus because the Nuggets aren't winning crap. If they get past the Lakers (which I doubt), Cleveland will smoke them in the Finals.

But I'll be happy to eat my crow if Denver wins it all.
He was the number 4 scorer in the league, 4 points per game behind Dwyane Wade, with LeBron at 2 and Kobe at 3, and one percentage point behind Wade and LeBron in shooting %, and one point better than Kobe. Sounds dominant to me.
Whatever you want to call him, it's not good enough.

The 3 guys you just mentioned are all better offensively AND defensively than Dirk, and those are the guys who are either winning titles or are on the verge of winning a title.

They are the competition. They are the Jordan/Duncan/Olajuwon to Dirk's Malone/Drexler/Barkley. The great vs. the very good.

What happened when Dirk squared off with the aforementioned Wade? Dirk was 29-75 (38.7%) after Game 2 in the Finals, while Wade was 48-95 (50.5%) over that same stretch.

Great vs. very good.
How many dominant offensive players are on your list? Sounds like you have unrealistic expectations.
Only a few.

The expectations are perfectly valid if your goal is an NBA Championship. Since Dirk doesn't do it on both ends of the court (like a Tim Duncan), his offensive game needs to be up there with Kobe, LeBron, and Wade if he wants a title.
Well I thought if someone wanted to be truly dominant offensively, they had to be versatile??
I never said that. I said versatility is ideal, as the best offensive players in the game today can torch you in many different ways.

Shaq was an exception, because he was SO good in the low post that he didn't need to do anything else.
I hope you're not of the opinion that because Shaq had 80 pounds on Dirk and therefore he can knock anyone out of his way and dunk the ball and tear down the rim that he's more dominant offensively than Dirk.
I'm of the opinion that Shaq was better offensively because in his prime, he was downright impossible to defend 1-on-1 (unlike Dirk) and because his offensive numbers trump Dirk's.
The POINT is that they were and are both dominant in what they did offensively. Whether they're versatile or not.
Shaq was better both offensively and defensively. Dirk is not, and never will be, in the class of Shaq in his prime.

Which isn't saying much, considering Shaq is one of the very best to ever play the game.

ZB9

Reaction score
Nav22, your double standard is absolutely ridiculous

according to you, I guess there have only been a very small handful of great players in the NBA in this era, considering only 7 teams have won the championship in the past 25 years

again, Dallas was a Salvatore bail out whistle with 1.8 seconds left from winning a championship. Nowitzki has already shown that he can "lead" his team to a championship. It would be pretty chicken **** for anyone who watched those finals to hold the WWE crap in that series against Dirk.

Nav22

Reaction score
according to you, I guess there have only been a very small handful of great players in the NBA in this era, considering only 7 teams have won the championship in the past 25 years
If you want a championship from the Mavs, you'll have to raise your standards. I'm sorry if the cold dose of reality gave you goosebumps.

And there's a reason that only 7 teams have won the title over that span. Read my previous post, especially the part about "great vs. very good".
Nowitzki has already shown that he can "lead" his team to a championship.
That's true in the Bizarro World. Bizarro Dirk is a 5-time Champ!

Bizarro Tim Duncan is a marshmallow-soft 7 footer who can't D up and who has choked away his championship window. Sounds eerily familiar...
It would be pretty chicken **** for anyone who watched those finals to hold the WWE crap in that series against Dirk.
Chicken**** is crying about the officiating when your team had a 2-0 edge and was ~4 minutes away from taking a 3-0 lead, before choking it away and giving Miami life.

But it's much easier to just blame the refs than it is to acknowledge the chink in your team's armor.

How about the fact that Dirk shot 38.7% from the field in games 3-6 while D-Wade shot 50.5% over that same span? Was that on the refs too?

Great vs. very good.

Venger

Reaction score
casmith07;2776565 said:
Dirk is not Top 5. Lebron, Kobe, Dwight Howard, Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Dwayne Wade, Tony Parker, Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett, Ray Allen, Hedo Turkoglu, Rashard Lewis, Brandon Roy, Chris Bosh are all better to name a few off the top of my head. Nor is he a power forward. He's a 7 foot 2-guard and that's why the Mavs will never win a thing.
Your basketball card is hereby revoked.

HEDO TURKOGLU?

Some posts set the thought bar very low, and some posts, like this, kick it onto the ground.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Venger;2780041 said:
Your basketball card is hereby revoked.

HEDO TURKOGLU?

Some posts set the thought bar very low, and some posts, like this, kick it onto the ground.

welcome to like page 4, bro.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Nav22;2779215 said:
3) Shoulda, woulda, coulda. Maybe if Dirk was a better player, he wouldn't have allowed the Mavs to blow it vs. Miami. Maybe he wouldn't have been a no-show in Game 6 in Oakland.I don't know about top 5, but even if that's the case, so what? Isn't the goal a championship?
OK, you've taken us on enough tangents in this thread. I'll just leave you with this thought to show you how wrong you are. Every year 29 teams DON'T win a title. And they have some great players. Like I said LeBron hasn't done it by himself, Kobe hasn't done it by himself, nor has Wade (who also had Shaq on his title team).

Wade wasn't good enough to "not allow" his team to blow it versus Atlanta this year. So I guess he doesn't meet your criteria. LeBron wasn't good enough to do it against the Spurs a few years ago, so the same applies. Kobe wasn't last year, etc. etc.

This year either the Cavs or the Lakers is going to lose. And once again it will apply.

Winning a title isn't about one guy. Sorry if you think it is. It's about everything falling together perfectly for one team... that is the great players, and the role players, and the team defense all play good enough to win it. If your criteria for being a great player is carrying a team to a title by one's self, then no one fits the bill.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
This is the thread that never ends,
it just goes on and on my friends.
People, started posting here, not knowing what it was,
and people, keep on posting here forever just because...