Romo to speak to the media today at 4:15 CDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tony said Dak has earned the starting job, which is true. Up to now, though, his competition has been Mark Sanchez. Once Tony is in uniform and active, Dak will have some serious competition for the first time. Tony told us his competitive fires are still burning as brightly as ever. He wanted us to know he's still in the competition, and knowing Tony, he has every intention of winning.
Practices will be competitive but the official decision has been made for 2016. Romo's year will be 2017 and outside of Dallas. Selfishly, I hope he's quarterbacking in the AFC. The best of luck to him, except if-and-when he plays Dallas that is.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
If teams win Super Bowls not players why are you mad Dak is QBing over Romo. You make it seem like it doesn't matter who the QB is because teams win Super Bowls. QB is the leader of the team it's the most vital position in all of sports stop making excuses for Romo he put up nice stats yes but he's responsible for 2 playoff wins and 2 week 17 losses that would have gotten us in the playoffs. Tom Brady is the greatest of all time other than possibly Joe Montana no one other than a biased Romo fan would put the two on the same level. I say this as a New England hater I can't stand them but I just call it like it is.
Who's mad? I said it irks me that this wouldn't have happened if an analogous situation happened to Brady. I don't care if he's been to so many Super Bowls. It would be equivalent to Dan Marino losing his job to a rookie too. Brady also has arguably the greatest coach ever in the game coaching for him too. And it's like you ignored everything I said about it being a team game by blaming Romo for two playoff wins and two week seventeen losses. Sorry, that's just contrived nonsense lacking in nuance. It's like giving all the credit to Dak for being 8-1 right now. It doesn't work for anybody who has a semblance of football knowledge.

It's just a little disrespectful as an organization to do this to a player like Tony.

Last edited:

LittleLexodus

Reaction score
Bro, it hit me right in the feels. Seeing him mature since 2006 and going through the ups and downs each season...

I hope he gets one last crack at it. Even if it's not with Dallas...

Proof

Reaction score
I love you for being the classiest QB in the NFL. For putting this team first, despite your own ambitions. For not distracting Dak, or the rest of the team, with your own interests. I love you for all that you have endured while Jerry failed you for your whole career, and not holding a grudge. Never complaining, never blaming anyone else, a stark contrast in this day and age of entitled finger pointing.

What a true champion in heart you are. I love you that you will always be a part of the Dallas Cowboys franchise, championship or not, and I love you that you were a part of our team, our starting QB, for a decade.

Every franchise couldn't be so lucky as to have a true pro like you. I love you that you were my QB and I can't wait to see where your life takes you next. Whether it's back on the field or elsewhere.

Tony Romo. America's QB.

Really sums up my feelings. Great post, great press conference, great QB.

Was tough to listen to, my heart goes out to tony, still a fan of the team first though

khiladi

Reaction score
Romo has ever right to start on this team
taking the beating he has for "I can't adjust to a blitz" Garrett when the OC, OL built by Callahan and potentially the greatest RB to play the game are now in place..

He'll be back starting by the end of the season..

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
By the time the Cowboys finally have a team to put around Romo to win it all, his body broke down from all those years getting crushed on bad teams he made relevant by himself.

Tony Romo is a warrior. I hope all Cowboys fans realize what he's sacrificed, physically and mentally, for this franchise. In my mind, he's a champion.
He gave his all for the team. You can't take that away from him. I sure hope he has no long term effects.

weaver21

Reaction score
As a massive Tony Romo fan, that was gut-wrenching for me to see. Damn it, this franchise failed him. By the time we built him a good team for him, his body was broken from all the abuse he took from carrying this team for years. The fact that I've possibly seen the last of Tony in a Cowboys uniform is just hard to process and I can't imagine him wearing another uniform.

I know he's not retiring or anything, but it almost felt like he was saying goodbye to Cowboys nation and that's hard to accept for me. I am so proud that he's taken the high road and declared he will support and have Dak's back. Love you, Tony. Big time respect for that speech.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Romo the ultimate competitor essentially gave a concession speech which completely goes against his makeup as an athlete who has excelled individually at every level. You can even sense the battle he's dealing with within listening to the presser. Professional sports can suck for the athlete in times like this. Fortunately for him, he still has some gas in the tank and can finish the final chapters of his career. Unfortunately for him, probably with another franchise. Respect.

loublue22

Reaction score
Not gonna read this whole thread but I love Tony and he's like 15-4 or something over the last 2 seasons. I think Dak has to stay in but it's very difficult, and it's not a small part of me that hopes very strongly we see 9 again.

Dre11

Reaction score
I still think there's a strong chance he plays this year. It's the one and only chance they have at a Super Bowl. Dak can't outplay our crappy defense against Seattle and New England.

This was a favor to Dak. Romo doesn't want to hang over Dak's head now that he has a uniform on.
Exactly, don't know why everyone's losing their minds

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Would the same be said about Romo if he beat these teams, in order to discredit him?
I'm sure it would. There's a lot of Romo hate going on not only from fans of other teams, but among Cowboys fans as well.

But it's not a matter of discrediting Dak. It's a matter of over-emphasizing negatives in one case, while over-emphasizing positives in another, instead of being more level headed in the assessments.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I just saw his speech on Dallascowboys.com. It was emotional to say the least, and it's not something he really wants to do and I understand. What happens from this day forward will determine not only what happens to the Cowboys, but what happens to Romo in the near future. Dak is sort of in a no win situation with Romo fans unless he wins the Super Bowl.

I guess it's the equivalent of seeing Johnson and Jones firing Landry, and letting all the vets go. You hate to see the end of an era but this is the life of football, and one day, Dak will be up there handing over the torch/traded, cut or retire.

Deep_South

Reaction score
Practices will be competitive but the official decision has been made for 2016. Romo's year will be 2017 and outside of Dallas. Selfishly, I hope he's quarterbacking in the AFC. The best of luck to him, except if-and-when he plays Dallas that is.

I see your point, but it is probably easier to theorize losing a game with Tony Romo on the bench than it will be to do so in real-time. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.