Romo trade vs release implications

Kaiser

Reaction score
Also I am posting list of Dallas FA this off-season so how Romo situation plays out has big implications:

PLAYER (17)

Rolando McClain ILB 27 DAL TBD $4,000,000 UFA -
Morris Claiborne CB 26 DAL TBD $3,000,000 UFA -
Ron Leary G 27 DAL TBD $2,553,000 UFA -
Barry Church SS 28 DAL TBD $2,206,750 UFA -
Mark Sanchez QB 30 DAL TBD $2,000,000 UFA -
Andrew Gachkar OLB 28 DAL TBD $1,750,000 UFA -
Darren McFadden RB 29 DAL TBD $1,500,000 UFA
Lance Dunbar RB 26 DAL TBD $1,250,000 UFA -
Jack Crawford DE 28 DAL TBD $1,100,000 UFA -
Gavin Escobar TE 25 DAL TBD $1,052,623 UFA -
Terrell McClain DT 28 DAL TBD $1,016,667 UFA -
Justin Durant ILB 31 DAL TBD $965,000 UFA -
Joshua Thomas CB 27 DAL TBD $760,000 UFA -
Terrance Williams WR 27 DAL TBD $724,243 UFA -
Kellen Moore QB 27 DAL TBD $710,000 UFA -
J.J. Wilcox FS 27 DAL TBD $702,767 UFA -
Brice Butler WR 26 DAL TBD $556,875 UFA -

The players on that list are probably a wash in terms of 2017 salaries. Of that list, Claiborne and Church probably come back at the same price along with others like DMC, Crawford, Wilcox and Butler.

The only one who will get a big pay raise is Leary and that isn't guaranteed. Guys like McClain, Gachkar and Escobar are likely to leave - saving the team 3 Million that would probably cover the raise to Leary. And Leary wasn't even considered a starter at beginning of the season, its not a lock that the team will resign him.

Wood

Reaction score
They can take the full hit in 2017 for trading Romo and still create over 30M in cap space.

Example:
1. Create 10M in cap space by Deferring 10M to 2018 by making Romo June 1st cut.

2. Create 10M in cap space by deferring 10M of money in Tyron's contract to 2018 AND take total 19.6M cap hit in 2017 from trading Romo.

Either way you create 10M in cap space in 2017 by deferring.

If thats the case then team should never do post june 1st cut and just defer contracts right before FA period begins.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
I am actually not here to convince anyone. Just wanted to clear up cap implications of releasing vs trading him. Dallas would save $10 million by releasing him vs trading him. That part isn't up for debate. What is up for debate is compensation they might get in trade or how Dallas could utilize savings post June 2nd.
This is really faulty logic.

Romo's cap hit in totality is going to be the same whether you release him or trade him. If you wan to spread it over 2 years then fine. But when we could easily create nearly 50M in cap space next year anyways....it doesn't matter. And certainly isnt' worth throwing away a high round draft pick to do.

You're just so off base with this.

Wood

Reaction score
Of those 8 who are significant contributors, how many are going to be sitting on the market after June 1st? That list has absolutely nothing to do with a post June 1 cut and you are confusing people who aren't well versed in how the salary cap works.

If they want to re-sign those guys AND Romo is a June 1st cut, they are going to need to find that money through restructures and cuts. In fact, trading Romo would actually be a bigger help in re-signing some of those since the 5 million would be available sooner.

Thats the question..is there way to defer money signed for FA or to resign current player not to hit books until after June 1st.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
we disagree that 10 million cant be used. I think it can. Why not redo Zach Martin contract and use that 10 millions towards it in 2017. Or have available cap space for trade they might need to make during season. There are ways to utilize those savings. The Romo pick will be conditional and there his high high probability he gets injured with his new team.
What do you mean use that 10M to resign Martin?

Usually when players sign extensions their first year cap hits are miniscule. We don't need that 10M next year to get him signed. Martin isn't going anywhere and his extension will likely create cap space not use it up. And certainly not use up 10M.

Common Sense

Reaction score
If thats the case then team should never do post june 1st cut and just defer contracts right before FA period begins.

There's a pretty popular team around here who has made a habit of doing exactly that.

Wood

Reaction score
This is really faulty logic.

Romo's cap hit in totality is going to be the same whether you release him or trade him. If you wan to spread it over 2 years then fine. But when we could easily create nearly 50M in cap space next year anyways....it doesn't matter. And certainly isnt' worth throwing away a high round draft pick to do.

You're just so off base with this.

yea this was purely for 2017. Not for amount rolled into 2018.

Wood

Reaction score
There's a pretty popular team around here who has made a habit of doing exactly that.

so why isn't every team in football doing it. I can't see scenario a team would want to wait until Jun 2nd but I still see it happening.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys can decline to defer Romo's dead money hit because they can defer money in other contracts.

If they had already restructured all other contracts for max deferral like they did in 2013, then they would not have the option to take a big cap hit from a trade.

Wood

Reaction score
The players on that list are probably a wash in terms of 2017 salaries. Of that list, Claiborne and Church probably come back at the same price along with others like DMC, Crawford, Wilcox and Butler.

The only one who will get a big pay raise is Leary and that isn't guaranteed. Guys like McClain, Gachkar and Escobar are likely to leave - saving the team 3 Million that would probably cover the raise to Leary. And Leary wasn't even considered a starter at beginning of the season, its not a lock that the team will resign him.

I saw Dallas running game take off after Leary started. I would try to resign him. Along with McClain, Church, Wilcox and even Butler. I am on fence about Mo.

visionary

Reaction score
Option #3 keep him as a backup since we already know his contract numbers. He'll be a very expensive but the best back up QB we can have. Furthermore, great insurance to have just in case Dak needs more time to develop (we've seen a few 1st yr QB who regress in the 2nd yrs....just saying).

This is the bottom line
The biggest determinant of your record is QB play
What if Dak has a clump of gets injured or anything....
Romo is worth a lot to a team that is ready to contend and that is us

I dont trade Romo unless someone gives me an offer I can't refuse

Wood

Reaction score
The Cowboys can decline to defer Romo's dead money hit because they can defer money in other contracts.

If they had already restructured all other contracts for max deferral like they did in 2013, then they would not have the option to take a big cap hit from a trade.

then maybe this is year to do max deferral again because I see critical pieces that need to be resigned along with FA DE.

Wood

Reaction score
This is the bottom line
The biggest determinant of your record is QB play
What if Dak has a clump of gets injured or anything....
Romo is worth a lot to a team that is ready to contend and that is us

I dont trade Romo unless someone gives me an offer I can't refuse

your not living in reality if you still see Romo in that light.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
then maybe this is year to do max deferral again because I see critical pieces that need to be resigned along with FA DE.
They can trade Romo and fit basically any free agents they want under the 2017 cap. The problem would be fitting everything under the cap in future years.

Your focus on the 2017 cap is only part of the big picture in terms of signings free agents (both their own or outside free agents).

AzorAhai

Reaction score
Thats the question..is there way to defer money signed for FA or to resign current player not to hit books until after June 1st.
That would require a handshake deal that wouldn't be signed until after the money hit the books. While I'm not entirely sure of the leagues stance on it (I would assume it's frowned upon at minimum), I can't see any player or agent agreeing to that. Asking a player to wait for two months when other teams are offering guaranteed money right then is too good to pass up. Not to mention a team could back out of that handshake deal. It's wishful thinking at best imo and against the rules at worst.

About the only good thing from that money that season would be front loading a Martin extension or signing someone if they are a late cut. Otherwise you just have unspent money on the cap and roll it into the next year which wouldn't be maximizing the roster.

Wood

Reaction score
They can trade Romo and fit basically any free agents they want under the 2017 cap. The problem would be fitting everything under the cap in future years.

Your focus on the 2017 cap is only part of the big picture in terms of signings free agents (both their own or outside free agents).

as long as I could defer money 1 year to next without extending the length of contract....I would do that all day long.

Wood

Reaction score
That would require a handshake deal that wouldn't be signed until after the money hit the books. While I'm not entirely sure of the leagues stance on it (I would assume it's frowned upon at minimum), I can't see any player or agent agreeing to that. Asking a player to wait for two months when other teams are offering guaranteed money right then is too good to pass up. Not to mention a team could back out of that handshake deal. It's wishful thinking at best imo and against the rules at worst.

About the only good thing from that money that season would be front loading a Martin extension or signing someone if they are a late cut. Otherwise you just have unspent money on the cap and roll it into the next year which wouldn't be maximizing the roster.

yea I mentioned front loading Martin extension. Plus team could have cap space if they wanted to make trade mid-season or even throw money at retired player to help position of need in event of injury.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
as long as I could defer money 1 year to next without extending the length of contract....I would do that all day long.
I don't know what you're trying to say.

Back to the point, it does not matter to the Cowboys from a cap perspective whether they trade or cut Romo. There is no savings for one vs the other.

The process of managing the cap is different but the total numbers come out the same either way.