Romo v Henson from BP PC

DBoys

Reaction score
Dale said:
Well obviously both players still must prove themselves, but one can easily surmise that Romo has proven himself on the practice field to a much greater extent than has Henson given Parcells' public position on the two (and their placement on the depth chart).

But, my original post dealt solely with the three-year rule, and how I couldn't understand how that applied to Henson still having more time while this being a put-up-or-shut-up year for Romo. As I said, if anything, the three-year rule would seem to indicate the opposite.

I think Henson's situation is unique and quite different from Romo. Jerry talked about this in past interviews.

BP hinted about this being a make or break year for Romo.

DBoys

Reaction score
theogt said:
I saw good things and bad things. All in all it was impossible to tell with that joke of a line he had.

I totally agree.

I want both of them to get some playing time and put this discussion to rest.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
DBoys said:
Talk about misinterpreting what he said...

Romo has been here longer and his test is this year.

Someone asked if BP does not like Henson and BP says that is not true. They are developing Henson just like they did Romo. Henson will eventually be tested just like Romo is this year.

Funny how even given a clear statement like that, this thread is going to hit 10 pages.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
wileedog said:
Even if, as seems likely, Romo enters the season as the solid #2, why would they just kick Henson to the curb?

IMO they will keep him until Bledsoe hangs 'em up. Then they will draft another developmental guy behind Henson. If/When *that* guy passes Henson on the depth chart, that will probably be the end of the experiment. Or conversely Henson may have developed enough over that time to challenge Romo for the top spot.

Either way, I don't see a zero sum game here.

It's really quite simple. If Parcells and Co. still see potential in Henson, he will be kept around. If they feel he's a lost cause, he will be released (why carry an expensive No. 3 QB you don't like?).

I think the decision hinges entirely around his performance here on out. I don't get the impression Parcells loves Henson as a prospect (it *seems* he is much more enamored by Romo), but that could easily change if Henson improves.

I agree that anyone who suggests they know what will happen is full of Commanders (sounds like a nice substitute for the curse word normally used here, right?). But, I am a little concerned that -- despite Henson's progression in Europe -- he isn't showing enough improvement to signal he is the prospect I once hoped he was.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
DBoys said:
I think Henson's situation is unique and quite different from Romo. Jerry talked about this in past interviews.

Well it is kind of. I mean, make or break with Cowboys anyway. What BP is basically implying, which I thought was pretty clear was, that they have decide on Romo, because they have to make attempts to re-sign him to longer deal before the season is over, if they really think he can be the future at QB for Cowboys long term.

If not, he will leave cowboys in FA in 2007 March. And I hope they make the attempts to resign him if indeed he proves he can be a good one this Pre-season. Although I would be always be skeptical of him till he plays at least few quarters in NFL. As BP mentioned, he has been impulsive player in the past in pre-season. So if he continous to do that this pre-season , then it will not be a good sign for Romo.

So I will be watching for Romo to be much better than what he has been so far with Cowboys this pre-season.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
DBoys said:

I didn't hear the interview, so I'm relying solely on the recaps here.

But it seems odd to me that he would praise him so much and say how ready he is for competition, only to follow that up by saying this is a "make or break year," as if to say a subpar effort would result in his release.

Just seems odd.

And, again, several of your posts have surrounded around Parcells' direct quotes and how you can't miss him saying Henson still has hope. Yet, when it comes to Romo, it appears -- to me, at least -- that you resort to the sort of interpretation you and others hate when it is applied to Henson.

Odd, again.

DBoys

Reaction score
abersonc said:
Funny how even given a clear statement like that, this thread is going to hit 10 pages.

Yep :(

I think Nors created all of this.

I really look forward to seing Romo play this year. At least our opinions will be based off of actual playing time and not BP PC's :p

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
Dale said:
But, I am a little concerned that -- despite Henson's progression in Europe -- he isn't showing enough improvement to signal he is the prospect I once hoped he was.

I agree, I am concerned that so far he seems like he hasn't shown the improvement that some of us hoped for considering the time well spend in NFLE, regardless of OL there. At least based on the fan reports we have seen.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
RCowboyFan said:
Well it is kind of. I mean, make or break with Cowboys anyway. What BP is basically implying, which I thought was pretty clear was, that they have decide on Romo, because they have to make attempts to re-sign him to longer deal before the season is over, if they really think he can be the future at QB for Cowboys long term.

If not, he will leave cowboys in FA in 2007 March. And I hope they make the attempts to resign him if indeed he proves he can be a good one this Pre-season. Although I would be always be skeptical of him till he plays at least few quarters in NFL. As BP mentioned, he has been impulsive player in the past in pre-season. So if he continous to do that this pre-season , then it will not be a good sign for Romo.

So I will be watching for Romo to be much better than what he has been so far with Cowboys this pre-season.

We own Henson for the next few years. So there is no pressure to see what you have now.

We need to see what to do with Romo before his contract expires and he goes off to become the next Jake Delhomme somewhere else.

I don't get how the two are intertwined. It's not really a bad thing to have two developmental QBs. It really isn't.

1fisher

Reaction score
Clove said:
I watched him last year in pre-season - I watched him in the European league this summer, and I've watched him thru-out several practices in training camp for a couple of years now, and he's wayyyyyyyyyy to average.

We don't need average, we need special. And Henson "Aint" special, IMO.

so, I guess you scout pro talent? thanks for the insight:D

superpunk

Reaction score
Alexander said:
We own Henson for the next few years. So there is no pressure to see what you have now.

We need to see what to do with Romo before his contract expires and he goes off to become the next Jake Delhomme somewhere else.

I don't get how the two are intertwined. It's not really a bad thing to have two developmental QBs. It really isn't.

Spot on. That's probably exactly what Parcells meant when talking about the difference between Romo and Henson's situations. Nice thinking.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
I agree, Alexander.

The only reason I think the possibility might exist that one would get axed is if Parcells determines he 'thinks he knows' that one or both simply doesn't have it. Now, I don't think he has made that determination yet. But I definitely think it's possible that a guy like Henson wouldn't be retained for the duration of his contract if Parcells doesn't see a future in him.

Alexander

Reaction score
superpunk said:
Spot on. That's probably exactly what Parcells meant when talking about the difference between Romo and Henson's situations. Nice thinking.

I think everyone is so used to either/or. I am right, you are wrong.

It is an unfortunate by-product of the post-traumatic stress disorder brought on by the Carter/Hutchison era.

But these two aren't even close to being considered at the same level by the staff and probably never have been. Thing of it this way: two pots, both are still soft clay. One is going in the kiln (Romo). The other is still being shaped (Henson).

Alexander

Reaction score
Dale said:
I agree, Alexander.

The only reason I think the possibility might exist that one would get axed is if Parcells determines he 'thinks he knows' that one or both simply doesn't have it. Now, I don't think he has made that determination yet. But I definitely think it's possible that a guy like Henson wouldn't be retained for the duration of his contract if Parcells doesn't see a future in him.

Nice idea.

I do think if Romo looks bad, we go after a veteran, which makes puts Henson in jeopardy out of sheer numbers alone.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
Alexander said:

It is an unfortunate by-product of the post-traumatic stress disorder brought on by the Carter/Hutchison era.

But these two aren't even close to being considered at the same level by the staff and probably never have been. Thing of it this way: two pots, both are still soft clay. One is going in the kiln (Romo). The other is still being shaped (Henson).

Are you insulting Carter and/or Hutchinson?

Why I oughta...:)

Ben_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
Clove said:
I watched him last year in pre-season - I watched him in the European league this summer, and I've watched him thru-out several practices in training camp for a couple of years now, and he's wayyyyyyyyyy to average.

We don't need average, we need special. And Henson "Aint" special, IMO.

For the past couple of years, I've never understood the hype about Henson. I can't believe he is still such a hot topic. I think fans over worshiped Henson, because they have been starved for a decent QB since Aikman retired; QB withdrawal syndrome, if you will.

But I agree with you here. He aint special; he never really has been; he's just been the hype that carried Tom Brady's jock strap in college.

The sad thing is, that's all he'll ever be. That, and the guy who Dallas Cowboy fans bowed down to for no reason.

DBoys

Reaction score
Dale said:
I didn't hear the interview, so I'm relying solely on the recaps here.

But it seems odd to me that he would praise him so much and say how ready he is for competition, only to follow that up by saying this is a "make or break year," as if to say a subpar effort would result in his release.

Just seems odd.

And, again, several of your posts have surrounded around Parcells' direct quotes and how you can't miss him saying Henson still has hope. Yet, when it comes to Romo, it appears -- to me, at least -- that you resort to the sort of interpretation you and others hate when it is applied to Henson.

Odd, again.

Your assuming my comments indicated he would be released and I am not saying that. I am simply saying this is Romo's test to be our #2. He might be a career number 3. Regardess I want to see him on the field.

Your second point is based on me saying Romo is gone if he does poorly.

I am not going to form opinions of Romo until I see him on the field. If he does well we have our number 2 if not we might need to keep looking. It could be that he drops to #3 and Henson is released.

Hard to tell until they get on the field and show us something.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
AnyGivenSunday said:
For the past couple of years, I've never understood the hype about Henson. I can't believe he is still such a hot topic. I think fans over worshiped Henson, because they have been starved for a decent QB since Aikman retired; QB withdrawal syndrome, if you will.

But I agree with you here. He aint special; he never really has been; he's just been the hype that carried Tom Brady's jock strap in college.

The sad thing is, that's all he'll ever be. That, and the guy who Dallas Cowboy fans bowed down to for no reason.
Nice first post.

superpunk

Reaction score
Alexander said:

Now that we've resolved that issue, who do we need to shoot to keep this thread in line?:)