Romo vs White

Status
Not open for further replies.

haleyrules

Reaction score
To me, they are both more similar than people want to admit.

I can't state without a doubt one was better than the other.

The main common denominator was that both were given talent deficiencies and endured a series of tragic moments that stick out and make the glorious ones seem less enjoyable.
Similar in their destinies. It really hurt to see the abuse that both of them suffered. I was a big White fan...and if people think Tony got knocked around on and off the field...just go back in time...and follow Danny's career. He was truly an outstanding Cowboy and got treated like dirt in Dallas by the fans and media.

erod

Reaction score
Romo wins four Super Bowls with Troy's teams. Troy is paralyzed on Romo's teams.

White was better than we give him credit for.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
But this whole interception "gunslinger" thing with Romo is so overblown its not funny. Did he throw some interceptions at key and/or bad times? Sure. Was he the interception gunslinger some want to make him out to be? Not really. He actually has less turnovers per pass play than any other QB (not named Dak) in Cowboy history (yes that includes Aikman - 3.0%).

The problem is twisting the narrative to your own viewpoint though. Volume wise, no, he does not have the sheer number of interceptions. But if you look at the gravity and drama of the miscues, he wins by a mile, especially as memory fades and the gaps are filled in with emotional stuff in between.

People fill in reality with a lot of things, especially over time.

Same thing applies to the 4th quarter comebacks.

Ask most people, Roger Staubach was supposed to be Captain Comeback.

Romo had 25. Staubach 15. White 12. But of those who saw them all play, who seems like they had more? Who did it more dramatically with bigger stakes?

And if you look at the "stat" itself, why Eli Manning, Mr. INT himself, has 30.

Alexander

Reaction score
Romo wins four Super Bowls with Troy's teams. Troy is paralyzed on Romo's teams.

White was better than we give him credit for.
That is complete and utter conjecture.

The talent Aikman had around him during his SB wins was embarrassing. He had a real head coach for his titles. How exactly would Romo have overcome the idiocy of installing Switzer and having the team picked apart in free agency?

lwehlers

Reaction score
i think that white was the better qb. white had to deal with a different set of rules that the defense could get away with. white won playoff games that romo could not.

punchnjudy

Reaction score
He inherited the remnants of Doomsday. Lasted about three years. Then it was smoke and mirrors with Thurman's Thieves. Then it really fell off a cliff. He had some bad bad offensive lines too.

And those three seasons were the only seasons where the team advanced in the playoffs.

He also inherited a coach whose resume dwarfs Wade and Garrett's.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He inherited the remnants of Doomsday. Lasted about three years. Then it was smoke and mirrors with Thurman's Thieves. Then it really fell off a cliff. He had some bad bad offensive lines too.

Agreed. The Cowboy defense could get a pick now and then but there overall work against the pass and run were suspect.

Alexander

Reaction score
Similar in their destinies. It really hurt to see the abuse that both of them suffered. I was a big White fan...and if people think Tony got knocked around on and off the field...just go back in time...and follow Danny's career. He was truly an outstanding Cowboy and got treated like dirt in Dallas by the fans and media.
And Romo got the royal treatment after the dark days following Aikman. He got abused but he was never having to live up to a Hall of Famer's standards.
White has no more to be ashamed of in his career than Romo does.

I admit it, when I was younger, I hated White's guts. I held him responsible for losing "The Catch" game because he fumbled the football on the final drive. I grew up and got over it. I will likely feel the same way about Romo's own tragic moments and appreciate his good moments over time.

Alexander

Reaction score
The rarity of playoff wins really hurts and will hurt Tony's legacy.
And that is too bad. The organization put him up on a pedestal that I don't think he was capable of fulfilling.

Too much was put on his shoulders. We went as well as he went and as far as he could play well. But invariably, the breakdown in learning from when we did experience some "success" was his cross to bear.

Shuff

Reaction score
I also saw the entire careers of both and it is very close. Both are great Cowboy QB's. Let's just leave it at that.

erod

Reaction score
i think that white was the better qb. white had to deal with a different set of rules that the defense could get away with. white won playoff games that romo could not.
White had way better teams around him. When they left, he lost his job.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
There is a debate going on here in San Antonio on the local ESPN radio show. Who is the third best QB in Cowboy's history between Romo and Danny White. Having seen the entire career of both, it seems evident to me, but i wanted to pose the question to the board to see if my opinion is not as concrete as i believe.

Romo and most other QBs playing today wouldnt have survived in the old NFL where def could hit and play defense.

DanTanna

Original Zone Member
Reaction score
Danny White has that 1000 yard Mormon stare that really creeped me out.

Alexander

Reaction score
Danny White has that 1000 yard Mormon stare that really creeped me out.
That semi-cross eyed look came in handy when I was upset with him. Said a few choice things about that physical characteristic of his.

Alexander

Reaction score
Not really related, but did not want to start a thread about it.

Since we are all about comparisons:

willia451

Reaction score
We all saw how Aikman did when his team went south on him in 1997 and beyond.

So I guess Aikman sucks.

Such a BS thread.

Kill yourselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.