Romo vs White

Status
Not open for further replies.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
Yeah, being a "scratch" golfer means you're a top-flight athlete.

Talk about homer.
It's certainly more impressive than hitting .400 in high school baseball, since I'm pretty sure my dog hit .500 and played multiple positions, you know kinda like every high school player in the country. Talk about homer.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's certainly more impressive than hitting .400 in high school baseball, since I'm pretty sure my dog hit .500 and played multiple positions, you know kinda like every high school player in the country. Talk about homer.

Staubach won the Heisman.

And there's no doubt in my mind that he was not only faster than Romo but possessed a stronger arm.

Hey it's like this, I think Romo was a wonderful QB.

But the best in the history of the Cowboys?

Come'on.

JakeCamp12

Reaction score
In my view, watching both play their entire careers as starters, Danny White was the better Quarterback. Going to 3 straight NFC Championship games is not an easy task. White had little to no freedom to throw the ball as much as Romo did. Just my 2 cents.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Staubach won the Heisman.

And there's no doubt in my mind that he was not only faster than Romo but possessed a stronger arm.

Hey it's like this, I think Romo was a wonderful QB.

But the best in the history of the Cowboys?

Come'on.

yeah that is silly. I haven't figured out in my mind though if Staubach was better than Aikman or vice versa

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
In a throwing era, White by a mile. A guy who went to 3 straight NFC championship games is a winner, IMO. If all the QBs back then, including Aikman were allowed to fling the ball around like Romo, they would have set unbreakable records.

In a non-throwing era, White had 155 TD passes to 132 interceptions and was a 59.7 percent passer. He had one season as a starter with less than 11 interceptions. I guess you are assuming he would become a better passer in a throwing era.

Wood

Reaction score
what made Romo unique was his escapability. White was a better leader.

Jack Burton

It's all in the reflexes.
Reaction score
No, he was beaten out in camp by Gary Hogeboom one year. Landry went back to White later in the season.

You didn't give much detail in your original statement, so I assumed you were talking about the end of White's career, not the Hogeboom years. I don't see how this relates to your opinion that White only was the starter because he was on good teams and lost the job when he was on bad teams, suggesting that White was a coattail rider, which he most definitely was not. Injuries were always the issue with White. They ended his career. And they also led to him being benched (along with public perception that White could not win the big one) for a short time to Hogeboom, because had White not been injured, Hogeboom would never have gotten an opportunity to come off the bench in the first place.

I remember the quarterback controversy. Hogeboom filled in for White when he was knocked out of the NFC championship game against the Skins, and he did ok. Not great, but ok. But it was enough to start the rumblings for change. The fans were always tough on White at that time period due to the playoff failures, and because he was never going to be Roger. I was guilty of the same anger at White myself back then. The perception was that he couldn't get Dallas over the hump, and people were getting antsy as the team got older and older and older.

White played well the following season and the team went 12-4, but once again the Boys fizzled out at the end, getting blown out in the playoff game against the Rams. The calls for Hogeboom got louder, and that's when Landry finally decided to roll the dice and make him the starter the following season. I say roll the dice, because Hogeboom never beat out White on actual statistical, merit. He was a gamble and a hope to change things up for a fading team, but quickly it became apparent that Hogeboom was not the droids that everyone had been looking for, White was named the starter once more, and the failed Hogeboom experiment was over.

Danny White > Hogeboom
Danny White < Public perception and expectations

The end.

Jack Burton

It's all in the reflexes.
Reaction score
Haven't read the whole thread, but I hope I'm not the first to say Don Meredith. The Cowboys have had 2 or 3 MVPs and Dandy Don was one of them. None of my parents' generation, who watched both play, would have taken White over Meredith.

Dandy Don was before my time. I just remember him from Monday Night Football. I really need to go back and find some old games of his to watch. I've always kind of been curious about his play.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Roger was the best Cowboy QB I ever saw.

It's like this when Roger retired he was the highest rated passer of all-time.

But maybe an even stronger argument is that there were times during Roger's career when he was considered the best QB in the NFL.

Tony was never considered the best QB in the NFL... He always trailed someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.