Romo vs White

Status
Not open for further replies.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
You didn't give much detail in your original statement, so I assumed you were talking about the end of White's career, not the Hogeboom years. I don't see how this relates to your opinion that White only was the starter because he was on good teams and lost the job when he was on bad teams, suggesting that White was a coattail rider, which he most definitely was not. Injuries were always the issue with White. They ended his career. And they also led to him being benched (along with public perception that White could not win the big one) for a short time to Hogeboom, because had White not been injured, Hogeboom would never have gotten an opportunity to come off the bench in the first place.

I remember the quarterback controversy. Hogeboom filled in for White when he was knocked out of the NFC championship game against the Skins, and he did ok. Not great, but ok. But it was enough to start the rumblings for change. The fans were always tough on White at that time period due to the playoff failures, and because he was never going to be Roger. I was guilty of the same anger at White myself back then. The perception was that he couldn't get Dallas over the hump, and people were getting antsy as the team got older and older and older.

White played well the following season and the team went 12-4, but once again the Boys fizzled out at the end, getting blown out in the playoff game against the Rams. The calls for Hogeboom got louder, and that's when Landry finally decided to roll the dice and make him the starter the following season. I say roll the dice, because Hogeboom never beat out White on actual statistical, merit. He was a gamble and a hope to change things up for a fading team, but quickly it became apparent that Hogeboom was not the droids that everyone had been looking for, White was named the starter once more, and the failed Hogeboom experiment was over.

Danny White > Hogeboom
Danny White < Public perception and expectations

The end.
Landry gave in to the fans chants. He was wrong. Hogeboom was never any good. Had one good game in that championship game and that was that. I was always in Danny's corner and as the decade progressed his teams got worse. He was about the only bright spot on the team,. Witness 1986 when the Cowboys were in contention until he got hurt. The team collapsed and they had their first losing season in 20 years.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score

25 INTS and still made the NFCCG. B b but his teams werent stacked

Eli Manning-esque

AbeBeta

Reaction score
In a throwing era, White by a mile. A guy who went to 3 straight NFC championship games is a winner, IMO. If all the QBs back then, including Aikman were allowed to fling the ball around like Romo, they would have set unbreakable records.

Danny sure tore it up in the post season!

15 tds and 16 int!

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
White and it's not even Up For Debate

Agreed.

Apparently, Romo never did well in playoffs or won a super bowl because of the following:

1. Never had a good defense
2. Had too many coaches
3. Insert extra one here

So please by all means don't list him as a blame for not doing well in playoffs or getting to super bowl. Please just don't.

I really wanted it for this guy but...
Ridiculous.

cmoney23

Reaction score
You must be very, very young...
Staubach
Aikman
Meredith
Morton
White
Romo
3-4-5 are interchangable depending on who you talk to and how sober they are. Get real! ;).

I've been a cowboys fan my entire life and I've never even heard the name "Morton" mentioned before... so I am going to go out on a wide limb and say this list is a joke.

I did a quick google search and learned that Morton played about a season for us... I really wouldn't say he's better than anyone.

haleyrules

Reaction score
I've been a cowboys fan my entire life and I've never even heard the name "Morton" mentioned before... so I am going to go out on a wide limb and say this list is a joke.

I did a quick google search and learned that Morton played about a season for us... I really wouldn't say he's better than anyone.
Well. Graig played for Dallas from 1965 to 1974 and was considered a great QB. I am a bit surprised a life long Cowboy fan has never heard of Morton. He was the Cowboy 1st rd pick...#5 overall. He was Don Meredith's back up and eventual replacement. He also led the Cowboys to SB 5. I hope this is helpfull.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Romo better than our SB heros is damned laughable. And like others have said, shows a hell of a lot about you as a football fan.

Romo better than football gods in Aikman and Roger are damned laughable. Like, wut? Give our org and glorious history some respect.

Reminds me of the 20 and 30 something's saying Ovechkin and Crosby are better than Gretzky.

GTHO

cmoney23

Reaction score
Well. Graig played for Dallas from 1965 to 1974 and was considered a great QB. I am a bit surprised a life long Cowboy fan has never heard of Morton. He was the Cowboy 1st rd pick...#5 overall. He was Don Meredith's back up and eventual replacement. He also led the Cowboys to SB 5. I hope this is helpfull.
Professional career[edit]
Dallas Cowboys[edit]
Morton was the fifth overall selection of the 1965 NFL Draft, taken by Dallas Cowboys, and spent his first four seasons as the backup for Don Meredith, but still received opportunities to play due to different injuries suffered by Meredith. In 1969 he became the starter at quarterback after Meredith's surprising retirement, but suffered a separated right shoulder in the fourth game of the season (which required surgery at the end of the year) affected his passing percentage (dropping from 71.1% to 53.6%).[4]

In 1970, although he was bothered most of the season recuperating from offseason right shoulder and right elbow operations, he led the Cowboys to Super Bowl V where the team lost 16–13 to the Baltimore Colts. This result created one of the most famous quarterback controversies in NFL history, when in 1971, head coach Tom Landry started alternating Morton with Roger Staubach, reaching its extreme against the Chicago Bears, where they alternated plays. After this famous game, Landry settled on Staubach and the Cowboys went on a 10-game winning streak that included a 24–3 victory in Super Bowl VI over the Miami Dolphins.

Morton played all of the 1972 regular season because of a separated shoulder suffered by Staubach,[5] but was replaced during a playoff game against the San Francisco 49ers. Staubach entered an apparently hopeless situation and threw two touchdown passes in the last 90 seconds to win the game 30–28,[6] eventually sealing Morton's fate with the team.

After repeatedly asking for a trade, Morton signed a WFL contract with the Houston Texans, but never played a down with them. He was traded to the New York Giants six games into the 1974 season in exchange for their number one draft choice in 1975 (#2-Randy White) and a second round draft choice in 1976 (#40-Jim Jensen).[7]

Status
Not open for further replies.