Romo vs White

Status
Not open for further replies.

haleyrules

Reaction score
Professional career[edit]
Dallas Cowboys[edit]
Morton was the fifth overall selection of the 1965 NFL Draft, taken by Dallas Cowboys, and spent his first four seasons as the backup for Don Meredith, but still received opportunities to play due to different injuries suffered by Meredith. In 1969 he became the starter at quarterback after Meredith's surprising retirement, but suffered a separated right shoulder in the fourth game of the season (which required surgery at the end of the year) affected his passing percentage (dropping from 71.1% to 53.6%).[4]

In 1970, although he was bothered most of the season recuperating from offseason right shoulder and right elbow operations, he led the Cowboys to Super Bowl V where the team lost 16–13 to the Baltimore Colts. This result created one of the most famous quarterback controversies in NFL history, when in 1971, head coach Tom Landry started alternating Morton with Roger Staubach, reaching its extreme against the Chicago Bears, where they alternated plays. After this famous game, Landry settled on Staubach and the Cowboys went on a 10-game winning streak that included a 24–3 victory in Super Bowl VI over the Miami Dolphins.

Morton played all of the 1972 regular season because of a separated shoulder suffered by Staubach,[5] but was replaced during a playoff game against the San Francisco 49ers. Staubach entered an apparently hopeless situation and threw two touchdown passes in the last 90 seconds to win the game 30–28,[6] eventually sealing Morton's fate with the team.

After repeatedly asking for a trade, Morton signed a WFL contract with the Houston Texans, but never played a down with them. He was traded to the New York Giants six games into the 1974 season in exchange for their number one draft choice in 1975 (#2-Randy White) and a second round draft choice in 1976 (#40-Jim Jensen).[7]
At least now...you have heard of him. High first round pick that took his Cowboys to the Super Bowl. He passed for more 25,000+ yards at a time when it wasn't a passing league. Injuries certainly hampered his career. He could play football and won 5 playoff games and played in two SB's. So, he certainly should be on any list that Tony Romo is on.

cmoney23

Reaction score
At least now...you have heard of him. High first round pick that took his Cowboys to the Super Bowl. He passed for more 25,000+ yards at a time when it wasn't a passing league. Injuries certainly hampered his career. He could play football and won 5 playoff games and played in two SB's. So, he certainly should be on any list that Tony Romo is on.
I've heard of him...

I said, I've never hear anyone mention him before... in any conversation of a great Dallas QB. You should learn how to properly analyze football and read.

Lets compare the two.
TD to Ints
Romo 248-114
Morton 183-187

Rating
Romo 97.1 (3rd highest in League history)
Morton 73.5

yards
Romo 34,183 (in roughly 9 seasons)
Morton 27,908 (in roughly 14 seasons)

Comp %
Romo 65.3%
Morton 54%

I could keep going, but really it's not an argument. Morton is probably more well known as a Bronco anyway...

Cowboysfan917

Reaction score
I think his career will be remembered by history more like Meredith especially with this latest turn. Great player, heavily criticized, retires too soon, succeeding in broadcasting

Coy

Reaction score
Romo no doubt.

Danny was very good but a telling stat is that he got to a Championship game while throwing for 25 Int's in a season. He must have had good teamates such as Dorsett, Pearson, Too Tall, Randy white, Harvey Martin, Charlie Watera, Dennis Thurman.

Forget about the Offensive players, give Tony that D for most of his career and he would have 2 rings.

Heck, that could apply to Troy's and Roger's D's as well but that's neither here nor there.

Repeat after me TEAM GAME

haleyrules

Reaction score
I've heard of him...

I said, I've never hear anyone mention him before... in any conversation of a great Dallas QB. You should learn how to properly analyze football and read.

Lets compare the two.
TD to Ints
Romo 248-114
Morton 183-187

Rating
Romo 97.1 (3rd highest in League history)
Morton 73.5

yards
Romo 34,183 (in roughly 9 seasons)
Morton 27,908 (in roughly 14 seasons)

Comp %
Romo 65.3%
Morton 54%

I could keep going, but really it's not an argument. Morton is probably more well known as a Bronco anyway...
Yes. Tony's stats. Good one. Tony won 2 wild card games in 10 yrs as a starter. He will always be remembered for that fact. Could never win the big game. You did say you had never heard of him. I just tried to educate you a little regarding the Cowboys history.

haleyrules

Reaction score
I've been a cowboys fan my entire life and I've never even heard the name "Morton" mentioned before... so I am going to go out on a wide limb and say this list is a joke.

I did a quick google search and learned that Morton played about a season for us... I really wouldn't say he's better than anyone.

Are you so certain now?

cmoney23

Reaction score
Yes. Tony's stats. Good one. Tony won 2 wild card games in 10 yrs as a starter. He will always be remembered for that fact. Could never win the big game. You did say you had never heard of him. I just tried to educate you a little regarding the Cowboys history.

I honestly don't respect your opinion. Or anyone that simply goes to playoff record blah blah blah. It's stupid.

It's a team game.

And the breaks are so small. All you have to do is look at the season before last. Without- 1 and 11. With 3-1ish.

Btw... did Romo drop the ball in Green Bay? Give up a big lead against the Giants?

flashback

Real Man of Genius
Reaction score
fun fact, Morton started for the Denver Broncos when the Cowboys beat them in Super Bowl XII

edit - as one of the old guys who watched them both play, I have to cast my vote for Romo over White. Danny didn't just throw interceptions, he through horrible, horrible interceptions. He didn't just throw into triple coverage, he'd point at it first. And I have no problem putting Romo 4th, behind Staubach, Aikman and Meredith. White would be 5th. I'm not sure Morton would even be 6th. I'd put him behind Bernie Kosar.

Last edited:

sean10mm

Reaction score
If you're going to compare regular-season stats you need to adjust for era.

PFR's Rate+ is the player's passer rating in a season compared to the league average for that season. If you equal the league average that season your Rate+ is 100.

Danny White
Low season: 99
High season: 122
Average season: 112

Tony Romo
Low season: 106
High season: 134
Average season: 118

Romo was clearly a better passer compared to the average passer when he played than White was vs. the average passer of his era. You can point to White's relative playoff success vs. Romo, but the Cowboys were so much better managed in that era (Landry vs. LOL) that it hardly even bears talking about.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
There is a debate going on here in San Antonio on the local ESPN radio show. Who is the third best QB in Cowboy's history between Romo and Danny White. Having seen the entire career of both, it seems evident to me, but i wanted to pose the question to the board to see if my opinion is not as concrete as i believe.
Funny..

I saw that here in San Antonio

I immediately said Danny White.

White won big games.

Romo shrank when under pressure.

No contest.

Status
Not open for further replies.