Romo vs White

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's debatable, certainly who was better. However, if you're getting ready for a meaningful playoff or championship game, give me White any day of the week. He handled the pressure of the big game better, by far.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
If I had to choose between Romo and White for my team's QB, I'd go for Tony, hands down. Danny White wasn't a QB that I trusted when the opposition offered much of a pass rush. He'd get this look on his face like he was about to cry, then you could just kiss the game goodbye! :rolleyes:

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They also played in two completely different eras....Back in the day, the CBs could hang all over the WRS. It is a far more pass friendly league now and during the Romo era. That much is not up for debate.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
QBs in every era have pressure to deal with. Some can handle it and some can't. Danny was fine without pressure. With it, he was awful.
By pressure do you mean pass rush or mental pressure. By pass rush, Romo was far better at scrambling and avoiding the pass rush. Mental mistakes are a whooooole nuther issue....... 02 FWIW.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Roger is #1 and Troy is #2. Then you can have a debate between Danny, Dandy Don and Tony. I think all 3 were good. Never had a problem with Danny in big games. I didn't go into one thinking he wasn't up for it. I can't say the same thing with Tony. However it's true Tony didn't have the running game that he should have aside from 2014.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Roger is #1 and Troy is #2. Then you can have a debate between Danny, Dandy Don and Tony. I think all 3 were good. Never had a problem with Danny in big games. I didn't go into one thinking he wasn't up for it. I can't say the same thing with Tony. However it's true Tony didn't have the running game that he should have aside from 2014.
:thumbup::clap:

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
By pressure do you mean pass rush or mental pressure. By pass rush, Romo was far better at scrambling and avoiding the pass rush. Mental mistakes are a whooooole nuther issue....... 02 FWIW.

I was singularly referring to pressure generated by the pass rush. For whatever reason, Danny could run well but just couldn't avoid the rush.

haleyrules

Reaction score
I was singularly referring to pressure generated by the pass rush. For whatever reason, Danny could run well but just couldn't avoid the rush.
Yep. White was a real, basic pocket passer. He was no scrambler lol. He was tough and could get the play out of his hands...but avoiding the rush...forget about it. Man, l watched him take some wicked hits.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Simply not in the same category. Aikman and White were stronger, better schooled, more complete QB's. Heck, l would take Morton or Meredith.

Roger was the essence of excellence -- just a complete all-around QB, imo. He could do it all. Aikman was a tough, stand-in-the-pocket competitor. To my mind, he was the most accurate passer than any QB that the Cowboys ever had. Meredith was great, I thought, although slightly more limited by the talent surrounding him than those QBs previously mentioned. I really loved his charisma, though. :)

haleyrules

Reaction score
Roger was the essence of excellence -- just a complete all-around QB, imo. He could do it all. Aikman was a tough, stand-in-the-pocket competitor. To my mind, he was the most accurate passer than any QB that the Cowboys ever had. Meredith was great, I thought, although slightly more limited by the talent surrounding him than those QBs previously mentioned. I really loved his charisma, though. :)
Amen. Heck, they were all outstanding. Aikman had a rocket for an arm and deadly accurate. Yep, Roger was Roger and even ole Tom had a hard time controlling him...he was that good.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
If one truly believes Romo was better than Roger, it leads me to believe conclusively that that individual has never seen #12 play.

I can't imagine anyone saying that. Roger was great and on a level of his own. I think Romo was very good but his legacy will never be considered as great, unless it's by the avid Cowboys fans who were weaned in his era. To be fair, the team failed to provide him with the offensive and defensive assistance that might have rendered him considerably more effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.