Video: Romo wanted Dak to check out of play in Bears game

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I agree but Troy would check out of a play if he saw an alignment that a defense was running that may be designed to stop a running play. If you see situation where the defense is loading up on the run or look to be in a run blitz situation often a good QB is going to make the defense pay for cheating up on the run and giving him the opportunity to attack down the field.

I think Dak right now is doing a very good job and as he gains more and more experience and as he sees more defensive fronts and alignments he will be able to make more adjustments and be able to attack those formations better than he does now. Dak is not a finished product he is just at the start of his career
Sometimes, it's worth it to stay with the run regardless. You would think that playing conservative would only net you about 18 - 20 points a game, yet the cowboys have been reasonably a high scoring offense, without all the glamorous passes.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Kudos to Romo for being unselfish enough to contribute generously to Dak's overall football knowledge and his reading of defenses as he has. There have been numerous QBs in the NFL's past who have selfishly avoided schooling young QBs under them with lesser levels of experience. Fortunately for Dak, he is currently enjoying benefits that few QBs making their NFL debuts have had the good fortune to enjoy. Everything really appears to be falling into place for him to excel as flawlessly as humanly possible. It's also clearly obvious that his many talents favor his being surprisingly exceptional as well. All of that, with such an exceptionally strong mindset playing a prominent role.

Last edited:

CowboysRule

Reaction score
Or he would keep checking out of runs and we would really hear the crying when Zeke doesn't get his touches. Sometimes you gotta run into unfavorable looks. Still got a couple of yards on that play...
Didn't Murray lead the league in attempts in 2014?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Sometimes, it's worth it to stay with the run regardless. You would think that playing conservative would only net you about 18 - 20 points a game, yet the cowboys have been reasonably a high scoring offense, without all the glamorous passes.

I'm sorry I disagree, I think anytime a QB can put you in a better play and make defense pay attempting to take away the run forces defense to play less aggressive which in tern only helps both the run and the pass. Of course it also depends on the situation at that point of the game. I think as time goes on and Dak becomes more experienced he will take more chances and look to attack more often.

btcutter

Reaction score
Or he would keep checking out of runs and we would really hear the crying when Zeke doesn't get his touches. Sometimes you gotta run into unfavorable looks. Still got a couple of yards on that play...

Perhaps Romo would have checked to a DIFFERENT run play? Such as toss outside or run to the weak side instead?

Ability to read D is invaluable as we play better teams especially against master coaches.

hairic

Reaction score
I think people are looking at this wrong; it's the LB shift that brought the "damn it". Romo saw the LBs start shifting playside, said damn it, camera shifts to the play where the LBs are finishing their shift, and the ball was snapped.

But yeah, they had two receivers on one side versus single high, one of them being Bryant. Flood deep and throw to the empty space ahead of the singled receiver. Could also have Zeke to the left flats or wheel as well for another chunk of yards.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I'm sorry I disagree, I think anytime a QB can put you in a better play and make defense pay attempting to take away the run forces defense to play less aggressive which in tern only helps both the run and the pass. Of course it also depends on the situation at that point of the game. I think as time goes on and Dak becomes more experienced he will take more chances and look to attack more often.
They are 7-1. You know why? Mainly because of SMART QB play. If you want to keep changing the play to a pass, you will end up making the game shorter, giving the other teams more opportunities, and throwing too much could lead to interceptions/fumbles/sacks/ and more 3rd and long situations.

There are times to change to a pass play, but sometimes even if they show that they are moving to a heavy defensive package, you have to stick with the play because a lot of times, they never bring house. Other times, they may crowd the line, so if you break through that first wave of defenders, you're gone.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
They are 7-1. You know why? Mainly because of SMART QB play. If you want to keep changing the play to a pass, you will end up making the game shorter, giving the other teams more opportunities, and throwing too much could lead to interceptions/fumbles/sacks/ and more 3rd and long situations.

There are times to change to a pass play, but sometimes even if they show that they are moving to a heavy defensive package, you have to stick with the play because a lot of times, they never bring house. Other times, they may crowd the line, so if you break through that first wave of defenders, you're gone.

I know they are 7-1 and I know Dak is still a rookie and is not a finished product and will only improve given time and experience. Right now Dak is playing to his strength and over time he will add more and more to his game to make him an even better QB. I don't question his intelligence matter of fact it is his intelligence and dedication that makes me feel that Dak will continue to develop and become a very dangerous QB in this league.

conner01

Reaction score
Just one of those things a vet picks up over a rookie
In time Dak will have all that knowledge.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
I saw this and my first thought is who cares?

The play ran and they gained positive yards, instead of checking out letting the play clock drain to one and maybe hoping you catch the Bears in the wrong defense...maybe.

I seem to remember plenty of checking out in Romo's last game, you remember the one where he threw three picks?

ThrowuptheXDez88

Reaction score
Dak is a rookie and will learn how to make changes at the line.. People trying to find all the plays they can to nipick!

GIFTS86

Reaction score
I think this is a great video. It shows Romo's intelligence and caring for the team's success. I hope romo is here for a couple more years to stay in Dak's ear and help him as much as possible. There is no one better to help dak then romo.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Dak is a rookie and will learn how to make changes at the line.. People trying to find all the plays they can to nipick!

I can only say I don't say that to nitpick I say it because I think as good as Dak is now he will be even better as he gains that invaluable experience. I am very impressed with his poise and his demeanor. Even with all the press this kid is getting he has remained grounded. The more I see Dak the more I get excited about his and this teams future.

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
Its amazing the hate on Romo from the Dak fanboys. Dak is great and is going to learn for sure, but Romos smarts are already there, there should be no doubt hes mentally more prepared at this point in his career.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think people are looking at this wrong; it's the LB shift that brought the "damn it". Romo saw the LBs start shifting playside, said damn it, camera shifts to the play where the LBs are finishing their shift, and the ball was snapped.

But yeah, they had two receivers on one side versus single high, one of them being Bryant. Flood deep and throw to the empty space ahead of the singled receiver. Could also have Zeke to the left flats or wheel as well for another chunk of yards.
Just wanted to quote this, because this is an alternate view of the same play.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score

Or he would've checked, then check again when the defense showed something differently and then had another check and somebody would go offsides.

It sounds great to do, but sometimes checking out of plays too much is the worst thing you can do, even if you have the right play in mind.

YR

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
It's funny how people actually believe the play needs to be changed. These plays are designed to slow the game down. A running play into a heavy package is a smart play if you have our offensive line. This is when you can fool them. You can call a fake run play later on in the game, no audible, then make a huge play down the field.

Sometimes, it's just not smart to change the play.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

Have you forgotten how many times DeMarco Murray carried the ball in 2014? I hate that Romo didn't allow him to get his touches.

silver

Reaction score

I agree. Sometimes is better to stay the course to set up something else later in the game with a play action fake. So far we've seen Dak play his best in the two minute offense so we know he can improvise and move the team. Sticking with the run though, is this team bread and butter, sets up the passing game, helps shorten the game and keeps the defense fresh. If it aint broke...

GIFTS86

Reaction score
I agree. Sometimes is better to stay the course to set up something else later in the game with a play action fake. So far we've seen Dak play his best in the two minute offense so we know he can improvise and move the team. Sticking with the run though, is this team bread and butter. Sets up the passing game and helps shorten the game and keeps the defense fresh. If it aint broke...
Don't fix it what what